Review: Beastiary of the Hyborian Age

Kincaid

Mongoose
Wondering if anyone has this book yet and could tell us something about it.

I have been asking for this book to be created since this game came out and am glad its finally here. Hopefully its chock full of monsters and tons of NPC villians.

I havent bought any 2e books yet but this one might be the first depending on what people say.

This book appears to finally be out.

Can someone give us their take on it? How many pages? Black and white? How many monsters? ect.

Well I can give some info to give to you guys:

176 pages. Hardback.

A few pages of more general information before 122 pages of Monsters. Descriptions, stat blocks, how they fight in combat. Many illustrations.

31 pages of animals. Higher density of stat blocks and no art, since pretty much everyone knows what a zebra/horse/wolf/spider and so on looks like.

4 pages on the Beastmaster class.

9 pages of rules that explain bits that need explaining.

The other pages are the index, license, contents, etc.

And that is it for this little peek into the book...

It is B&W

The Beastmaster is a prestige class for those who, well, as masters over animals. Tarzanesque abilities, you could say.

Mongoose Acolyte said:
The Beastmaster is a prestige class for those who, well, as masters over animals. Tarzanesque abilities, you could say.

Thanks!

What particular Conan story or character was the inspiration for the Beast Master?

The King said:
is it color or B/W?

King,

For the record, I too was very dissapointed by their decision to go b/w. The first edition was gorgeous in its color and what set it better apart than the bloodied weapons in the equipment section?

Yet still, I am still excited about this book.

sgstyrsky said:
What particular Conan story or character was the inspiration for the Beast Master?
What else?
Marc-Singer---Beastmaster-Photograph-C10102266.jpeg

And is a dame good movie too!

Well yeah, of course the movie inspired me...but he asked what Conan story. :)

Podo and Kodo for the win!

Malcadon said:
sgstyrsky said:
I had thought ot the witch who help Conan in the Hour of the Dragon (but I can't remember her name).

Malcadon said:
sgstyrsky said:
I had thought ot the witch who help Conan in the Hour of the Dragon (but I can't remember her name).

Malcadon said:
sgstyrsky said:

Malcadon said:
sgstyrsky said:

The King said:
I think her name is Zelata.
The King said:
Maybe her name is Zelata.
The King said:
Her name could be Zelata.
The King said:
I have yet to read the story, but I think someone said it was Zelata.

[a reply to all four post :p]

I noticed I posted 4 times the same message (and it seems I can't erase them now).

It is just because my connexion seemed to be lamed, my first post wouldn't be aknowledged (thus I clicked 4 times on submission) and I couldn't access the Mongoose site anymore to see this.

Anyway, Thanks Malcadon to give the name of the witch.

I also said she should deserve her own class (I talked of some witch class at the time, but beastmaster should be bad).

As to the movie (Beastmaster) it isn't bad either but I only saw the first one.

Back