Reckoning of years in Conan

E Nicely

Mongoose
So I'm gearing up for my first Conan game. I'm a stickler for dates and chronologies and wanted to know if there is a canon or non-canon calendar for the Hyborian age. I think I saw a reference to an in-game year in a post here, can't find it. Any assistance will be appreciated.

There are, however, disputes about the actual chronology. You'll need to choose one for yourself. We've been placing all of our games AFTER Conan became king.

I'm hoping that the Road of Kings includes a timeline for the Conan RPG

The way I see it, unless you plan on involving Conan and is adventures into your games, it really doesn't matter about a timeline. Just pick a date and go from there.

Actually, I'm pondering not having my campaign after Conan becomes king, but starting 'about' the same time as Conan leaves Cimmeria. His path and the PC's will cross tangently, but not directly...much.

You may enjoy Vincent Darlage's D20 Conan site that details Conan's rise to power. It uses Vince's timeline as understood by his very thorough readings of the original Howard material. It uses D&D classes and conventions for the levels but they would be easily converted to Conan -- not surprisingly, the Conan RPG would give a more accurate build since D&D doesn't have Pirate and Noble classes!

Grim Wanderer said:
The way I see it, unless you plan on involving Conan and is adventures into your games, it really doesn't matter about a timeline. Just pick a date and go from there.

Actually, it matters a hell of a lot. My game is set during Conan's life, but the PCs are not interacting with him. Regardless, other things occur during Conan's life, like the king of Turan dying and getting replaced, and many other events, caused by or independent of Conan, that I consider important to keep straight when running a campaign, else consistency may be lost and contradictions arise.

Yep. Dates do matter in my games, doesn't matter that Conan isn't in it. If I can't find anything better I'll pick a kingdom, probably Nemedia or Aquilonia, assign years to the events around my game as that kingdom's calendar. The timeline of Conan's life on the Hyborian Age site (which is pretty darn good) will be the basis for the major events.

But I find it hard to beleive that there isn't some calendar that has been worked out already. No calendars for Hyboria?

Although the stories have been arranged in chronological order (and there is still some dispute about the true order), Howard didn't assign actual "dates" to any of the stories, and, for the most part, does not indicate how many days, months, or even years pass between the various tales.

The best chronology that I know of is Dale Rippke's: http://www.rehupa.com/rippke_chronology.htm

As far as I am concerned, that one is as authoritative and correct as it gets.

There are no known "dates". You will have to decide that for yourself. Since the tales move Conan from a youth to his 40's, there are a lot of years there unaccounted for.

"Conan Saga", Marvel's reprint magazine of Conan comics, once listed an impressive chronology of Conan's comic adventures, but it also did not include dates.

Thanks for the link, Vincent. I guess that will be as comprehensive a timeline as I can get, it'll work. Just for my own piece of mind, I'll work out some dates based on a made up calendar for one of the major kingdoms. I'll set year one at some major event, gaining independance, a king's coronation, whatever. I'll put it up here when I'm done.

But hey, where does Conan's rise to the throne of Aquilonia fit in to the "Hyborian Age" essay (REH). Maybe I'm being unobservant but I can't find a reference to Conan in it.

VincentDarlage said:
The best chronology that I know of is Dale Rippke's: http://www.rehupa.com/rippke_chronology.htm

As far as I am concerned, that one is as authoritative and correct as it gets.

That's the one I use and like it, but the problem is, unless you THOROUGHLY know the stories, you don't know which events occurred when, namely, changes in kings, etc. That timeline is very Conan-centric, understandably, but what I would like is one that listed major events that may or may not be a result of Conan on it.

Lowly Uhlan said:
I guess that will be as comprehensive a timeline as I can get, it'll work. Just for my own piece of mind, I'll work out some dates based on a made up calendar for one of the major kingdoms. I'll set year one at some major event, gaining independance, a king's coronation, whatever. I'll put it up here when I'm done.
This might help:

Year of the...
1 - Lion *
2 - Sun
3 - Wolf
4 - Spider *
5 - Serpent
6 - Eagle
7 - Dragon *
8 - Horse

Each year begins on the first full moon after the summer solstice. Days within each month are numbered.

Month of the...
1 - Griffin
2 - Fire
3 - The Golden Month
4 - Maiden
5 - Scorpion
6 - Bear
7 - Snow Ape
8 - Fish
9 - Rat
10 - Sparrow
11 - Hawk
12 - Ram
13 - Dragon (* occurs only in the year of the Lion, Spider and Dragon)

For easier dating, years are numbered from the year Aquilonia was founded. Conan was born in 1248 A.A. (Aquilonian Age): the Year of the Lion.

The above is taken from the GURPS Conan book, but should be a good starting point for you at least.

TTFN,

Yokiboy

In the tale The Scarlet Citadel, we have this: "Today is the tenth day of the month Yuluk, of the year of the Gazelle." This was enough for a character to determine that he had been imprisoned for ten years...

Now I don't see a year of the Gazelle in the Gurps system, so it must be another Hyborian calendar system... ;) There is also the matter of the month Yuluk. This is a Turkish word meaning "shaven" if I'm not mistaken...

Like to flesh out a calendar in the REH spirit. Maybe desert animals (one mythical) for the years, and who knows what for the months.

Oftentimes the months describe the seasons. Also, many ancient calendar systems depend on the year of reign of a particular monarch or dynasty.

Also, check this out:
A Variety of Calendars

Well, for starters, King Yezdigerd replaced King Yildiz before "Shadows in Zamboula"

King Numedides replaces King Vilerus as King of Aquilonia after "Drums of Tumbalku" (which mentions Vilerus as king of Aquilonia) but before "Beyond the Black River" (which mentions Numedides as king).

Yokiboy, the Aquilonian dating will be a great starting place. 8) . Vincent, thanks for the info on the kings, the game might be "Aquilonia-centric".

VincentDarlage said:
Well, for starters, King Yezdigerd replaced King Yildiz before "Shadows in Zamboula"

King Numedides replaces King Vilerus as King of Aquilonia after "Drums of Tumbalku" (which mentions Vilerus as king of Aquilonia) but before "Beyond the Black River" (which mentions Numedides as king).

Thanks for the info. I wouldn't doubt that there are a number of other things like this that can catalogued, e.g., times for battles, rebellions, slain significant figures, etc., which would be nice to have in a timeline.

Back