Ship Varients in 2ed

Not too mention, league stuff and old Dilgar gear. How badly were the Dilgar beaten? They had to leave stuff for the taking. Hell, the Markab fleet could be taken practically whole, right?

Tankdriver said:
I like the idea of the hermes as a commerce raider, with perhaps the missile rack left in place for long range fire. Let`s face it, these guys are weak, and anything that let`s them hit without being hit back would be a logical idea. Add to a narn weapon or two, not the e-mines though. Maybe we could all get together on a S&P article once 2E comes out.

What they should have would be something more on the lines of the Tehtys. I would love to see a missle armed tethys as part of a raider fleet.

Dave

One point only. Look at the fleets that can take allies. The ISA and the Raiders. Both get 1 FAP worth of allies. But who has the better ships? ISA by a mile, and they get more races to choose allies from.

Newer ships or variants are the only real way to make the Raiders playable.

True, but in 1st Edition, the Whitestar rules, and the rest of the ISA hulls are good to excellent, whereas the Raiders' Battlewagon is good, and the rest of the fleet .... well .... blows. It's not the quantity, it's the quality.

If the current Centauri list only had Prefects, Sulusts, Corvans, and a few Primus --- it would still rule just as hard!

Here's hoping the Raiders get ships worthy of their priorities, and not just unplayable facsimilies.

The Raider Thentus feels a little too strong. It's slower but packs a nicer punch at greater range(20" to 15" and 12") and tougher(2 interceptors really helping against a lot of lighter long range missle ships such as the Hermes and Sho'kov) and with fighters to boot. Maybe a slight drop in the twin particle arrays?

The Vorchan is fine although I agree with others that I just don't see the Narn sharing one of the few technologies that are uniquely theirs and give them an advantage over their enemies. Plus it's even stated that E-Mines are expensive which runs counter to Raider armament practices.

I like the Hermes. Makes the Strike Carrier even more worthless than it already is but then again that's the Strike Carrier's fault, not the Hermes.

I like the ideas that have been put forth for the Raiders, nice job. I have always wanted to do a Raiders fleet, but its just not deep enough yet.

One thing I REALLY want for 2E is for my beloved Narns to get with basic American Civil War technology and learn to use turrets!!! :roll:

I'm sick of the boresight ........ bleh!

-V

Celisasu said:
The Raider Thentus feels a little too strong. It's slower but packs a nicer punch at greater range(20" to 15" and 12") and tougher(2 interceptors really helping against a lot of lighter long range missle ships such as the Hermes and Sho'kov) and with fighters to boot. Maybe a slight drop in the twin particle arrays?

The Vorchan is fine although I agree with others that I just don't see the Narn sharing one of the few technologies that are uniquely theirs and give them an advantage over their enemies. Plus it's even stated that E-Mines are expensive which runs counter to Raider armament practices.

I like the Hermes. Makes the Strike Carrier even more worthless than it already is but then again that's the Strike Carrier's fault, not the Hermes.

I felt it might be a little tough, but it's probably no worse than a number of other skirmishers out there. I'll think about some tweaks

hiffano said:
Celisasu said:

I felt it might be a little tough, but it's probably no worse than a number of other skirmishers out there. I'll think about some tweaks

It's definately close to being right. But the moment I look at a ship and I'm considering replacing my Ka'Tans with it, that activates a warning light that it might be too much seeing how I feel the Ka'Tan is a bit too strong(and I play Narn).

hmmm, I suspect maybe just reducing the beam range might do it then. It has less dice all round than a ka'tan, and only 1 more fighter. same turns, less speed. so yeah, i suspect the beam range is the issue. I just used the Hyperion range

Maybe. Might be fun to try a fleet using the new Raider ships in a 5 point Raid and see how they measure up to other races. Assuming a Raider Thentus with reduced range on the main laser I'd probably try an initial fleet of eight Raider Thentus and four Raider Hermes(assuming I'm not using allied ships off of that last raid point). The Hermes while not as good of initiative sinks as EA ones due to the lack of missles, at least allow me to line up the Thentus for those all important boresites. Plus I now have a total of 24 Delta V's. Crappy fighters but perhaps enough to keep the enemy bombers off of me.

Of course all of this is kind of moot seeing how we only have a month until everything changes. Guess we'll have to wait and see the new rules and then start tossing out suggestions for special ships.

As well as Raider, EA, and Narn ships, I think Brakiri and Drazi ships would be appropriate for the Raiders as well. The Brakiri are extremely commited to a profit and wouldn't care what the Raiders did with the ships they bought while the Drazi we've seen specifically working with the Raiders so no doubt a few of their ships are in Raider hands.

Somehow I feel the Vree while willing to trade with the Raiders wouldn't want to give up their advanced tech. The Gaim are too alien and the Abbai too pacifistic to do so so I doubt we'd see any of their ships either. The Pak'Ma'Ra while being "peaceful traders" seem like a group who probably lose an occasional ship so I could Pak ships among the raiders. Perhaps something Hurr as well.

More unique ships representing famous captains might be fun as well. Instead of having a character who ups the value of a ship to the next priority just include him and the ship together already stuck in the proper priority. That way you just have to balance the captain with one ship rather than every ship.

Celisasu said:
As well as Raider, EA, and Narn ships, I think Brakiri and Drazi ships would be appropriate for the Raiders as well. The Brakiri are extremely commited to a profit and wouldn't care what the Raiders did with the ships they bought while the Drazi we've seen specifically working with the Raiders so no doubt a few of their ships are in Raider hands.

Somehow I feel the Vree while willing to trade with the Raiders wouldn't want to give up their advanced tech. The Gaim are too alien and the Abbai too pacifistic to do so so I doubt we'd see any of their ships either. The Pak'Ma'Ra while being "peaceful traders" seem like a group who probably lose an occasional ship so I could Pak ships among the raiders. Perhaps something Hurr as well.

I agree with Celisasu here with perhaps the addition of a couple of the oldest Centauri hulls from patrol and skirmish levels

Back