Spring Attack for thieives?

Darkmind

Mongoose
Hi, I have a problem and was wondering if one of you gurus can help. I am running a Conan game now using the Second Edition rules and one of my players is playing a thief. This player would like to get the spring attack feat (or at least the benefits of it) but the feat is not in any of the game books that I can tell (well any we have that is) and he doesn't want to cross class to try to get it through the mobility class feature. Is there away he can get it or should I just allow him to take it as feat normally??

Hello;

The spring attack feat does not exist in Conan, it is replaced by the mobility chain, exclusive to Barbarian, Nomad and Pirate.

Mobility: +4 Dodge defense against AOO.
Improved mobility: No AOO if you move 10 feet or more during a round.
Greater mobility: Move your speed and make full-attack.

Now if you want to allow the 3.5 dnd version of the feat, it is up to you!

Thanks, I think I will under the the restriction that it won't stack with Improved/Greater mobility. Which I don't see as a problem since this all came about from him not wanted to leave the Thief class in the first place

You may want to have the thief player look into this feat from Hyboria's Fallen

Acrobatic Attack
(General)

You can make a series of attacks against your opponents while
jumping and tumbling past them.
Prerequisites: Dexterity 13+, Intelligence 13+, base attack bonus +6 or higher, Combat Expertise, Dodge, Skill Focus (Tumble)
Benefit: A successful Tumble check (DC 25) allows you to tumble up to 20 feet without provoking attacks of opportunity. In addition, you may make a full attack action while you tumble but you may not attack from any single 5-foot square more than once. You take a –2 penalty on each attack you make while using this feat.
Special: Acrobatic Attack cannot be used with ranged or reach weapons. If you use two weapons or a double weapon, you still may attack only once from any given 5-foot square.

Even without this supplemental feat, Tumble can be used nicely to avoid AoOs for a Thief.

Keep in mind that in Conan, _anyone_ can move both before and after an attack, as opposed to D&D 3.X. You don't need a feat for it. However, you still draw AoOs as usual.

Of course, the "cheapest" way to avoid AoOs would be to take Mobility as feat, then 5 levels in a Mobility class, so the class feature gets stacked up to Improved Mobility.

Failing that, i.e. if you simply don't want to take levels in a Mobility class, you should have a look at the Fleet Footed feat. You can take it up to 3 times, gaining +10 to movement each time. So even if you take it only once, you should be able to zoom in, attack and zoom out again without drawing AoOs.

Back