'Slinky' Space Boarding Mek Drone

Chas

Mongoose
Slinky
The Mark II Space Boarding Mek Independent Drone, or as more commonly termed, the Slinky, is a long tubular multi-legged heavy walker not unlike a centipede, designed to be able to move through human sized corridors and portals aboard a ship with startling rapidity despite its bulk. The arrival of a Slinky onto a ship spells almost certain disaster. Capable of drilling through the thickest capital ship armor or bulkhead the Slinky can swiftly go to any location on a vessel and has the programming to complete any number of tasks to disable, destroy or capture. Once inside a space craft a Slinky is the stuff of nightmares able to eradicate entire crews and protective marine squads by both direct and indirect means, besides its powerful weapon ensemble it is a superior artificial intelligence specialized in lethal shipboard tactics of venting, irradiating, reversing gravity planes, destroying life support systems and more.

===========================================================================================================

Okay, so this is my first attempt at a vehicle, and only starting reading up on these 48 hours ago so apologies for any bloopers. I’ve got to this point and want to through the build to get some feedback please. I like this and want to get the design right. I have a bunch of issues I’d appreciate comments on:
1. I can build this either with a full high guard ship weapon laser drill, or with the “Cutter” customization from the vehicle handbook. Now I’m also adding the Arc Field Weapons from the CSC as inbuilt into the 2 manipulative arms. Given the minimum spaces with any ship weapon, I’ve got to have 10 spaces for the drill and 10 spaces for the required additional, very expensive, TL10, fusion plant. So with the ship laser drill I’m stuck with 40 spaces as my minimum build to do what I want. With the cutter I can halve this to a bells and whistles unit with 20 spaces. I reckon a TL15 cutter, which is likely some sort of plasma arc in conjunction with the arc weapons wielded simultaneously ought to allow the Slink to cut through TL15 armor reasonably effectively to make the equivalent of a man sized hole, but I’d appreciate hearing what other people, if they’re putting their ref’s caps on, think. With the laser drill and dedicated fusion power plant I don’t think a ref can argue the point of not happily drilling through whatever, but yea or nay for the cutter + arc weapons?
2. I’m not at all sure how I should manage the weapon ensemble. Using the laser drill 40 space walker as the example, I’ve purchased 50% + cost of hull points, at 1 weapon / 10 pts of hull it can fit 20 weapons. I’m only putting personal man portable weapons on the walker so I figure I can use the full number. Now I have split these up according to the facings. But how to manage this fire control without dedicated gunners but artificial intelligence? Or how would you manage this with gunners? If I have 4 FGMP on one facing should I group all the FusionGunManPortable into one barrage, can I fire these independently? can I also shoot the RAM Grenade launcher in the same round? Can I shoot on different facings in the same round? I have put in dedicated fire control units for each facing to assist, but what is the proper way to manage this? I’m not so familiar with the rules at this point.
3. The armor spread for the slinky is not so straight forward. I see this walker as a hardened flexible tube with the weak point being on the bottom where the legs would join, but nowhere else, having weak sides doesn’t really make sense. I supposes I can move the final APs around till they match…
4. I’m not sure of the software purchases required. What is covered under the drone’s self aware million credit purchase? And what has to be bought individually?
5. Is Electro-Magnetic Pulse protection in-built? I haven’t seen anywhere to account for the costs to protect for that. The walker wants a hardened ‘brain’ for instance.
6. Can I assume a heavy vehicle can ignore the very bulky and bulky traits of personal weapons? I assume so and will modify the build going forward where it's much much cheaper to put in the earlier tech versions but no damage or hit impact.

j97XPNO.png

(I'll cut the costs on this a fair bit, gone overboard with the hull reinforcement and FGMP, I did the cheaper version with the cutter just to see how things panned out. I'll get a final version up eventually... :))

Amusing, but a slight problem: A Space is something like 1/2 or 1/4 dTon, I think. So this Mek is actually as big as a 10 - 20 dTon smallcraft, something like 200 cubic meters, or a cube where each side is 6 m (20'?). Nowhere near being able to pass through human-sized corridors.

Sorry...

Checking that wasn't quite true...

It has a shipping size of 20 dTons, which should roughly correspond with external dimensions. So I can put it into a shipping crate that is roughly 6 m on each side, so too large.

It would weigh 10 tons (metric) and probably fall through any floor that isn't a bulkhead.

You would need something in the range of 2-4 Spaces to make it fit...

Long and thin like a centipede was the description. It'll do. 1.5 x 1.5 x 16 is fine. The different facing weapons are independent.

And the speeding long sliver of metal is half the horror aspect of it.

And it won't be falling through any bulkhead it didn't mean too :D

Back