Scratchbuilding

Sean-Khan

Mongoose
Waiting for game rules, having a weekend with nothing scheduled (except a few random games)... what do I do? Babylon 5 ships of course! :D As I promised before, I'll post pics of my scratchbuilt. I just finished my 3 first ships, G'Quans.

Not too time-efficient I guess, but as I like modelling, don't want to spend too much and don't like metal minis, this is my way to go :) I'll make several ships myself, then buy few Minbari ships & Earth box (Too complicated to build), and think about what to do with other fighters (huge job to build, maybe I'll use counters for fighters).

Here you go:

See gallery

(Address updated)

Wow, very nice job!! Those look quite cool. Nice work on those, I hope they bring you much luck on the tabletop.

Chris

Sean-Khan said:
Waiting for game rules, having a weekend with nothing scheduled (except a few random games)... what do I do? Babylon 5 ships of course! :D As I promised before, I'll post pics of my scratchbuilt. I just finished my 3 first ships, G'Quans.

Not too time-efficient I guess, but as I like modelling, don't want to spend too much and don't like metal minis, this is my way to go :) I'll make several ships myself, then buy few Minbari ships & Earth box (Too complicated to build), and think about what to do with other fighters (huge job to build, maybe I'll use counters for fighters).

Here you go, my first ship pics with WIP:

wow...nice job. i am an scratchbuilder, too.
to your usage: "EA and Minbari are complicat"... i mean EA is very easy to scratchbuild. and for the Minbari you need some experience in sculpting with clay. i have made several ships and have scratchbuilded an complete Sharlin.
hope we can see more of your work. 8)

Wow those are nice. What did you make them out of? Any chance of posting your templates? (Pleeeeease).

Frank V.

Very, very nicely done!

I believe that they are a tad larger than the Mongoose castings, but nonetheless very tough looking.

Good job.

Thanks for the comments! :)

Hm, EA easily done? Interesting. What did you use for material, Urobach? Do you have photos of your ships? Cardboard is my primary material, with other materials I'm more clumsy.

So, the material is mainly cardboard. Hopefully everyone saw that the image is a link to gallery, there you can see some construction phases... I guess I should make it more obvious. Only templates are what plans I found from the web & printed. Googling images with ship names (& sometimes with 'babylon') works pretty well.

I'm still waiting for rulebooks to arrive and play my first game - so I'm not using grid, although I might use grid/hexes if I can find a way to do it easily - I've already checked the thread about using hexes. Remains to be seen. Map is from Star Wars starship battles.

My centauri ships are half-way ready, but I've got to prepare for RPG session of tonight and might not have much time during the week, so I'm not sure when I get them ready. Besides, my fingers are sore for all the modelling :lol:

Thanks again :)

Btw, I just saw pics of unassembled ship minis... how long does assembling of an average ship actually take? I just realized I might be saving more time than I thought... Especially as my experiences with assembling metal minis have been somewhat painful.

intresting how many hours does it take for your to make those 3 ships its seems like a very large undertaking.

Sean-Khan said:
Thanks for the comments! :)

Hm, EA easily done? Interesting. What did you use for material, Urobach? Do you have photos of your ships? Cardboard is my primary material, with other materials I'm more clumsy.

I am use, how sayed, primary modeling clay to sculpt the most ship. for easy parts and bigger parts i use 0,5-1mm polystyrene sheets. my current project, the Valerius ( is the Ship that shows my AVATAR) is made with this methode.

here are some pics of my project ,you can find some in the MGP players gallery,also.

the Charybdis, the Boreas and the Pegasus
Ships19.jpg

on of the next projects, the Quasar
QuasarDreadnought-ready-1.jpg

my first minbari scratchbuilds
sharlin1640.jpg
emfeeli2.jpg

my shadow lancer
ShadowLancerpainted001.jpg

i have a LOT of more pics but i can´t show the entire stuff, currently.
Shadows, Narn, Centauri....and an new LIATI comes next. :wink:

Thanks for comments again, good to hear you like my ships :)

Those look marvellous, Urobach! Personally I'm just thinking to get/do several Omega's & maybe 2 hyperions - maybe later something else. And congrats on your Sharlin, so it really can be done and well too! :D

Btw, how did you do surface to your shadow vessel? Looks good! I'm also going to do some shadow ships, and except for the surface, they are pretty much the easiest thing to do. What did you use as a material? I'm thinking of mainly wire & adding strips of paper soaked in glue & water on them, probably also some filler-mix.

Sean-Khan said:
Thanks for comments again, good to hear you like my ships :)

Those look marvellous, Urobach! Personally I'm just thinking to get/do several Omega's & maybe 2 hyperions - maybe later something else. And congrats on your Sharlin, so it really can be done and well too! :D

Btw, how did you do surface to your shadow vessel? Looks good! I'm also going to do some shadow ships, and except for the surface, they are pretty much the easiest thing to do. What did you use as a material? I'm thinking of mainly wire & adding strips of paper soaked in glue & water on them, probably also some filler-mix.

the Shadow Lancer is completly sculptet with modeling clay. i have sculptet the "organic surface" with an modelling tool on it. is the easiest way...

What kind of clay is it you're using? Now that I think of it, it might be better choise, I've just never met clay that has been useful...

Back