Scratchbuilding

Sean-Khan said:
What kind of clay is it you're using? Now that I think of it, it might be better choise, I've just never met clay that has been useful...

the name of the clay is "Chavant clay-Autostyle light" from Smooth On. its an hard, light-weight industrial ton. from an us-firm that produces an wide range of silicon RTV´s, polyurethan resigns and other stuff for modelling and so on. an publisher in austria sell this as import articels. i am very satisfied with their products.

Centauri)Urobach

I really like your your shadow Lancer that looks like it would make an awesome battleship.

Hint hint mongoose.

Kosh127 said:
intresting how many hours does it take for your to make those 3 ships its seems like a very large undertaking.

Sorry Kosh127, I just realized I had forgotten to answer to your question; It's hard to say accurate time as I spent a few hours for a few evenings, and then one full day; I'd say that including painting some 15-20 hours.

My centauri ships have been taking more time, but relatively less compared to G'quans, as there's 8 ships. I'd say that the total time for them is maybe 25 hours. They still wait gold paint & basing, otherwise they are quite about ready.

Ok, got my Centauri ships ready. As my server is down, I had to upload the pics to a temporary location. There's also pics of the counters I just finished.

I'm not very patient and accurate painter when it comes to strict edges, but I'm quite happy about these, they do their job.

http://www.iki.fi/~twilek/models/b5-mallit

Thanks :) I think the borders of the counters came out a bit too dark, I might need to fine-tune them a bit. Otherwise, I can send them or put them for download soon.

Hi again, just a small update - Just got my Omega's ready, pics added to the gallery: http://www.anttiweb.net/models/b5

I'm happy I decided to build these myself too, I wouldn't have let myself buy that many omegas... I guess that most of the more difficult models are now ready, the rest should be easier in general.

Your Narn and Centauri ships are good. But the Omegas are simply BRILLIANT :shock: You actually get the head, centrifuge, and tail ratio right. Great job.

Thanks for comments, Greg and M1ndr1d3rs! Omegas have an annoying amount of details, even if using quite simplified approach. A few times I cursed myself for starting to make this many, but I wanted to be able to run small earth vs. earth battles too.

When I start making shadow ships, I have an idea to make attachable shadow mods for a few omegas so I don't have to do shadow omegas from scratch!

i think they are all very impressive, they look very clean as well, how long have you been doing this? did you do some sort of moddeling before b5

darknight said:
i think they are all very impressive, they look very clean as well, how long have you been doing this? did you do some sort of moddeling before b5
Thank! Sure, I've been doing models for years, I actually studied modeling for 2,5yrs - mainly architectural models. I moved into ITC after that, but have been modelling as a hobby.

When Star Wars ship minis came out, I made a bunch of ships, many of which I made into molds & made copies from resin. Before that, I made some Star Wars ships for rpg use, and I've also built a large amount of terrains for different miniatures games. Most of my stuff can be seen here: http://www.iki.fi/~twilek/models/model.html

Hello everyone, I'm back with new stuff - and thanks shadow Queen!

I've been away from this forum for quite a while, one reason is that I'm busy, another thing is that after all, I didn't get that much excited about ACTA. I don't regret buying books anyway, as they are a great resource for me as I still want to play B5 ship battles, but instead of using ACTA, I've started to develop a new rulesset. I've been doing pretty large amount of job with it, and I still will, and who knows - maybe some day I might order prints and sell it. There's so much games around with good things and bad things, and I've started to parse together a system I could use for B5, Star Wars or any other scifi space battles. But more on that later :)

I've been able to continue my scratchbuilding project. I finished Hyperions for quite a while ago but hadn't posted pics before. I also finished my first shadow ship, although the base is quite ugly, I'll probably have to do something about it. I put together 3 Sharlins - thanks for hints & encouragement Urobach! They are not perfect in general, but they are perfect for my needs :)

Models are still in the same place:

http://anttiweb.net/models/b5/

You might also be interested in another project of mine, a Terragenesis competition entry, which isn't ready yet though; Competition theme is fire and I decided to do some burning starship wrecks.

Link: http://www.terragenesis.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4230

Thanks for compliments :) I still have a long list of ships I'm planning to do; Liners, freighters, vorlons, brakiri, frazi & vree ships - generally those from the show.

In addition to canon stuff, I might do a few designs of my own that fit the spirit of B5 races but are original so I can use them as default units with my rules.

Btw, it might be cool to do Planet Killer & Shadow cloud - cloud might actually be quite easy with black wool :D Is there any kind of statistics for them anywhere?

look at burgers ship viewer, the stats for a shadow cloud existed in 1st ed

Back