Races of Magnamund

Well all those descriptions of a blond black man are of the same character (Paido). As such I considered him to be more of a unique personality (in that the other people of the Vakeros might not all be fair haired).

All those years ago I recall thinking of a dark skinned man with viking style blond plaits but now that I think of it I'm thinking more of those shortish plaits that are small and clustered like dreadlocks, possibly going back across his scalp and hanging down at the sides and back (an idea that did not present itself to me back when I was in my pre teen years).

Um, there's other people with plaits in the Lone Wolf art (I'm thinking of that woman in book 6 and a few other pictures too).

Balgin Stondraeg said:
Well all those descriptions of a blond black man are of the same character (Paido). As such I considered him to be more of a unique personality (in that the other people of the Vakeros might not all be fair haired).

True, we are all looking at a specific individual, but going back to The Dungeons Of Torgar ( I must be sounding like a stuck record at this point... :) ) Paido's features are described as being "distinctive" for a "Vakeros, a native warrior-magician of Dessi".
From this it seems indesputable that all Vakeros Knights have similar features. If they didn't, there would be no reference to Paido's features being distinctive at all.
In addition, Angantyr quotes from Castle Death..."The Vakeros are NATIVE SOLDIERS (my emphasis) who have been taught the art of battle magic by the Elder magi to help them defend the northern border agaist invasion by the war like Vassagonians." This strongly suggests (though. I'll concede. does not prove) that a Vakeros knights abilities are not the result of cross-breeding with the Magi. It also scuppers my idea that the Vakeros Knights were formed for the war against Agarash. Oh well...
Oh, Balgin, I was only suggesting that plaits were ileagal for non-Vakkeros within the nation of Dessi, not all through Magnamund! Of course people outside that realm can have plaits. And if that still dosen't work for you, consider this. It has been pointed out that the idea of a black man with blond hair seems odd, mainly because it is not something that happens in the real world very often. But if we accept the MoM view that there are distictive bloodlines for the Vakeros, then the possibility arises that the gene for hair colour may be linked to or affected by that for magical ability. Hence, only those Dessi natives with fair hair could train in the arts of battle magic.

Paido's features are described as being "distinctive" for a "Vakeros, a native warrior-magician of Dessi".

Agreed although I've never owned a copy of Dungeon's of Torgar (only ever owned the first 9 books) and am eagerly playing through them all (from book 1) using a combination of my collection and Project Aon. I've only recently finished book 7 and am getting round to starting 8. When I get to Dungeon's of Torgar I'll let you know but the way it's written I would've thought that referred to the eyes and possibly the bone structure but who knows :). I'm trying to remain open minded here.

Oh, Balgin, I was only suggesting that plaits were ileagal for non-Vakkeros within the nation of Dessi, not all through Magnamund! Of course people outside that realm can have plaits.

Well there's nowt wrong with that. Maybe it's like the samurai topknot or something.

It has been pointed out that the idea of a black man with blond hair seems odd, mainly because it is not something that happens in the real world very often. But if we accept the MoM view that there are distictive bloodlines for the Vakeros, then the possibility arises that the gene for hair colour may be linked to or affected by that for magical ability. Hence, only those Dessi natives with fair hair could train in the arts of battle magic.

That's quite possible and quite acceptable. I'll think on that one for a bit but it seems good.

Back