Ship Varients in 2ed

It might be balanced (hard to say since you haven't posted any other stats) but it's totally against all common sense. Raiders scavenge and jury rig and scrape by with very little money... if they had a stealth 6+ ship, they'd sell it to the Minbari (or any of the other races) and be overnight multi-billionaires!

Darn you, Burger, why are you bringing logic into this! :D

I just thought I'd toss a little love the Raiders way.

Agreed they need some, but I don't think giving them the most technologically advanced ship in the known galaxy is the solution ;)
Maybe weld some more metal plates to the strike carrier instead... lol.

a few out of service narn or early EA ships should do it. after aall, both races are happy to make a quick buck.
whats that Mr raider, you will hit centauri shipping? we'll sell you our old xxxxx ships for you to do it.

I always wondered why Raiders couldn't take EA or Narn as allies... seems totally in character.

Its an interesting idea - but I think Stealth 4 at best - still I also did really like Triggy's snap an fix ships where you had a basic hull and added guns, torps, engines whatever to make it fit your model............. :D

Burger said:
I always wondered why Raiders couldn't take EA or Narn as allies... seems totally in character.

Or donated to them under a Letter or Marque type scheme.

Even just letting them grab any number of non-scout Patrol level ships from the League, EA, and Narn - provided they do not exceed half your total number of ships - as part of their list could only be a good thing.

Modified Thentus - Skirmish

Service date: 2256+
Hull: 5
Speed: 6
Turns: 1/45
Craft - 2 Delta V
Traits: Interceptors 2
Dmg 24/5
Crew: 28/6

Weapons

Heavy laser Cannon B 20" 3 B, DD, SAP
Twin particle Array F 8" 4 TL, W
Twin particle Array P 8" 6 TL, W
Twin particle Array S 8" 6 TL, W
Twin particle Array A 8" 4 TL, W

The Thentus is one of the oldest Narn ship designs, and as such, when the raiders approached the Narn to acquire ships, on the promise of attacking Centauri shipping, the Thentus was the ship put forward. Stripped of it's heavy weapons, the ship was sold in small numbers to select raider crews. Buying on the black market, the Ship was fitted with EA interceptors, and a heavy weapon. The modifications didn’t come without a cost, the addition of two external hardpoints for fighters, cost the ship both speed and maneuverability.

might be a bit tough, but i did spend all of 5 mins on it ;-)

Modified Vorchan - Skirmish

Hull: 5
Speed: 10
Turns: 1/45
Craft: 2 Delta V
Traits: Interceptors 1, Jump Point
Damage: 20/5
Crew: 25/5

Weapons
Energy Mine F 30" 4AD EM/SL
Heavy Pulse Cannon F 12" 6AD
Twin Particle Array F 8" 8AD TL

When the Centauri left Narn, they left behind a lot of military hardware that was either damaged or not worth salvaging. The resouceful Narns repaired and sold much of this equipment to anyone with the credits to buy... and the Raiders were top of the list. Vorchans had armour plates strapped to them, partly to fill the holes in the hull, and partly because that's just what Raiders do. The expensive Plasma Accelerators were stripped by the Centauri before leaving, so the Narn added some of their own weapons.

Took me all of... 4 minutes ;)

so it's taken 2 players less than 10 minutes between them, to come up with two viable skirmish vessels for the raiders.
we rock!

It does appear starnge that certain fleets don't seem to get new ships and have to rely on "Cannon" ships whilst others get whole swathes of ships made up for them especially.

Raiders are easy, you just take other races older ships and modify them a bit!
We do indeed rock :lol:

I just mailed Mongoose to see if they fancy mine and burgers ships. Burger, I'm happy for one of us to do a S+P article maybe with these ships in? what do you think?

Raider Hermes

Hull: 4
Speed: 12
Turns: 2/45
Craft: 2 Delta V flights (on external rails)
Traits: Carrier 2, Interceptors 1, Jump Point
Damage: 10/3
Crew: 12/3

Weapons
Medium Pulse Cannon F 10" 6AD
Particle Beams F/P/S 4" 6/4/4AD AF, Weak

Built under license in civillian shipyards, it was inevitable that the some of the thousands of Hermes hulls would end up in the hands of Raider groups. With the weapons normally fitted at EA shipyards the Raiders were forced to use what they could buy on the black markets. Missile racks gave way to the cheap and easy to maintain medium pulse cannon.

Really like the Raider Thentus, good work Hiff. The Vorchan isn't too bad but I would prefer to see another weapon instead of the Energy Mine which I would say is too narn specific to be sold to Raiders. Perhaps make the Heavy Pulse Twin Link, Double Damage or add a burst beam weapon?

yeah, but I really really rely on the Chronos at raid, it is my first choice ship, and has won me numerous games. I mean, it's stats exist already (with tweaking for AF)... come on......you know you wanna
That and the fact that it's a bit bizzarre that the EA would replace the Olympus corvette with a ship that's no 'better' - as opposed to the one priority level tech progression with most next-generation ships.

The raider vorchan seems quite belivable - although I'd imagine it wouldn't come with an energy mine - I can believe the narn selling weapons, I can believe the Centauri selling hulls, but not one group being on sufficiently good terms with two sets of middlemen to buy both...

The Thentus...Narns tend to buy and sell weapons, but I'm not sure about them selling ships - if they have a ship they tend to use it on the front line, regardless of how old it is...

I see no reason why those ships shouldn't be availible as allies though, even if it's just salvaged hulls.

locarno24 said:
The raider vorchan seems quite belivable - although I'd imagine it wouldn't come with an energy mine - I can believe the narn selling weapons, I can believe the Centauri selling hulls, but not one group being on sufficiently good terms with two sets of middlemen to buy both...
The idea is it is the spare, damaged or hijacked hulls that were left on Narn when the Centauri occupation left... refitted with Narn weapons.

Burger said:
locarno24 said:
The idea is it is the spare, damaged or hijacked hulls that were left on Narn when the Centauri occupation left... refitted with Narn weapons.

their is also a version of a narn vorchan in the fantastic web supplement, "dawn of retribution"

I like the idea of the hermes as a commerce raider, with perhaps the missile rack left in place for long range fire. Let`s face it, these guys are weak, and anything that let`s them hit without being hit back would be a logical idea. Add to a narn weapon or two, not the e-mines though. Maybe we could all get together on a S&P article once 2E comes out.

hiffano said:
a few out of service narn or early EA ships should do it. after aall, both races are happy to make a quick buck.
whats that Mr raider, you will hit centauri shipping? we'll sell you our old xxxxx ships for you to do it.

very similar to what I proposed for the Raiders

We know from "Midnight on the Firing Line" that they buy Narn tech and some Centauri tech is bound to fall into their hands too.

Back