Review: Beastiary of the Hyborian Age

The King said:
I noticed I posted 4 times the same message (and it seems I can't erase them now).

It is just because my connexion seemed to be lamed, my first post wouldn't be aknowledged (thus I clicked 4 times on submission) and I couldn't access the Mongoose site anymore to see this.
I sometime accidentally do double-posts too (a quadruple-post, that quit rare). When I respond to multiple posts, I like to add the same amount of quotes for the lulz. ;)

The King said:
Anyway, Thanks Malcadon to give the name of the witch.

I also said she should deserve her own class (I talked of some witch class at the time, but beastmaster should be bad).

As to the movie (Beastmaster) it isn't bad either but I only saw the first one.
Oh, no problem! The first movie was good, but the second one just sucked, and the TV show (or was it Tarzan, like it was any different) was drawn out, boring and lame.

The King said:
You didn't read it? You should stop everything you're doing and read it immediately.
I got to much on my plate to sink my teeth in a novel-length story. I'm still reading A Witch Shall Be Born, and I'm saving Hour of the Dragon for the right time.

There was also this old issue of Conan the Barbarian, where the original Amra, who commands lions, kidnaps Belit to make her his mate. Of course Conan does not see things that way and kills Amra; thus earning his title.
Amra is very much Tarzan like and could maybe fit into the Beastmaster Class.

Hervé said:
There was also this old issue of Conan the Barbarian, where the original Amra, who commands lions, kidnaps Belit to make her his mate. Of course Conan does not see things that way and kills Amra; thus earning his title.
Amra is very much Tarzan like and could maybe fit into the Beastmaster Class.
I remember this one story (with the first red haired Amra) as I read it not so long ago (courtesy of Dark Horse reprint).
The way it is described there, I'd rather say this is more the strong charism/personality of the characters which impress these animals than their actual power over animals. (like all such animals, dogs included, this is a relation between masters ans servants - many prey animals rules like this).
On the other way Zelata has more an intuitive and spiritual power over animals which enable her to have any animals as pets (eagles, etc.), that is as equal and not in a master/servant relationship.

The book isn't available in France yet (I hope french distributors will get it this week). Is there anyone that can tell how much of the book is new material and how much is reprinted stuff from older books?
Maybe a few pages of preview on Mongoose main site would have helped.

Malcadon said:
The King said:
I had thought ot the witch who help Conan in the Hour of the Dragon (but I can't remember her name).
I think her name is Zelata.
The King said:
I had thought ot the witch who help Conan in the Hour of the Dragon (but I can't remember her name).
Maybe her name is Zelata.
The King said:
Her name could be Zelata.
The King said:
I have yet to read the story, but I think someone said it was Zelata.

[a reply to all four post :p]

Hilarious! :lol:

Cant wait for some more reviews by the community. When is this book supposed to hit the bookshelves in the U.S.?

I picked it up yesterday. Mongoose is at the GAMA show in Vegas. It is a really great looking book with only about 15% of it being monsters that have previously been published.

Bryan did a good job. Although I haven't read it for grammatical/editing errors the look and uniqueness is impressive and usuable in the Conan rpg without it feeling like a heavy magic system.

The monsters are believable and definately usuable in the game.

Eric in Vegas

I only have the Atlantean edition. Is the Bestiary translatable to it? EG: would I recognize stats and feats, and so forth w/o having to buy the 2nd ed?

Would I be risking a forum-ban on my head if I asked for a listing of the critters in the Bestiary? (Or should I ask about the beasties in the Critterary?) :D

*sigh* I'm tempted to get it now! Damn you with all your positive reviews!

Blast! I'm being seduced by the Dark 2E Side! Help me Obi-wan! You're my only hope!!

Bryan did a good job.

Thanks Eric, it was a lot of fun and I'm glad to see it is finally getting out there for others too!

Also, sorry I missed you at GAMA. Family emergency took me away. :(

-Bry

Sorry to hear about the family emergency, I totally understand. Hopefully will see you at Gen Con Indy this year.

I always give credit where credit is due.

Eric in Vegas

I got my copy yesterday and I was quite impressed by the quality of the book. Binding and printing quality are excellent (I particularly like the slighty rounded back). Although the book is B/W, it seems we're back to the quality standards we'd expect from Mongoose.
However, interior art is average at best.

Here's the list Yogah asked for.
Matt, if I'm violating anything, just cancel my post.

MONSTERS
Aarix
Bestial Things Of Yg
Black Fiend
Black Lotus
Black Ones
Black Spawn Of Jullah
Blooded Stones
Bodiless Slimmer
Brylukas
Chakan
Child Of The Dark
Children Of The Night
Crawler
Demon Of The Deep
Dinausaur (6)
Dragon
Dragon, Aquatic
Elementals (4)
Emerald Lotus
Foaming Blasphemy
Forest-Devil
Frost Giant
Frost Worm
Gelid Abomination
Ghost, Haunting
Ghost, Spontaneous
Ghost Whale
Ghoul
Giant Bat
Giant Centipede
Giant Crocodile, Stygian
Giant Eagle/Great Hawk
Giant Jellyfish
Giant Mantid
Giant Octopus
Giant Slug
Giant Tick
Giant White Ram
Giant-Kin
Golden Jungle Monkey
Gorgon
Great Ape
Great Bear
Great Boar
Great Shark
Grey Ape
Grey Devil
Guardian Ape Of Jullah
Guardian Demon
Hydragon
Hyena Lord
Hyena-Men
Iron Shadow
Jaguar-Men
Kithan Dragon Lizard
King Scorpion
Kraken
Lamia
Lotus-Thing
Man-Ape
Man-Brute
Man-Serpent
Maneless Lion
Manticore
Monstruosity From Hell
Mummy
Mummy, Living Ka
Naga
Night-Weird
Nordwolf
Orisha
Pictish Hound
Riders Of Ollam-Onga
Risen Dead
River Lion
Sabre-Tooth
Saurian
Sea Fire
Serpopard
Servitor Of Quf-Jushke’een
Shambling Boar-Thing
Siren
Smoke-Serpent
Snake-Men
Spider Thing
Starved One
Stygian Scarab
Swamp Demon, Lesser
Swamp Devil
Swarms (7)
Tentacle Spawn
Titan Snake
Uncanny Steed
Vampire
Were-Beast (3)
Wild-Men
Wind Ghosts
Winged Ones
Winged Serpent
Yaggite
Yizil
Yothga

ANIMALS
Alligator
Ape
Baboon
Badger
Bear
Boar
Camel
Cat
Cattle
Cheetah
Crocodile
Deer
Dog
Donkey
Eagle
Elk
Elephant
Fox
Hawk
Hippopotamus
Horses
Hyena
Kangaroo
Lion
Monitor Lizard
Lynx
Mongoose, Giant (Editor's Pet?)
Monkey
Owl
Panda Bear
Panther
Raven
Raven, Blood
Rhinoceros
Scorpions (7)
Shark
Snakes (9)
Spider, Giant
Tiger
Vulture
Whale
Wolf
Zebra

Hervé: THANKS!! :D
Looks like a tasty deli counter of Hyborian meats! :lol:

"Um, yeah, can I get some tentacle spawn cutlets on an onion-roll? With Mustard? Oh, and hold the Giant Tick!"

Giant Mongoose

:roll: :D

Serpopard: " A beast with the body of a great cat topped with a long and serpentine neck that ends in a draconic or reptilian head filled with savage teeth."

I think it first appeared in the Stygia sourcebook if my memories are good. I don't know about its origins (maybe a pastiche). Anyways this critter is far too much "dungeonesque" for me and looks ridiculous to me.

Servitor Of Quf-Jushke’een:"created by the demon-god of the monstrous ghouls, these hideous demons are hulking lumps of toad-like flesh that are covered in thorny protusions" .

Mmmm... this one's more my taste...

Back