Stalemate of the Mongoose: No Conan For You!

Jotenbjorn said:
I think Pathfinder would have to be more than slightly adapted. It addressed 3.5's class balance problems by powering up all the classes, which removes it farther from the inherent grittiness of Hyboria than even 3.5 is. It would require at least as extensive a rewrite as 3e needed to fit the Conan RPG. Outside of Mongoose the company I would most like to pick up the franchise would be Green Ronin, their Mythic Vistas series was outstanding. Testament occupies a prominent place on my bookshelf. Just as long as White Wolf doesn't get a hold of it, goth Conan battling emo Thoth-Amon does not sit well with me.

The suggestion is making Conan compatible in the sense that it would be based off of Pathfinder, not to use Pathfinder to run Conan outright. That said, if that WERE done, the only thing that would be problematic would be the Pathfinder spellcasters and given that Conan didn't use D&D's spellcasters, I don't see why Pathfinder spellcasters would be used.

If anything, the more powerful Pathfinder classes are more in line with Conan: few if any dead levels, the Conan RPG's races have more abilities and stat mods than your typical D&D human, etc.

Malcadon said:
Any worse then they did with Street Fighter the Storytelling Game? :lol: (SFtSTG was not as bad as the so called Street Fighter movie, but it could have been done a lot better if they tried)

15 years is a long time to hold a grudge :)

centerfire said:
hal said:

Nah. F'r'instance, I'll forgive George Lucas for this when I'm dead.

Fair enough. But in that case, GL did that in the prime of his life and hasn't done much to show change since then. WW, on the other hand, is a company that through many staff change is almost a completely different entity from those fledgling days.

hal said:
Actually I don't hold them any sort of grudge for ST. I still like the game, but I play it more to the flavor of Double Dragon and Final Fight, and downplay the well organized tournament plays in place of back-alley and underground bouts. It plays much better like a 70's Blaxploitation version of a Steve Costigan yarn.

My only disappointment with White Wolf, is how they put way too much into their fiction. Their sourcebooks always have a lot to say, but a whole lot of nothing to say!

And for the record: "The Force" is an unexplainable and unmeasurable element that binds all of reality together! The Jedi Order was always profoundly wise! And Han fired first, dammit!

Malcadon said:
And for the record: "The Force" is an unexplainable and unmeasurable element that binds all of reality together! The Jedi Order was always profoundly wise! And Han fired first, dammit!

Damn skippy. Midichlorians my butt!

Ah well, the end of Mongoose Conan...

Theres been some accusations, some denials, some arguments and even some strangely misguided statements. It cant have been the fact that it was a D20 game, surely! :roll:

I cant help but think that there was a certain amount of self-fulfilling prophesy going on, you know, 'Conans sliding, lets concentrate on other stuff, oh look, its sliding some more...' Ive been looking through the 2nd edition stuff, and theres very few highlights in actual fact, and this comes from someone who arrived late to the game. I think its unrealistic to assume that the Empires and Thief books would have been kick-ass. I can pretty much guess what the Thief book would have looked like.

No, Mongoose has done all it can with Conan, it would be crazy for them to even consider attempting to maintain the licence. Whatever, theres enought material there for a good GM to extrapolate a personal Turanian campaign, surely.

Jotenbjorn said:
Malcadon said:

Damn skippy. Midichlorians my butt!

Qui-Gon Jinn: "Vegeta, what it that boy's Midichlorian level?"

Vegeta: "IT'S OVER NINE THOUSAND!!!!"

over9000.jpg

I was thinking just that, when I saw the movie! :roll:

Just curious, why you wont be able to play Conan anymore?
It's not like they are rerossessing your books.
You still have numerous sourcebooks for lands, rulebooks, etc?
If your erstwhile Conan players are deserting you, that's your fault for failing to be a good roleplayer or GM, right?
Do you need anymore books on ruins, nations, spells, etc???
You could invent your own stuff

Hate to be pedantic, but, if you're going to play via email, I'd pay some respect to punctuation and sentences which contain definite articles. :)

It's too bad! I was hoping you guys would update "Ruins of Hyboria" for 2nd Edition!

How about a final hardcover Art Book that encmpasses color cover-art for every single Conan release you did? Technically, you would not be making any new material there. Please consider this!

kintire said:
Only one 'u' there, I think.

No, its an onomatopoeic reproduction of a traditional verbal expresssion of scepticism, not an attempt to spell the actual word.

No, 'sure' is 'to be certain', it is not an onomatopoeic word. Onomatopoeic words are characterised by having no meaning other than to suggest a sound. I think you probably wished to stress the word as a cynical expression. You may have been better served by using an italicised form, rather than merely misspelling it.

However, I will accept it as an informal comment.

Having been concentrating on the Traveller boards, this news actually came as a shock to me.

Frankly, I don't care who's fault it was, I'm going to miss D20 Conan.
Mongoose's version of the system was fast and the innovative idea of the player's choice as to the version of AC they used (dodge or parry) gave it a bit of flavor standard D20 was lacking.

I am a huge fan of 4e, but I agree that the system just wouldn't feel right for the Conan setting.
However, unless the Mongoose folks ported in the Parry/Dodge defense system and dropped the overpowered spellcasters, Pathfinder wouldn't be it either.

In fact, I'd rather amputate my left foot with an irate tom-cat than play Pathfinder.
(The world-setting is great, but the over-amping of the spellcasters makes it far more of "Spellcaster edition" than 3.5 could ever hoped to have been.)

Runequest? I'm sorry, but that one doesn't thrill me. Runequest has always been "meh" to me, and even the improvements Mongoose has brought to it hasn't changed that. The only thing that could be worse would be the ICE/Rolemaster rules, and I'd rather take that aforementioned tom-cat to my sensitive dangly bits than play ICE/Rolemaster.

I am sorry to read that there willnot be any new books for the Conan RPG -- I really hav eenjoyed it and plan to continue enjoying it. I will definitely be checking the Signs and Portents content. Keep up the great work Mongoose!

Back