scary and cranky

combatdroid113 said:
no infact i was happy with the skinnies.

Well you can then keep buying those and use them. You'll have army that is going to be definetly different to new wave of skinnie armies :D

Lots of people weren't happy about them. Shouldn't they then be improved just because there's also some who like them? Or maybe redesign them for those who don't like old ones and keep old ones on sale who like old ones...That sounds to me as perfect solution :D

combatdroid113 said:
hey i maybe the only one who is dubious on the new ideas but i beleive i have a right to air them.

You're not the only one who is dubious. There are 30+ pages filled with doubters on the main thread. And of course you have a right to air them.

The sculpts aren't really going to change, compare the old and new Exo-suits - they're identical. As are the bugs. Or is it the painting you are concerned about? Is it your painted figures you consider 'crappy'?

Every successful game gets a new edition after a couple of years. Board games get new pieces, mini games get new sculpts. When I first played Risk, it had little triangular chunks of plastic for playing pieces, now it has Napoleonic infanty, cavalry and cannons - it is still the same game.

I see this as a wholy positive announcement as it will bring new players to the game - personally I am the only person locally who has the game. So more players will be a good thing.

If you have a surfeit of players and no unpainted figures and want new stuff yesterday, then I can see how this is a bad thing. Otherwise, it can only be good for the game.

It will become worth some money. Look at the original Citadel minis, some of them are plain awful, now they are worth lots.

I have bought models for about 7 different forces (5 human, 1 bugs and 1 skinnie). I still don't feel cheated by mongoose any way (well, I WAS expecting to get my hands on some Forth this fall... so perhaps I feel a little "cheated").

I plan to re-paint the MI stuff I still need to buy to fit to my existing models, but I'm pretty happy thinking I don't need to paint any more bugs!

I have to say that Mongoose took a bold step when they basically said that they don't need my money for six(+) months...

I still need to buy a few boxes of old stuff, but basically I won't spend any money on Mongoose stuff until Battlefield-Evo comes out (I will buy at least few boxes to check the models and the game. And if it is as good as I think it will be, I'll propably end up doing two or three armies for the game... Can't wait to get my hands on an Apache or Warthog!)

It's going to be an one hell of a wait till BF-Evo and SST-Evo come out, but I have a lots of SST stuff still waiting to be done and the game is still as good as ever. Theres no reason to stop playing the old game until the new one comes out.

And I really, really, really do hope that the Evolution breaks through the market which SST failed to do (at least here in Finland). Mongoose deserves to get a succesful game out of the SST, because it's the best game I have palayed so far.

I like the "old" models, and will buy, assemble and paint them. And I will wait for the new stiff to appear. In meantime I will play with my guys.

I is a game, no religion. Times change and things go on. See the bright stuff! Collect your army, defeat your foes, have a lot of fun (even losing). That is what wargaming is about.

Do not fret.

I'm baffled by this sort of response - the new models are 8 months away, and people are already throwing their toys out of the pram over this. You can still play with what you've got, you can still order models that you haven't got yet (I know I will be!) and take advantage of the unpaintedness of what's already out if that's what bothers you.
I've only just started SST and I still have to complete my Exo platoon, my CAP troopers, and my Bugs. I haven't even thought about Marauders yet, but I imagine I'll get some of them too.

I will avoid models that have been mentioned as being significantly redone (i.e. hoppers) but I don't see any point in not buying the existing Exos, ripplers etc. - as I say, why are people complaining that this is the end of SST? The game is playable right now, has great models which are staying in production (and look identical to those we've seen in the new style). As for the rulesbook update, you've been asking for it for ages, and I think Msprange already mentioned that the new version may be given out free in S&P, so it's not as if you will have to buy them again.

All I can see changing is possibly the army lists, though I really hope that this doesn't become 'boxset-centric' and eliminate the customisable squads/armies we have atm in favour of building things on the boxed sets.

I think the point all of you are missing is that if you'd gone out on a line and told your friends to buy into SST, and had planned you're purchases around the rel;eases that were due this year having hassled your FLGS to get them in, your gonna end up looking like a complete prat now.

Its a great shining new future for SST but thast doesn't change the fact that theres eight months to wait without anything exciting and new, whereas for instance GW was producing new models right up until a couple of months before 7th edition, this hobby is an addiction and Mongoose has just cut of the supply of fresh crank to its users, you seriously can't expect a turkey clucking for his fix to be civil to the dealer whos told him he wont be seeing any till April next year?!?! :lol:

And anyone who played Skinnies should be pissed off, they new they were buying inferior product, but continued to do so because the company appeared to be standing behind them 100%. Then without warning Mongoose has announced a restart of the skinnies. Now considering the ones in the exisisting range dont match up, what hope is there for integration between the old one and the new ones?!?!?

Now don't get me wrong, I'm psyched for it (I'm gonna force my non painitng friends to buy them to make up for the hard work I used to have to put in), but all of you people acting astounded that anyone would be a bit miffed at this announcement need to take a reality check, for cerial :D

im mostly with Combat droid, and with time like max here

but my worry is that this move will be a transitory game, maybe not because of mongoose but simply because of the younger audience... well see... and im very upset about having release dates pulled like this, and the drop ships not coming out, I feel cheated I also just plain dont like the idea of pre-paints or at least pre-assembled

and frankly Zlatlan what makes you have such a right to criticize the moaners, I hope you own some SST mini-s but I dont have a good impression of someone who has 89 or so posts in a mere 4 days.

now go run along and let us dinosaurs be upset

im not critizing the moaners im just backin what max said because everyone moaned about new wminatures they get them and people still moan its zlatan by the way :D

combatdroid113 said:
[

no you are saying that there was an announcement and new technology. Not we are changing the way the game miniatures are. There was no mention of prepainted or anything.

Umm. . .

So how much notice should we give, before we give notice?

I figure it like this... I got into this game as a gateway to other games for my g/f's kid. By the end of the month we're going to have all the SST stuff we ever planned on having, it will be painted my way and used on my terrain. By the time the new stuff comes along, I'm sure we'll have moved onto a different game (she's already making noise about him playing Hordes with us, and I work for Dark Age, so something new is bound to catch him sooner or later.) We'll save the SST stuff and as our various kids get old enough to play, we can keep busting it out and using it to teach the next age group.

Might help some of you complaining about no new releases for 8 months if you would look at other threads on this Forum.

Matt gave a list of SST stuff that be coming out the rest of thius year. Look it up, I am not going to bother repeating it.

First of all Battlefield Evo is scheduled out in 5 to 6 months. Take a look when it comes out, that will let you see the quality of the PPMs in person.

Look through the 30 pages of doomsayers and you will find a lot of positive info as well. If we are all truly miniature crackheads as has been suggested I feel sorry for us.

I currently have approx 270 plus LAMI based and primed, ready to paint.

Add 10 Marauders to assemble and paint 17 Exo-suits to assemble and paint, 64 PAMI to assemble paint, 60 warrior bugs same. by the tenth of September I will have 3 Tankers, 1 King Tanker, 3 Brain Bugs and the list goes on.

I have plenty to keep me busy until the April release of SST Evo.
I would guess that most gamers out there have many such projects to keep themselves busy until new stuff comes out.

Can you field every possible army combination, you would like to be able to, if not gather the necessary figures, assemble, paint and play some games.

Have some fun with this time and do not fear the end of the world really is not coming, yet!! Errrrrr . . . say what does this big red button do anyway??????? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ok. First, let me start by saying that what MGP is doing here is probably the best thing they could be doing in terms of the future. I'm a dinasaur (actually only 27 but suddenly if you actually prefer to model/paint your stuff then you're a dinasaur), and I play wargames because I LIKE the hobby aspect of it. For me (and this is a strictly personal opinion) pre-paints are boring, and too much like just buying toys. I don't need any toys.

Yes, it's true that many of us wanted MGP to improve their quality, but:

A. We don't know yet whether they have or not
B. I was hoping for improved quality, NOT a 180 reverse on direction.
It's almost like saying "We couldn't figure out how to do it right so we're
just gonna do something else."

I do think that 8 months is plenty of time, and I don't see how MGP could
have gone about this ina different manner, but last night I fell into the exact situation Max just reffered to. I've been harping on the coolness of the Forth and the immenant release of some the "cooler" models, and saying just wait for this fall.... My LGS was going to dump the game entirely, but didn't - because I persuaded him not to. There I am sitting
in the back room w/my huge SST collection waiting for the 4 other guys I recently got into the game to show up (they never did. I found out today that they decided to drop SST.) when the local 40k heads come and ask in an all too sarcastic tone "What's up with Starship Bloopers?" The owner laughs as he explains the whole pre-paint/8 month announcement
while he's on the phone w/his distributors trying to figure out what to do w/the SST stuff he's got left, and all I can do is just sit there like a tool and take it while everyone pretty much laughed and pointed. I can definately understand why some people are a little bummed about this.

I can see where people are coming from and I know a lot of people are upset but eight months notice is plenty really, could have been worse they could have kept quiet about it and let people think that they were no-longer supporting the range.
I do feel bad for the independent stores who already have stock but if it's not shifting now they'll probably atleast have a chance of selling it alongside the PPM stuff rather than just chucking it on ebay.
Atleast we know what lies ahead, I'm putting together my bug army after serving my time with the MI and had planned my future purchases for the next three months. I'm just going to carry on regardless with the army, I can't see why I have to replace them when the PPM come out. :)
I'm still going to post pictures of my stuff and support the game as much as possible just like I've always done. :)

I don't see why people are stressing about shifting the models, except to say that certain people seem to have spun this out of all proportion - retailers do understand, dont they that:

a. they've got the better part of a year left still before the prepaints come out
b. if they know what they're talking about, they can simply explain to people that the existing models will still be fine in April, and that there's no reason to give up on them given that many aren't even changing
c. the rules are only being updated, not significantly changed

How is this /any/ different to GW bringing out a new codex and models? Because they're prepainted? Big deal! This is just silly, especially considering the fact that /all/ the existing SST stuff will still be available until and then after the new stuff comes out.

Frankly I don't see any reason to stop collecting as I am now - I only started 2 months ago now with SST, and I see this change as just a step up in the distant future rather than the 'sudden death' of the game that some people have been talking about. Given that many game stores seem to have been having trouble shifting their stock up to now, perhaps a radical change was needed. Obviously those people in the game store pointing and laughing aren't the kind of people we want to play with now, are they? Well, let's not aim for them.

Honestly, while I personally will probably not play SST after this, I do think MGP has made this change in a very "stand-up" sort of way. I don't see how they could have done it any better/differently, but I've been collecting since the game came out-I have everything (in multiples) except for some of the sub-par Skinnies, and the prospect of not being able to paint/convert "fresh" minis just doesn't appeal to me. I have yet to see a company make a pre-paint that accepts paint/primer well, AND is easily converted, so my apprehensions have nothing to do w/rules etc., just personal preference.

Back