Short-Term Healing

Yokiboy

Mongoose
Hi gang,

Conan allows for Short-Term Healing by performing a DC15 Heal check after combat, resulting in the recovery of Level + Con mod HP.

Has anyone experimented with varying Heal check results allowing the recovery of more or less HP? Perhaps using varying DCs dependant on the damage of the subject, or the DC being equal to the number of HP you're trying to return to the subject modified by his Level + Con mod.

Just thinking out loud...

TTFN,

Yokiboy

I decided to stick with the RAW for lower levels. But I expect to change this to a d4-based heal check by 4th or 5th level. They can't keep going, which ruins the tension of an adventure at times.

Of course, at times, it also adds to the tension when they have to hide in the woods for a day, recovering hit points, knowing that people are being sacrificed by the evil temple. Not that that really bothers jaded RPGers...

How about a d4 per level + Con mod, instead of Level + Con mod + 3? Which results in a little bit less on average at first level, but is much better at higher levels?

TTFN,

Yokiboy

a d4 per level + con mod...

So, I'm 10th level, healing will do 10d4 + 4 (con mod for exceptional con)

for a heal check??

Thats a range of 14 to 44 as opposed to a value of 17. (10+4+3). I just don't buy that any heal check is that proficient. The rules already have you healing at an accelerated rate to begin with...why do you need this?

Arkobla Conn said:
Thats a range of 14 to 44 as opposed to a value of 17. (10+4+3). I just don't buy that any heal check is that proficient. The rules already have you healing at an accelerated rate to begin with...why do you need this?
You're of course right, I'm merely thinking out loud. I still think that a very good Heal Check should come with bonus HP though. Maybe even as much as one per point scored over 15.

So to use your level 10 example, I could have 13 ranks in Heal, plus 3 from Skill Focus, plus at least 4 or so from the ability mod, for a grand total of 20; so on a roll of 20 that comes to 40-15, 25 bonus HP. Nah, that's probably too much as well. If that was 1 extra HP per 5 points over 15 it would equal 5 bonus HP, which could still be worth continuing to invest in the Heal Skill past a skill total of 14.

Anyhow, just brainstorming. :)

TTFN,

Yokiboy

Brainstorming is good...

I think you might want to keep the 'bonus' for good rolls nebulous. Grant a non-standard bonus depending upon the scene, need, ability to get herbs, etc...make it a story thing more than a numbers thing. (with the added bonus of giving them a boost)

IMC I am using a rule that for every 5 points by which you beat DC 15 your paitent recovers an additional Con mod in HP.

So heal check 15 = level + Con mod
heal check 20 = level + 2xCon mod
heal check 25 = level + 3xCon mod

I also am using a house rule that a character can use the Heal skill on themselves (except first aid) with a -5 penalty to the roll.

Lastly I am considering using the Reserve Points system but I have not playtested that yet. Seems to be a perfect match for Conan though.

argo said:
IMC I am using a rule that for every 5 points by which you beat DC 15 your paitent recovers an additional Con mod in HP.

How does that affect characters with negative Con mod (yeah like that will happen in Conan, but bear with me as the Devil's advocate here)?

argo said:
I also am using a house rule that a character can use the Heal skill on themselves (except first aid) with a -5 penalty to the roll.
I agree with this, otherwise the Self-Sufficient feat is rather worthless.

argo said:
Lastly I am considering using the Reserve Points system but I have not playtested that yet. Seems to be a perfect match for Conan though.
Haven't heard of this system, is it something from Unearthed Arcana?

TTFN,

Yokiboy

Yokiboy said:
argo said:

How does that affect characters with negative Con mod (yeah like that will happen in Conan, but bear with me as the Devil's advocate here)?
Heh, good point :p Well, you can always willingly accept a lower skill check result than what you rolled, so I guess if the party happens to have a Scholar with an 8 Con the healer will stop at heal check 15. Also there is the "minimum 1 point" clause as well.

Yokiboy said:
argo said:
Haven't heard of this system, is it something from Unearthed Arcana?

TTFN,

Yokiboy

Yes it is from UA. Basically each character has a Hit Point pool and a Reserve Point pool. The max number of points in their RP pool is equal to their max HP. If their current HP is lower than their max HP then once every minute (10 rounds) they can transfer a number of points from their RP to their HP equal to their level, but they cannot bring their HP up higher than max HP. RP recover naturally at the same rate as HP do.

Basically what this works down to is that RP are useless in combat because of the one-minute rule. But given a few minutes in between encounters characters can be back in good fighting shape. So encounter balance remains the same (easy to die with 0 HP but lost of RP left) but each character enters the adventure with double the HP. Like I said, it sounds like it should be very good for Conan and I am waiting to playtest it as soon as possible.

Sweet Merciful Toast!

I've just realized that my group is in a bunch of trouble.
We've been using the Short Term healing a lot. However, most of the time it has been used by people without the Heal skill, using it untrained with their wisdom bonuses.

But, I didn't know about the "Maximum 10" result for untrained skills until just recently, which makes it impossible to do untrained.

DrSkull said:
But, I didn't know about the "Maximum 10" result for untrained skills until just recently, which makes it impossible to do untrained.
Heh heh, can I be there when you break this to your players? :twisted:

Good luck doctor! I hope you don't have a "Brian" at your table. :lol:

TTFN,

Yokiboy

slaughterj said:
Yokiboy said:
instead of Level + Con mod + 3?

Where is this "+3" I see in a few posts in here coming from? I don't recall seeing that in the book, but I don't have it in front of me...

That is the rate of natural healing per day. To recap:

Short term care. DC 15, 10 minutes, once per character per encounter. Recover Level + Con mod

Long term care. DC 15, 1 day, once per character per day, counts as "light activity" for healer. Doubles the rate of natural healing.

Natural healing. No check, 1 day of "light activity". Recover Level + Con mod + 3.

Bed rest. No check, 1 day of complete bed rest (no activity). Recover 2xLevel + 2xCon + 6.

I assume that you can stack Long Term Care and Bed Rest so complete rest at the care of a healer allows you to recover 3xLevel + 3xCon + 9.

I do wonder though why Conan changed the rate of natural healing from 1 night's rest (8 hours) to 1 day's rest (presumably 24 hours)? :?: This hasn't come up in game yet so I haven't had to make a rulling yet about weither characters need to stand down for a full day or if they can sack out for the night and recover some of their HP by morning. Could make a difference in an endurance-adventure. Oh well :?

SOmething that I am doing in my game, its a little more paperwork but I think it adds to the realism. have the characters (or the DM if he likes to use hidden damage for realism) keep track of how many points each hit does. ie 1st hit does 8, 2nd hit does 2, 3rd hit does 10..etc. Roll a heal check, for a result of 15, you get 1 d4+Con to apply to A wound, 20 you get 2 d4 for.
example:
Gronk gets hit as mentioned above and has a +2 Con, Ralph rolls a heal check with a result of 22, meaning that he can heal 2 seperate wounds. He states that he will attemp the 1st wound first and rolls a 2 (+2 for Con) so Gronk gains 4 hp, not enough to remove the wound but 4 hp certainly helps. for his second attempt Ralph wants to heal up that 1st wound still and rolls a 4 (+2 for Con) but the 1st wound was only 4 at this point, oh well, Gronk gets the 4 hp and the first wound is completely gone.

It seems a little complecated at first but it works very well, especially if the players are unaware of the damage that thier characters have accumulated. It also allows the DM to fudge the damage a little easier too.

I also like to make long term healing a little more difficult, subtracting 1 for each wound from the total that a character would get from long term healing until the wounds are all healed.

But that is another story.....

argo said:
slaughterj said:
Yokiboy said:
instead of Level + Con mod + 3?

Where is this "+3" I see in a few posts in here coming from? I don't recall seeing that in the book, but I don't have it in front of me...

That is the rate of natural healing per day. To recap:

Short term care. DC 15, 10 minutes, once per character per encounter. Recover Level + Con mod

Long term care. DC 15, 1 day, once per character per day, counts as "light activity" for healer. Doubles the rate of natural healing.

Natural healing. No check, 1 day of "light activity". Recover Level + Con mod + 3.

Bed rest. No check, 1 day of complete bed rest (no activity). Recover 2xLevel + 2xCon + 6.

Yeah, but the thread started with a discussion of short-term healing, but along the way, some seemed to add in the "+3" out of nowhere - apparently they were conflating the concepts of short-term healing and natural healing...

slaughterj said:
Yeah, but the thread started with a discussion of short-term healing, but along the way, some seemed to add in the "+3" out of nowhere - apparently they were conflating the concepts of short-term healing and natural healing...
That was probably me, I simply got it wrong. This is how it works in the RAW:

Natural Healing: Level + Con mod + 3 HP per day; if at complete bed rest multiply the result by 2
When disabled, i.e. at exactly 0 HP, drinking a Flagon of Wine restores you to 1 HP
Ability Scores: 1 + Con mod per hour of rest; 2 + Con mod per hour of complete bed rest
Non-Lethal: Level HP per hour of rest; spells cure equal amount of non-lethal in addition to lethal
First Aid: DC15 stabilizes Victim
Long-Term: DC15 recover HP or Ability damage at x2
Short-Term: DC15 recover Level + Con mod HP, can be used after each combat

TTFN,

Yokiboy

Back