Stalemate of the Mongoose: No Conan For You!

Ravelli

Mongoose
The State of the Mongoose 2009 article is up, and it's a stand-off! Neither Mongoose or Paradox have blinked, so it's bye-bye to any new Conan rpg books until the license ends.

"Conan
A disagreement between ourselves and the licence holders has resulted in Conan being suspended in limbo. It is a tricky position – we cannot produce more material for the game (sales of further OGL Conan supplements will simply not justify the work required), and we have been forbidden to move the sword-swinging barbarian to a new games system.

It is a shame, but our loss is your gain. We have resolved to do the following in 2010.

First, we are bringing the price of all existing Conan books down to make it the best value fantasy RPG around. If you were debating about whether to dip into the Hyborian Age or wanted to complete your existing collection, now is the time! From January, the glorious 424 page main rulebook will be retailing for just $29.99 or £20, for example, while the Player’s Guide to the Hyborian Age will be just $14.99 or £10.

Second, we are going to be unleashing the power of Signs & Portents to support Conan throughout the year. We have built up a huge stock of player submitted adventures and writers’ rules-doodles. They will now be made available, for free, in the online magazine. Just click to download!"

Well, that just...sucks. Not a surprising outcome given where things stood during the last announcement, but damn.

Any chance that Empires of Hyboria would be released as a PDF or Print-on-demand? Worst case, can the content get a Signs-n-Portents treatment?

While I'm not surprised at the news* about the fate of the Conan OGL line, it is a shame that neither Empires of the Hyborian Age nor the Thief's Companion will likely see print. Man, I wanted that first one especially!

Ah, well, none of this will stop me from getting my Conan campaign off the ground at the earliest opportunity (gotta finish the D&D one we're playing first). Like the food at a Roman banquet, you just can't keep a good game down (sorry, a little non sequitur vomitorium humor...bad joke, I know).

I'm sad to note, too, that the Conan forum has moved almost to the bottom of the list, right above "Other Roleplaying Games". Ouch! :cry:

* (or, rather, lack thereof...we all knew it was in limbo, right?)

What a shame- I know I'm only a player/fan while others put considerable blood,sweat and tears into bringing Conan alive after all these decades of role playing. I'm sorry and very thankful to all those involved.
I will be playing your Conan RPG for many moons to come. The 30 years I gamed without it was well worth the wait.

Quelle merde... :cry:

EDIT: have you noticed that the Conan forum is already low in the forum list ?
Time to save in your local HDD any stuff you loved before oblivion...

A shame... though the quality of Mongoose Conan supplements certainly dropped significantly after Return to the Road of the Kings (the last Conan book I bought). Empires might have been interesting to see.

Man! Seems like only yesterday that Mongoose launched the Conan RPG. It has been a great ride. Thanks to Mongoose for creating the definitive Conan RPG (IMHO). I've had a blast playing your game - knocking out suckers & lighting up chumps in the Hyborian Age.

Please give us a warning before you take down the Conan page and this forum.

Thanks 'Goose! 8)

Conan is what got me to the goose!!! I absolutly love the game. And I must be one of the only few that like the game in d20 version. But one good thing is that we will see more Conan in S&P! :eek:

And I have been thinking of doing an article on Zamboula since we obviously won't see an "official supplement".

Even if everybody knows what I think of the current game engine, I've been enjoying the whole Conan range from the start to the end.

Thanks for everything, Mongoose pals, it's been a good ride. You don't deserve what's happening to you and I hope the company will do well without this license.

I'll be there for the MRQ or Traveller stuff anyway...

Cheers!

I'm quite surprised of this comment though and wonder what he may really mean:
We cannot produce more material for the game (sales of further OGL Conan supplements will simply not justify the work required)

Considering a saying (or is it a taunting) from the tribes of the godess (Slaine), I'd say D20 fans have a high pitched voice but no balls. :lol:

Hervé said:
Even if everybody knows what I think of the current game engine, I've been enjoying the whole Conan range from the start to the end.

Thanks for everything, Mongoose pals, it's been a good ride. You don't deserve what's happening to you and I hope the company will do well without this license.

I'll be there for the MRQ or Traveller stuff anyway...

Cheers!

Can I be frank?

SHAME ON YOU BLOODY "CONAN RUNEQUESTERS"

Mongoose listen to you and the Conan properties blocked them BECAUSE they planned about a Conan Runequest in the last year of license.

If they planned it 2 years ago it was no problem....but they listen TOO MUCH to you and all those bloody people complaining about Conan d20 IN THIS FORUM (dedicated to Conan d20).
Tell me what you like.
Reply me whatever you like with you neverending "Runequest is wonderful and I support Mongoose" posts.
The continuous, childish, nerdish "Conan d20 sucks but I buy waiting for Conan Runequest killing d20" was more than a bother.
Mongoose gave us the best Sword & Sorcery games I ever seen....and you still complained about it...
I'm convinced you killed Mongoose Conan (whatever Conan d20 or the never existing Conan RQ) and Mongoose killed Mongoose Conan because they listen too much on your complains.
They thought that Conan RQ or Savage Worlds was supposed to be a sucess whatever Conan Properties/Paradox would have said.....fools...
Shame on you Mongoose people.
Next time think twice before deciding.
You could have switched system next year, have destroyed Conan d20, but we would have get (AT LEAST) Hyborian Empires (which as far as I know it is ready....).
Hervè....I know you will reply 10.000 times to this post....but I do not care what you will say and I will not reply you.
Everybody who have frequented these forums for the past 3-4 years knows that I'm right.

LucaCherstich said:
[
I'm convinced you killed Mongoose Conan (whatever Conan d20 or the never existing Conan RQ) and Mongoose killed Mongoose Conan because they listen too much on your complains.

They didn't and we didn't.

All games have cycles, and OGL Conan had come to the end of its. With RQ2 set to be a massive hit next year, it was a very obvious step to move it to those mechanics.

At the end of the day, pretty much everyone who was going to buy OGL Conan had already done so. The only new market was in a new system. The only viable choices were RQ2 and _possibly_ Pathfinder. With Pathfinder being an unknown in the market at the time, and being such a small shift in mechanics as to make no difference, the decision was made to switch to RQ2.

Then unmade, but that is another story.

Irritated as I was by the constant polemics, it was, in the end, a handful of complainers on a message board. I'm sure Mongoose makes its decisions based on harder data than that.

I am certainly not mourning Conan RQ, but it is a fact that I feel I have all the material I need to run, and I suspect I wouldn't have bought much more.

Sic transit gloria mundi...

If it has to be a question of system I think then Mongoose should purchase the Warhammer RPG licence to do a Conan game. I'm sure it would fit perfectly.

And so passes Conan RPG, the best fantasy world I've ever GMed. Shame really, so much potential now lost.

Back