Sommerlund Supplement

That would actually make a very interesting campaign. Imagine setting a game during a time when something like the Beacons of Gondor linked Durenor to Holmgard.

Random: That makes sense...quite interesting too.

light: Heh, you could always setup something like that and run it somewhere.

Hello you all,
I just spotted some inconsequences in these two books, in Multiplayer Game Book, as well as in Terror of the Darklords the ruler is King Ulnar IV, in the Sommerlund supplement his name is King Myranmar III. Also the size of the cities is different Toran (100.000 - 80.000), Anskaven (25.000 - 75.000).
In Sommerlund supp. page 123 The Baron of Ruanon (the Baronial province of Anskaven instead of Ruanon).
And page 119 in the text about Lennis `that transport its white stone tiles to Silverstone every week´ instead of Silvershore.

All in all this Summerlund supplement is an excellent work, and is finally working with the Gamebooks without incongruencies. Thank you Wolf.
Greetings Shamath.

Hi Shamath,

A lot of the information from the Sommerlund book was checked with, and in many cases added by Joe. Especially the Royal Line of Sommerlund which he added to the project.

Thanks,

It was a pleasure to write the book and work so closely with Joe himself. Glad you like it :)

I really like it, it gives you a worthy source to work with. Yet not all is revealed so you have enough space to imagine your own thing.
Really fine I found the Chapter about Ruanon, and to have a plot with a Sommlending rebell. And compliments to the mapmaker, they are very very fine. I really would appreciate to see as many of these masterpieces as possible!

Nonetheless I have spotted some things which are strange or unlogic. I mean it only as positive critic so don´t feel embarassed.

Also I think the Sommlending Army came a little short, no Toranese Archer, no Court Guard, no Kirlundin Marine, only a very little article about the Kings Guard. Border Ranger okay, but they are also featured in Heroes of Magnamund. I would have seen a sentence or two about the Forts Clanor and Durnspa or the outposts like Shadowpass as well.

1. King Zorn III was the target of an assassination in MS 4771 but in the Table of Kings he started to reign MS 4799.
2. King Tor III was born MS 4892 but started to rule MS 4858. (The inscription on the statue needs also to be changed).

3. You write that a new trade route to the Stornlands was established MS 3961. In other sources Casiorn is founded as an independant Citystate MS 3074, perhaps it could be added, that through this new trade route the city became boosted into a city of immense wealth now not only controlling the east-west route but also the north-south route.

4. Page 133, The Mines of Ruanon were established 4150, 2 years later gold found, Ruanon decree 4170. A Typo? Later the Great Ruanon Gold Rush started 4952-4969.

Page 125 Comptroller General was created 4971?
Page 122 The Introduction to Ruanon also speaks from 4150 and following.
Page 116 Mining at Mannon decreased late 4200 due to discovery of copper ore in Maaken Mines? or later.

Once again only as positive critic.
Greetings shamath

Actually, that was all Joe Dever who wrote the various MS dates. I left that up to him since he knows far more about his world than I do :)

You can see a lot of Gill's maps in Signs and Portents as well as in future products - we hope.

Shamath, greetings.

There do seem to be some questions about how the dates given in the Sommerlund supplement fit and whether they are accurate or not. In the hopes that we can clear through the confusion, let me address each of your questions in order using material directly from Mr. Dever:

1.) Page 18; 2nd paragraph: King Zorn III was the target of an assassination attempt by Helghast in the year MS 4801 (not MS4771).

Page 18; 3rd paragraph:

Four years later, in MS4805 (not MS4775).

2.) King Tor III was born in MS4892 and died in MS4937. The inscription is correct, as too is the illustration on page 77 of ‘Flight from the Dark’. However, there is an error in the dates of his rulership. He ruled from MS4898 to MS4937. And yes, at the time of his succession to the throne, he was the youngest king Sommerlund has ever had (6 years old), albeit in name only. He did not attain the full power of office until MS4914 upon the occasion of his 16th birthday. In the interim years (MS4898-MS4914) the kingdom was held in stewardship by his mother, Queen Silla, and a High Council comprising all the Barons of Sommerlund.

The confusion regarding King Tor III’s dates are caused by an error to be found in the dates for King Kian II (Tor III’s father). He was born MS4818 and died MS4898.

3.) Casiorn did not benefit from completion of the highway between Maaken and the Stornlands in MS3931. Prior to this date, all land commerce between Sommerlund and the Stornlands had used Casiorn as a staging post. The greater distance that needed to be traveled, as well as trade tariffs imposed by the High-Mayor for all goods that passed through the city state, added a significant cost to the land cargoes. It was precisely to avoid these costs that the direct highway from Ruanon to the Stornlands was conceived and constructed.

4.) Page 133: The mines were first established in MS4150. The Gold Rush was MS4152-MS4169. The Ruanon Decree (which gave control of the mines to the Crown) was MS4170.

There are also some dates to clarify.

Page 134: Baron’s Castle & Old Town. Incorrect date given for the discovery of gold in the Maaken Mines (should be MS4152, not MS4952).

By MS4160 (not MS4960), the old town had been virtually abandoned by its townsfolk.

Page 135: The Ruanon Homelands. During the gold rush years of MS4152-MS4169 (not MS4952-MS4969)…

Many sold up and moved on following the Ruanon Decree of MS4169 but a substantial number remained to enjoy a luxurious lifestyle in retirement on their private estates. In MS5000, many of these estates are still owned by the descendants of the successful gold rush prospectors.

Page 135: Eshnar. 2nd paragraph:

During the period of the Great Ruanon Gold Rush (MS 4152-4169), it became a dormitory town…

The above sentence should be placed earlier in the section as this is a chronological account of the town.

Page 136: 1st paragraph:

In MS4170 (not MS4970), following implementation of the Decree of Ruanon…

Page 125: The office of Comptroller General was created in MS4171.

Page 122: The dates given on this page are correct.

Page 116: Mining at Mannon decreased late MS4200 due to the better quality, larger quantities, and more readily transportable copper ore that was being excavated from the Maaken Mines.

Anyway, I hope all this helps!

-A

Back