Imperium/Solomani Confedration border

Jakovian

Banded Mongoose
Hello,
I'm wondering what the border (and its control) between the Solomani Confederation and the Third Imperium looks like in the year 1105. The war ended 100 years ago, and in some places, there is information that corporations from both states trade across the border.
Questions arise:
a) Can an ordinary tramp fly to the Solomani Confederation? Does he need a pass? Report to the embassy?
b) How are adventurers treated at downports/highports, because as I understand it, on the planet itself it depends on the planet's culture?
c) What does it look like when someone from the Solomani Confederation flies to the Imperium?
d) Are there any points where you can cross the border? Considering Jump-6, to control the borders well, worlds would have to have the first subsectors strongly protected (and according to the description e.g. Bascoj/Old Expanses doesn't even have its own subsector fleet).

1. Probably Eighties Cold War, where you do need proper identification, and likely visas.

2. I would suspect that with the Imperium, Confederation citizens have an easier time getting them, for anywhere in the Imperium, whereas you might need a double stamp to enter the Confederation, both from the Confederation itself, and the specific system you want to visit.

3. Since anyone could be a spy, expect electronic surveillance during your stay, and possibly law enforcement trailing you, if you've been red flagged.

4. Kompromat might actively be obtained.

5. If you turn up somewhere where you aren't expected, you're likely to be invited to tea at the local police station.

6. If you violate a militarily or intelligence restricted zone, expect a rather extensive interview.

7. Some Confederation systems wanting to promote cross border trade and tourism, will have a more relaxed attitude to surveillance and visa requirements.

I run my campaign near that very border! Specifically based off the world Banasdan in the Banasdan Subsector of the Solomani Rim.

There are some Imperial Worlds that have some Solomani Influences like the Amber Zoned Noricum.

https://wiki.travellerrpg.com/Noricum_(SR_2918)_(world)

See the well done Mongoose Solomani Front Book for deeper lore.

In the book it talks about how those Solomani Confederation worlds on the border favor good relations with the Imperium because they profit from the trade. I recommend it if you want to run some adventures here.

I referee the area as it being an open border for Trade and Travel but Military Excursions that are detected will be challenged. Each world has an individual government, with individual policies about how they welcome, or don't welcome Travellers. I play it as each Solomani NPC they meet are not automatically suspicious or harboring hatred against Imperial CItizens.

The question of, "Can an ordinary tramp fly to the Solomani Confederation?" I go with yes.

Does he need a pass? "depends on the law level of the world."

Report to the embassy? "Only if there is some type of diplomacy or legal reason to do so."

There are also some great worlds for the adventurous Traveller to open up trade with that are not aligned with either side like the Hellworld Fezzik that requires extensive imports for its very survival.

There are two great Solomani Adventures that can give you insight. The first one, Mysteries on Arcturus Station, has Solomani Agitators.

Obviously you can run it however you want. This is a great area for Trade, espionage and adventure because of the years of accumulated wealth, history and old trade routes.

Just watch out for SolSec!

In the Traveller RPG, I'm familiar with all the Mongoose books, but I haven't noticed any specific information on how small traders from the Third Imperium are generally treated.
And of course, different worlds may have different attitudes, but I'm interested in the global approach. As for SolSec, if it is as efficient as the political police in the Polish People's Republic, then I'm not worried; despite appearances, most people of this type are extremely incompetent.
I come from Poland, born behind the Iron Curtain. I know from history lessons that depending on the years, the attitude towards tourists from the "Decayed West" varied. Is the climate like that of the 1950s, where people would be arrested immediately? Or from the 1970s, where there would probably be an attempt to corrupt them, or rather from the late 1980s, where tourists were welcome? I saw a black person live at the age of about 12 (early '90s after the fall of communism), and an Asian when I was about 7 (and that was by chance, an athlete).

. Probably Eighties Cold War, where you do need proper identification, and likely visas.
In the early '80s, Poland was under martial law, but after that, tourists were welcomed. We even had Coca-Cola and Pepsi factories, and we produced Fiat-branded cars ;)

In the Traveller RPG, I'm familiar with all the Mongoose books, but I haven't noticed any specific information on how small traders from the Third Imperium are generally treated.
And of course, different worlds may have different attitudes, but I'm interested in the global approach. As for SolSec, if it is as efficient as the political police in the Polish People's Republic, then I'm not worried; despite appearances, most people of this type are extremely incompetent.
I come from Poland, born behind the Iron Curtain. I know from history lessons that depending on the years, the attitude towards tourists from the "Decayed West" varied. Is the climate like that of the 1950s, where people would be arrested immediately? Or from the 1970s, where there would probably be an attempt to corrupt them, or rather from the late 1980s, where tourists were welcome? I saw a black person live at the age of about 12 (early '90s after the fall of communism), and an Asian when I was about 7 (and that was by chance, an athlete).
Thanks for the insight! I will use the example you gave, if you don't mind. I got the statement on trade on pg. 25, the fourth paragraph in Chapter 3: Confederation Territory.

You're probably looking at about three different levels of state security:

1. Interstellar

2. Planetary

3. Localized

That doesn't necessarily mean that at the local level they are incompetent, but could be more relaxed about performing their duties; or could attract those with a milewide authoritarian streak.

As regards Poland, as I heard the government was keen not to become the next Hungary or Czechoslovakia, with the activism of the Solidarity movement.

Thanks for the insight! I will use the example you gave, if you don't mind. I got the statement on trade on pg. 25, the fourth paragraph in Chapter 3: Confederation Territory.
" The Confederation worlds along the Imperial border, which are profiting most from trade with the Imperium, are those which are most in favour of the continuation of peaceful relations. Further in from the border, where trade with the Imperium is not as important, there is greater militant sentiment.Inhabitants of the rim ward frontier feel that peace with the Imperium will result in more attention being paid to their economic development.The majority of the Confederation’s people want peace with the Imperium. In spite of this, a fair portion of the citizens of the Solomani Confederation support anti-Imperial organisations, some of which make raids across the border into the Imperial portions of the Rim.This is a cause for significant internal conflict, pitting pro-peace groups against those who are rocking theboat too much"

The entry doesn't answer the question about what this trade looks like. Citizens of the Polish People's Republic were also in favor of peaceful cooperation, but in different years, as a foreigner from the West, you could even get the death penalty for coming to Poland. And in the 80s, you were driven around by some bigwig from the Communist Party just so you could spend a few dollars.
And of course, I mean at the interstellar level.

You're probably looking at about three different levels of state security:

1. Interstellar

2. Planetary

3. Localized

That doesn't necessarily mean that at the local level they are incompetent, but could be more relaxed about performing their duties; or could attract those with a milewide authoritarian streak.

As regards Poland, as I heard the government was keen not to become the next Hungary or Czechoslovakia, with the activism of the Solidarity movement.
I use the example of Poland because I know it best, and also because Poland was considered the "happiest barrack in the Soviet Union" - the oppression from the secret police was the lowest in Poland. Therefore, in other communist countries, it was worse, and I am looking for some analogy to the Solomani Confederation.
I simply don't quite see a situation where we have a cold war, massive espionage, and acts of terror like Black Phoenix, and then the Confederation allows ships full of adventurers and thrill-seekers into their starports.
I wonder if the OTU talks about this. I've seen that there are corporations with subsidiaries on the other side of the border, that there is some trade. But how does it work? Is it a big risk? I'm talking about the interplanetary level; obviously, each world can have its own laws.

1. Probably more.

2. You also would have Solomani diasporas over the border, so trading with each other would be more incentivized.

3. Opposing business interests have probably been nationalized by now, on either side.

4. Regarding the Poles, they were never great fans of Russians, are very Catholic, and did manage to reach Moscow, on one occasion, twice, if you count Eighteen Twelve.

I use the example of Poland because I know it best, and also because Poland was considered the "happiest barrack in the Soviet Union" - the oppression from the secret police was the lowest in Poland. Therefore, in other communist countries, it was worse, and I am looking for some analogy to the Solomani Confederation.
I simply don't quite see a situation where we have a cold war, massive espionage, and acts of terror like Black Phoenix, and then the Confederation allows ships full of adventurers and thrill-seekers into their starports.
I wonder if the OTU talks about this. I've seen that there are corporations with subsidiaries on the other side of the border, that there is some trade. But how does it work? Is it a big risk? I'm talking about the interplanetary level; obviously, each world can have its own laws.
Did you decide how you were going to run the adventure you are making? I'm of course assuming you are making one for some Travellers.

At the moment, I'm looking for descriptions of worlds on the border of Old Expanses, and I hope there will be an answer there.

I'll probably run it the way I experienced it myself when traveling to post-Soviet countries - strict control and document checking at the border, and then problems with corrupt policemen, but people are generally friendly (except for Lithuania, where they still don't like Poles 🤣). That is, the Solomani services will be suspicious, but at the patrol level, they'll probably be looking for opportunities to take bribes and maybe some petty malice, and the locals' attitudes will depend on their level of xenophobia, as described on the map.

It depends on how much you get paid, corruption incentives, and recruitment filters.

If you want to sell off the refined hydrogen fuel in your patrol craft for alcohol, divert maintenance funds, or sell off (spare) parts to the black market from the depot, then you'll certainly take bribes.

At the moment, I'm looking for descriptions of worlds on the border of Old Expanses, and I hope there will be an answer there.

I'll probably run it the way I experienced it myself when traveling to post-Soviet countries - strict control and document checking at the border, and then problems with corrupt policemen, but people are generally friendly (except for Lithuania, where they still don't like Poles 🤣). That is, the Solomani services will be suspicious, but at the patrol level, they'll probably be looking for opportunities to take bribes and maybe some petty malice, and the locals' attitudes will depend on their level of xenophobia, as described on the map.
I'd love to take a Far Trader into one of these situations with a crew of Travellers and bribe, broker and break our way out!

Back