Stalemate of the Mongoose: No Conan For You!

LucaCherstich said:
Can I be frank?

SHAME ON YOU BLOODY "CONAN RUNEQUESTERS"

Mongoose listen to you and the Conan properties blocked them BECAUSE they planned about a Conan Runequest in the last year of license.

If they planned it 2 years ago it was no problem....but they listen TOO MUCH to you and all those bloody people complaining about Conan d20 IN THIS FORUM (dedicated to Conan d20).
Tell me what you like.
Reply me whatever you like with you neverending "Runequest is wonderful and I support Mongoose" posts.
The continuous, childish, nerdish "Conan d20 sucks but I buy waiting for Conan Runequest killing d20" was more than a bother.
Mongoose gave us the best Sword & Sorcery games I ever seen....and you still complained about it...
I'm convinced you killed Mongoose Conan (whatever Conan d20 or the never existing Conan RQ) and Mongoose killed Mongoose Conan because they listen too much on your complains.
They thought that Conan RQ or Savage Worlds was supposed to be a sucess whatever Conan Properties/Paradox would have said.....fools...
Shame on you Mongoose people.
Next time think twice before deciding.
You could have switched system next year, have destroyed Conan d20, but we would have get (AT LEAST) Hyborian Empires (which as far as I know it is ready....).
Hervè....I know you will reply 10.000 times to this post....but I do not care what you will say and I will not reply you.
Everybody who have frequented these forums for the past 3-4 years knows that I'm right.

Quite a rant but totally out of order and wrong I would say.

D20 was fine in its day but that day is gone mate.

As MS says RQ2 was the logical successor and whether it would have been better/worse/etc is a moot point now. There is enough material out there to keep a Campaign going years AND there is S&P.

It was the Licence holder that has done the damage - no one else. Take a step back and look at it objectively.

That said - it is your opinion and you are welcome to it just as this is mine.

So wait a minute, either D20 is done or we get more of "Well if they go to RuneQuest, your d20 books dont disappear! You can still play it!" every time someone calls the D20 haters out on their nonsense. Which is it?

Seriously? You cant see the difference about if a game is actively supported or dropped by the company? Please.

And I love the attitude that d20 fans are unreasonable because we dont like people taking shots at a game system we enjoy. Tell you what, go onto a AD&D forum and start taking shots at that game system and see what happens.

Hate to break it to ya, RQ fans, but Runequest aint the future of RPGs either. 4e is. I dont like the new system, but Im not gonna deny it.

Sad, but on the other end like many folk here, I've all the stuff to run Conan game for many year.

And I can make my own conversion if I want to change system. and still get to use all the no-d20 stuff from OGL book.

msprange said:
At the end of the day, pretty much everyone who was going to buy OGL Conan had already done so.

So, sales of the Conan game system are dropping off?

What about sticking with the same system and delivering some highly yearned for titles?

How about a fantastic supplement on Turan?

How about adventures that tie-in with the ones we've read about in the Conan books--not recaps of the same adventure, as you did with Tower of the Elephant (which I like) but adventures that take an old Conan story and expand it.

It seems like there's still lots of material that could be covered with the Conan game.

I'm guessing sales don't support it?

treeplanter said:
Sad, but on the other end like many folk here, I've all the stuff to run Conan game for many year.

And I can make my own conversion if I want to change system. and still get to use all the no-d20 stuff from OGL book.

Well said !

Well, for what it's worth, I loved Conan d20 and will miss it on our rosters.

*bows and sets down his sword in respect*

But there will always be action and adventure in my blood...

*quickly picks up the sword and runs off to chop down my foes in bloody arterial sprays*

:D

Sad day. My first post here in 2003 was about the soon-to-be released Conan rpg. I think it's the first time in all these years that I'm not interested in any more of the rpg lines Mongoose currently produces.

Thanks to everybody for all the great work every author delivered on the Conan line. I'm probably not close to see any of that dedication applied again anytime soon to my favorite barbarian.

Well, there's still the S&P stuff to come but it won't be the same. Great zine by the way, which title derives from my second favorite cancelled rpg line, Babylon 5.

Matt,

Please, please PLEASE release the text for Empires of the Hyborian Age in PDF format at drivethrurpg.com. I'm begging you here as I was planning on using that supplement as an end game for my 3+ year campaign. I don't care if it's just a PDF of an MS Word file. Seriously, I'd been looking forward to that supplement for a LONG time. I've supported Mongoose's Conan line for years and was hoping that even if the 'goose lost the license then it'd go out with a bang. Release it as a PDF. I'll pay for it. Thank you.

msprange said:
At the end of the day, pretty much everyone who was going to buy OGL Conan had already done so. The only new market was in a new system. The only viable choices were RQ2 and _possibly_ Pathfinder. With Pathfinder being an unknown in the market at the time, and being such a small shift in mechanics as to make no difference, the decision was made to switch to RQ2.

I know I will stoned for suggesting this :) but was D&D4e/GSL considered? I see that Wraith Recon for 4e has been dropped so I assume that it has dropped off Mongoose's radar.

What a shame, but I'm slightly indifferent. I'm not a huge fan of d20, Runequest, or Savage Worlds, but the options would have been nice. I had not gotten a new books since Ruins, because I'm more interested in stuff that highlights S&S style gaming (in a rule neutral way) then some stuffy fluff books (Nosepickers of Hyboria) or heavy crunch books (Book of 101 Nosepicking Feats). As nice as the Roads of Kings books are, putting too much details into every inch of a setting makes it feel too much like Tékumel (a beautifully detailed setting, but a real headache to get into). I cant wait to see what they are going to put into S&P - I would rather see scrap rules in S&P, then pay for it in an overpriced splatbook.

Even if was still into the Conan d20 line, I would not blame the Goose for taking feedback from the fans - hell, commend that sort of thing! It takes a lot of brass to go over the license holder's heads like that - praise be with the Goose! If anything, I say shame to the LLC for being so squared - how can anyone pass up leather bound?!?! REAL LATHER!!!

If the Conan license tanks, I hope Mongoose continue the game system with S&S-friendly version of Pathfinder. That is, the Conan rulebook that is expunged of all the Hyborian Age fluff to be more setting neutral, with rules that are easier to work with - like Pathfinder, but without it being a total ripoff of it.

This limbo needs not be a total waste! We - the fans - can redouble our effort at making fan-made Conan martial. We could scour the forum to find our articles, so they can be put into files, so folks can print them out and use them freely. We could do our own files, or make a common Conan e-zine - that would be awesome! I know it sounds like I'm smoking on something funny, but it would be nice to see stuff made beyond just Vincent and Thulsa. So what say you?

msprange said:
LucaCherstich said:
[
I'm convinced you killed Mongoose Conan (whatever Conan d20 or the never existing Conan RQ) and Mongoose killed Mongoose Conan because they listen too much on your complains.

They didn't and we didn't.

All games have cycles, and OGL Conan had come to the end of its. With RQ2 set to be a massive hit next year, it was a very obvious step to move it to those mechanics.

At the end of the day, pretty much everyone who was going to buy OGL Conan had already done so. The only new market was in a new system. The only viable choices were RQ2 and _possibly_ Pathfinder. With Pathfinder being an unknown in the market at the time, and being such a small shift in mechanics as to make no difference, the decision was made to switch to RQ2.

Then unmade, but that is another story.

First of all we have to see if this will be really a "massive hit"...

Sorry for the bitter in my previous post but I'm really upset.

I know I'l keep on playing this game wether you produce new products or not.... and I knew Conan was about to change system.....but you definitevely chose the wrong time.That cannot be denied.

But were the Conan sales so bad to delete 2 product which, as far as we know, were complete and ready to be published?

I know Conan d20 was dead (and I still have doubts wether bad sales killed it...or you considered it dead to support RQ....which is not a system more modern than d20...it is just your system now...and is it really a powerseller if compared to Conan?????).

I repeat: I knew Conan was about to be killed, I just complain about:

1) an abrupt end cutting off 2 ready products

2) a series of bad choices you made regarding authors/subjects for the Conan products after RtRoK....if you listened more to the voice "pay Vincent to write a Turan sourcebook" I'm sure more people would have bought it....rather than the mediocre Khitai & Cimmeria & Cities....

3) the bloody "super-secret project" you started working on (I REALLY HATED THAT USELESS WAITING)...without the clear support of Conan Properties....I like real leather....but you should have asked them about atlases and (I KNOW I DISLIKE IT) but you should have switched to RQ last Year....not NOW and lose the thing.

Now we do not have Conan RQ.

We just have NO MORE MONGOOSE CONAN.....and I ask myself....if I was Conan Properties would I renew the license after such dumb choices in the last year of past license?

This is why I say that I praise you because you produced the best S&S game ever....but I blame you to have killed it.

LucaCherstich said:
Can I be frank?

Mongoose listen to you and the Conan properties blocked them BECAUSE they planned about a Conan Runequest in the last year of license.

If they planned it 2 years ago it was no problem....but they listen TOO MUCH to you and all those bloody people complaining about Conan d20 IN THIS FORUM (dedicated to Conan d20).
Tell me what you like.
Reply me whatever you like with you neverending "Runequest is wonderful and I support Mongoose" posts.
The continuous, childish, nerdish "Conan d20 sucks but I buy waiting for Conan Runequest killing d20" was more than a bother.
Mongoose gave us the best Sword & Sorcery games I ever seen....and you still complained about it...
They thought that Conan RQ or Savage Worlds was supposed to be a sucess whatever Conan Properties/Paradox would have said.....fools...
You could have switched system next year, have destroyed Conan d20, but we would have get (AT LEAST) Hyborian Empires (which as far as I know it is ready....).
Hervè....I know you will reply 10.000 times to this post....but I do not care what you will say and I will not reply you.
Everybody who have frequented these forums for the past 3-4 years knows that I'm right.

Well, should I blame you for not getting MRQ Conan? Probably not. Matt has already given his piece so all this is just idle speculation as is your blaming us who wanted MRQ Conan. Yes, I wanted MRQ Conan. I understand why Conan RPG was a d20 game when it came out (d20 system was all the rage at the time and Mongoose had a knack of tailoring the system). Yes, d20 Conan was a brilliant game or at least the fluff was great and I suppose the rules changes from D&D version of d20 were quite fitting to the genre.

I am sad to see the game to go even if I was not actually playing (or running) it. You see, d20 was just not my cup of tea. If you liked the system, good for you. I'm glad you had an opportunity to have game line using a system you liked. If I voiced my interest in RQ version it was a wish and it would have been grand if it would have come through. Frankly, I would not have cared if Mongoose dropped the d20 support or not if I would have gotten an RQ version :)

Besides, your arguments are quite a ridiculous. "They listened to you too much." and "It would have been different if they had done it two years ago.". Umm... okay, do you mean that they listened to us for too long before deciding? :) Come on, that's silly.

As for the timing, I think it was a strategical call. Mongoose had this MRQ2 coming out at the beginning of 2010 and they were dropping all other systems in favor of in house systems (MRQ2 and Traveller) for their own projects. d20 system was already going downward (I believe) and Savage Worlds is gaining more and more momentum. I have been to SW forums and many there think that it would work pretty well with Conan. With only that data in hand, I would have thought that it would have made Mongoose's chance of getting the license extended even better than with d20 version only. For me, that makes sense.

For me this forum was always a Conan RPG forum not just d20 Conan RPG forum. If that would have been the case, I am sure the moderators would have intervened and told people to stop writing non d20 Conan threads.

I better stop now but I just had to answer this because I felt that this was uncalled for to blame us for the death of the Conan RPG line. I really hope that Mongoose will try and get the license renewed but this time with MR2.

SnowDog said:
LucaCherstich said:
Can I be frank?

Tell me what you like.

Well, should I blame you for not getting MRQ Conan? Probably not. Matt has already given his piece so all this is just idle speculation as is your blaming us who wanted MRQ Conan. Yes, I wanted MRQ Conan. I understand why Conan RPG was a d20 game when it came out (d20 system was all the rage at the time and Mongoose had a knack of tailoring the system). Yes, d20 Conan was a brilliant game or at least the fluff was great and I suppose the rules changes from D&D version of d20 were quite fitting to the genre.

I am sad to see the game to go even if I was not actually playing (or running) it. You see, d20 was just not my cup of tea. If you liked the system, good for you. I'm glad you had an opportunity to have game line using a system you liked. If I voiced my interest in RQ version it was a wish and it would have been grand if it would have come through. Frankly, I would not have cared if Mongoose dropped the d20 support or not if I would have gotten an RQ version :)

Besides, your arguments are quite a ridiculous. "They listened to you too much." and "It would have been different if they had done it two years ago.". Umm... okay, do you mean that they listened to us for too long before deciding? :) Come on, that's silly.

As for the timing, I think it was a strategical call. Mongoose had this MRQ2 coming out at the beginning of 2010 and they were dropping all other systems in favor of in house systems (MRQ2 and Traveller) for their own projects. d20 system was already going downward (I believe) and Savage Worlds is gaining more and more momentum. I have been to SW forums and many there think that it would work pretty well with Conan. With only that data in hand, I would have thought that it would have made Mongoose's chance of getting the license extended even better than with d20 version only. For me, that makes sense.

For me this forum was always a Conan RPG forum not just d20 Conan RPG forum. If that would have been the case, I am sure the moderators would have intervened and told people to stop writing non d20 Conan threads.

I better stop now but I just had to answer this because I felt that this was uncalled for to blame us for the death of the Conan RPG line. I really hope that Mongoose will try and get the license renewed but this time with MR2.
QFT. Besides, further ridiculous ranting like the above is pointless considering that Matt said what needed to be said. None except Matt had the complete picture of sales, market etc. which called for a solution like the one he tried. If shame should be put on someone, it's the licence holders. And even then, I have my doubts. Perhaps they found a more profitable way to use the licence, and in the end, people is in business for the money. For us it's a game, for many people is work.

LucaCherstich said:
I know Conan d20 was dead (and I still have doubts wether bad sales killed it...or you considered it dead to support RQ....which is not a system more modern than d20...it is just your system now...and is it really a powerseller if compared to Conan?????).
I think you already said it. Conan is the selling point here. Given chance I am sure that MRQ2 version would/will sell as well as d20 version. Well, maybe not as much because the market is already saturated with excellent Conan material and those who already have d20 Conan material might be hesitant to switch the systems (and thus pay for it). I must confess that I only have the first edition core book (yes, not even the Atlantean Edition) and a few sourcebooks but I didn't stop buying them because I didn't like them I just had to make hard choice where to spend my money. Because I didn't actively run the game, it was still a hard choice to make.

From what I have read in many forums people are loosing interest in D&D 4 so maybe they are looking for another system and should it have a Conan as a setting it might very well be a winner.

rabindranath72 said:
QFT. Besides, further ridiculous ranting like the above is pointless considering that Matt said what needed to be said. None except Matt had the complete picture of sales, market etc. which called for a solution like the one he tried. If shame should be put on someone, it's the licence holders. And even then, I have my doubts. Perhaps they found a more profitable way to use the licence, and in the end, people is in business for the money. For us it's a game, for many people is work.
QFT?

Yes, in a grand scheme of things it is a useless rant. I just got a bit worked up on getting blamed groundlessly.

Besides I admitted that it was speculation and that I didn't even have all the information. This is, after all a place for discussion, right? ;) I was not blaming anyone, not Mongoose, not even the license holder. Or was I?

SnowDog said:
rabindranath72 said:
QFT?

Yes, in a grand scheme of things it is a useless rant. I just got a bit worked up on getting blamed groundlessly.

Besides I admitted that it was speculation and that I didn't even have all the information. This is, after all a place for discussion, right? ;) I was not blaming anyone, not Mongoose, not even the license holder. Or was I?
LOL sorry the "rant" was aimed at the poster above you, not you. :lol:

Back