scary and cranky

whoa thats all i can say looks good for those who scaled back and didn't buy to much stuff but for those who bought big and supported the 'goose' its a little kick in the teeth. Now not only are my minatures dated they look terrible compared to the new ones.

msprange said:
They will be pre-painted to a level better than 90% of gamers can produce themselves – and that is no idle boast, as you can see from these pictures.

so why bother

Also i think my LGS is going to want to kill anyone who mentions SST, let alone plays it. Were they even warned or has this now been one of those, oh sucks to be you surprises that EE is famous for? Some have tons of now inferior impossible to sell product. Its not like anyones going to want the old stuff. Most will wait till the new pre-painted stuff comes out. Then why bother with the old? I mean i know there is a few who will search for the old stuff, but its only a few.

Personally i feel a little burned. Hey the new game looks fantastic sounds even better but will it ever come out? What about the GROPOS knock off the WW2 battleship game what about armegeddon. All of these have been promised and spoken up and teased, but nadda.

So for supporting mongoose and doing a few demos buying their stock getting some friends (who will most likely kill me after reading the post). I get a crappy army and outdated miniatures. Thanks mongoose.

yes but mongoose said you can use your old starship minatures with the new game and i think it is good what mongoose and they have my backing i was dissapointed but i got over that and looked further on and battlefield evolution looks awesome good job mongoose

yep supported an will look as good as the old 2nd edition SMURFS against the new 4th ed ones, brilliant glad i wasted my money... well im off to ebay to get rid of my SST looks like BAB5 is my game anyway

so your just gonna drop starship troopers cause you think your models look outdated come on man your goin to far

combatdroid113 said:
Most will wait till the new pre-painted stuff comes out. Then why bother with the old?

Because for those who like to paint their own models(quite a lot of us) it doesn't really matter wether it's old or new pre-painted. They still have to paint them.

combatdroid113 said:
yep supported an will look as good as the old 2nd edition SMURFS against the new 4th ed ones, brilliant glad i wasted my money... well im off to ebay to get rid of my SST looks like BAB5 is my game anyway

Lol. Grizzlies for example aren't going to change in anyway so how did you waste your models? Same look old vs new.

Okay maybe you have skinnie army but remember look is matter of taste. Maybe you don't like new sculpts but prefer old ones...

cool thats great i know im going to far but when you look at it what notice did anyone get? i have spent almost 1500 bucks on SST love to have known this nugget beforehand. like my army was soon going to be of the crappy variety.

Oh i realise they "support" the old figs. But the proof is usually in the tasting.

Trust me, I'm more than a little miffed about the boxes and boxes of stock I'll likely never be able to sell now. Worse yet it means I have a lifetimes supply of the unpainted SST minis and will probably have to paint them myself before I can even dream of getting any of the new stuff.

But I'm realistic. SST wasn't selling anyway, so I was probably stuck with that stock no matter what. I also can't really fault Mongoose for making a better looking product, just because it makes the older stuff look worse - if companies didn't improve products we would still all be driving around in Model T Fords. I can hardly fault computer companies for making a better PC than the one on my desk in a years time, so how can I fault Mongoose for improving their products?

With the influx of new players the prepaints should bring in, there's a pretty good chance I may even be able to sell some of that unpainted stuff due to the extra customers - maybe some of those that come into the game for the prepaints are quite likely to still want the occasional unpainted set of figures for conversions or to try their hand at painting themselves.

The way I see it, the situation can only improve things for stores if SST wasn't selling in the first place, as there will be a wider potential customer base to try and sell the "unsellable" stock to.

Obviously that doesn't help you :( But at least I can let you know that I'm in the same boat as you as a player stuck with a ton of the old minis.

yeah well till the burned feeling goes, it will be Flames of war and 40k and warmachine. Also i realise that this is a forum of Fans i just thought i'd post my opinion. Hey good luck to you all.

combatdroid113 said:
cool thats great i know im going to far but when you look at it what notice did anyone get?

Did you seriously except Mongoose wouldn't ever improve their sculpts?-)

But there's always going to be demand for even old models if there's gamers. Heck I know people who SWEAR in name of 4th edition WHFB metal models over new designs. Heck I know people who prefer those 4th/5th ed one pose plastics over new plastic models!

combatdroid113 said:
cool thats great i know im going to far but when you look at it what notice did anyone get?

Umm. . .

We are telling you eight months before it happens - how much notice do you want?

yes but what is stopping u still using your starship troopers minatures nothing its just your preference that you think they look outdated read around and people have spent 3000 dollars on the stuff but there not saying anythin

i have a bunch of unpainted stuff left and will probably buy more while waiting for new stuff to be released, if they change marauders and stuff it'll only be different versions of the same basic stuff ingame,
Have you checked how many different models of the T34 that was produced for example, theyre all (mostly;)) just T34s on a gamingtable..

msprange said:
Umm. . .

We are telling you eight months before it happens - how much notice do you want?

no you are saying that there was an announcement and new technology. Not we are changing the way the game miniatures are. There was no mention of prepainted or anything. In fact i thought you maybe doing a splash release of the Forth.

Actually i only got an idea that there was an announcment from the continuous "false" announcments on this board

combatdroid113 said:
There was no mention of prepainted or anything.

And what does pre-painted change anything? Except of course adding more options.

It's not like your paintings are invalidated or you can't paint yourself anymore.

Col_stone said:
Have you checked how many different models of the T34 that was produced for example, theyre all (mostly;)) just T34s on a gamingtable..

yes but a t34 is easy to point out and has many historical references. how many stules of skinnies am i going to get?

hey i maybe the only one who is dubious on the new ideas but i beleive i have a right to air them.

everyone moaned about mongoose nead to improve there quality so they do and people still moan you just cant please everyone

zlatan said:
everyone moaned about mongoose nead to improve there quality so they do and people still moan you just cant please everyone

no infact i was happy with the skinnies. yes they need quality control so does GW so does Battlefront so does just about every gaming company

combatdroid113 said:
how many stules of skinnies am i going to get?

And would that actually be that bad? My epic orc army has different editions of different units from 1st version to latest versions. It's not like newest version is required to play...

Actually older models will eventually end up giving nice colour to armies. I know that in FB/40k tournaments I'm mostly interested in armies with old models as those are more invidual than n+1 armies out of newest models.

Back