Ship Design Philosophy

Inspiration: Star Wars: A New Hope- Reimagined on Earth in the 1880's

My take on a scene recreation for Brookline Interactive Groups production of Crowdsourced Boston 2022-Star Wars-Scene 25- Secret Compartment.

No! Nagasaki is peaceful! We have no weapons, you can't possibly...

Spaceships: Optional Equipment and Crewing

1. It just occurred to me, a lot of our vessels may be undermanned.

2. I don't see the manning requirements for a lot of optional equipment, such as launch tubes.

3. It's quite possible to have crew being able to maintain and/or operate such equipment, as well as whatever is their primary job.

4. For gunnery, I rather doubt that the tonnage discounts works, since if you can batteryize any number of weapon systems through the reduction of gunners at a hundred kilotonnes, you can do that at one kilotonne.

5. Hard to say about auxiliary 'craft: could be more based on the actual usage, rather than just tonnage.

6. Engineering should be based on the actual cohesive volume of the drives and power plants, since it would make no difference in supervision, regardless of the hull volume.

Spaceships: Hostile Takeover and Explaining Boarding Actions in Science Fiction

Spacedock delves into the time honored tradition of breaking into spaceships and shooting the place up.

Open hangar bays.

Spacestations: Star Trek: Detail Look Inside Deep Space 9!

This is the 3D animation of Deep Space 9 from Star Trek. Enjoy! #startrek

Deep Space 9, originally known as Terok Nor, was one of the most historically, politically, and strategically important space stations in the Alpha Quadrant during the latter half of the 24th century.

The space station was constructed by Bajoran slave labor overseen by the Cardassians in orbit of Bajor during their occupation of the planet.

Under the Federation administration following the Cardassian withdrawal, the station was relocated into the Denorios belt.

There, DS9 became a vital commercial port and defensive outpost due to its location near the mouth of the wormhole.

It later became a key strategic location during the Dominion War for both the Dominion and the Federation Alliance.

0:00 Introduction
3:25 Size
4:50 Exterior
5:44 Runabout
7:15 Operation Centers
10:00 The Promenade
10:35 Quark's Bar
12:19 Wardroom
14:19 Infirmary
15:24 USS Defiant
17:20 Conclusion

Operations Centre and engineering deck.

Starwarships: Star Trek: Inside the USS Enterprise-B (Excelsior-class)

This is the 3D animation of Enterprise 1701-B (Excelsior-class) from Star Trek. Enjoy! #startrek

The Excelsior-class ships have played a significant role in the Star Trek universe, and have been involved in a number of important events and missions.

The design of the Excelsior-class ships was based on the Constitution-class starships, which were introduced in the original Star Trek television series. The Excelsior-class ships are larger and more heavily armed than the Constitution-class ships, and they are often considered the successor to the Constitution-class design.

The USS Enterprise (NCC-1701-A) and the USS Enterprise (NCC-1701-B) are two different ships in the Star Trek franchise. The Enterprise-A is a Constitution-class starship that was first seen in the film Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home.

It was commanded by Captain James T. Kirk, and it played a significant role in the Star Trek universe, appearing in several films and television series.

1. Person[e/a]lly, I tend to try and squeeze in as many as possible.

2. Probably would have to seriously revise that for deep space exploration.

3. We could have a more vertical tilt to the power plants.

Starwarships: Top Five Sci-Fi Space Fighters (That Aren't The Gunstar)

Spacedock delves into five of our favourite sci-fi space fighters.

1. Does rotating ships really redirect felt acceleration?

2. Makes you wonder how many crewmembers a Vilani fighter would have.

Starwarships: Armaments and The Conceptual Failure of Orbital Lasers

God, from the machine.

It's not about the size of the laser, but how you use it.

Spaceships: Damaged Spacecraft & Shipwrecked Saucers

Spaceships getting damaged or crashing is common story in science fiction but it's also terrifyingly common with real spaceships. So what do we if our spaceship gets damaged?

1. Redundancy.

2. Three dee printers.

3. Intellectual property.

4. Standardized versus customized.

5. Customization through evolution.

6. Mandatory low berths.

main-qimg-d88bbcdff03256a2395ea0d5dca83f0e-pjlq

8. Solomani Army Knife.

9. You try and avoid as many dirtside landings as possible, to minimize stressing the hull and other machinery.

Spaceships: Using Asteroids As Spaceships

Asteroids may serve as future bases and colonies for humanity as we travel into space, but could they also be converted into spaceships to take us strange new worlds around distant stars?

1. Or spacestations, depending on manoeuvre drive factor.

2. Fragile, therefore not inclined to spin.

3. External combustion engine.

4. Laputa.

5. Bucky ball reservoirs.

6. Emergency break, mass driver spinal mount.

7. Slow boat to Draco.

I do love the spaceship being built inside and asteroid and then destroying it as it breaks free for its maiden flight.

I also like the trope of the non-aligned spacers who live inside an asteroid, surviving on ramshackle parts and pieces.

Starships: Armaments and The Deadliest Hard Sci-Fi Weapon You've Never Heard Of (Macrons, Dust Guns)

Spacedock delves into a powerful but lesser known sci-fi space weapon.

Dust gun.

Or Dust Drive.

Inspiration: "Star Wars" directed by Stanley Kubrick?

The capture of Princess Leia's ship by Darth Vader's imperial star destroyer told in Kubrick’s 2001 style…

Tie Fighter by Joscha Heusohn
Rebel Transport by Sean P. Kennedy
Escape Pod by Dan North
Tyderium Shuttle by Olivier Couston & Jose Gonzales Pareja
Imperial Star Destroyer by Ansel Hsiao (Fractalsponge)
Tantive IV by Ullrich Malte

The one thing that they missed is that there wouldn't have been artificial gravity, unless the spaceships were spinning.

Spacestations: What is a Starbase?

Today i look into the confusing and inconsistent world of Starbases. these facilities can apparently take many forms from small to large space stations like K-7. to purely planet-bound facilites such a Farpoint Station. in this video i seek to understand this discrepancy and understand the role starbases play in the world of Trek.

1 What if the vacuum cleaner breaks?

2. Fuel storage.

3. Spare parts.

4. Ammo dump.

5. Regional command centre.

6. Planetary option.

7. Certification and authorization.

8. Especially for dangerous and restricted materials.

9. Protected anchorage.

A. Defended.

Starwarships: X-Wing Ejection: It all makes sense now

X-wing ejection is a concept that was introduced all the way back in 1977, but it was never actually depicted. What might an ejection from an x-wing look like? I came up with a solution.

1. To eject, or not to eject, that is the question.

2. Look for the bare necessities, the simple bare necessities, don't forget oxygen and hydration; I mean the bare necessities, protection from radiation and atmospheric friction during reentry.

3. Detachable cockpit, as opposed to detachable bridge.

4. Droid rejection.

Spaceships: Armaments and Explaining Plasma Weapons in Science Fiction

Spacedock delves into the science of sci-fi plasma weapons.

1. Free to move and expand.

2. It's everywhere.

3. Propulsion.

4. Plasma railguns.

5. Requires restricted field to prevent infinite expansion for a coherent beam.

6. Do not penetrate dense materials.

7. Vortex rings.

8. Confining into one axis.

9. Zed pinch.

Spaceships: Axiom Type Starliner | Wall-E

The destruction of Earth's environment was not the end of the human race, they merely moved - to the most advanced luxury cruise experience the galaxy had ever seen.

1. Ninety nine percent automated; probably higher.

2. I don't recall it having a faster than light drive.

3. Or that it left the Sol system.

Back