Probably a silly question

In ACTA "weak" has no effect against armour 6 ships you just count a 6 as a hit still.

I assumed it was the same in VAS, but actually does weak mean you can't damage hull 6 ships?

Ta

K

Captain Kremmen said:
In ACTA "weak" has no effect against armour 6 ships you just count a 6 as a hit still.

I assumed it was the same in VAS, but actually does weak mean you can't damage hull 6 ships?

Ta

K

All Damage Dice rolled for these weapons suffer a –1 penalty and cannot cause critical hits.

Sorry guys I am not very well today which is my excuse for not understanding the replies.

Yes agree weak = -1 and can't cause crits.

Does this mean then that against a armour 6 ship a "weak" weapon can not do any damage at all ever?

Ta

K

No, because Weak weapons can still get the other to-hit modifiers, such as +1 for Beam, +1 for Spotter Plane and such. So it could be improved to a 5+ to-hit, but would not be able to cause a Critical.

Make sense?

mysto, those modifiers apply to "to hit" rolls, but not "armor" rolls.
Weak, AP, and SAP only apply to armor.

And I believe it says somewhere, that a 6 may not always hit, but it always causes damage. In VAS you then need to confirm a critical hit.

Chern

Oops! Yeah, commented incorrectly, though my comment was correct for to hit.

The only other modifier for Damage is Plunging Fire at greater than 20". You get +1 to the Damage roll for that.

That's what I meant to say the first time.

Another question that I didn't think was worth a new topic.

Do Weak attacks with plunging fire cause crits?

The way I read the rules no, but it did happen with smaller caliber weapons (not often).

I can't immediately recall a weak weapon with a range of better than 20" (needed for plunging fire) however, I'd assume it would get a +1 to beat the armor (consistent with plunging fire) but be unable to cause crits (consistent with weak weapons)

Chern

Thats how I assumed it.

I'm asking because we played Prelude to Matapan: Part 1, and my British CLs had weak weapons with 24" or so range.

Chernobyl said:
I can't immediately recall a weak weapon with a range of better than 20" (needed for plunging fire) however, I'd assume it would get a +1 to beat the armor (consistent with plunging fire) but be unable to cause crits (consistent with weak weapons)

Chern

Here are ships in VAS, with weak weapons that can use plunging fire;

RN

Edinburgh-class Cruiser
Fiji-class Cruiser
Gloucester-class Cruiser
Leander-class Cruiser
Southampton-class Cruiser

Kriegsmarine

K-class Light Cruiser

French

Duguay Trouin-class Cruiser
Emile Bertain-class Cruiser
Jeanne d’Arc-class Cruiser
La Galissonniere-class Cruiser

well, thats a lot more than I thought there would be..! I've only played a coupel games with a smll number of ships...but I'm assuming you agree with my above intrepretation?

Chernobyl said:
well, thats a lot more than I thought there would be..! I've only played a coupel games with a smll number of ships...but I'm assuming you agree with my above intrepretation?

Well seems logical to me, there are no rules to say it cannot be done. Also it does say that Primary Weapons can plunge fire :)

Jammybee said:
A natural 6 will always cause damage, but a natural 6 will not always hit.

Thankyou, that is EXACTLY where I was getting confused. I remember the natural 6 not always hitting and was getting that mixed up with the damage dice.

Hoping to play first game on Sunday,

Then off to a local wargames club I haven't seen for 5 years to play them on Wednesday they haven't played much more than me so should be fun. Will let you know how it goes.

Cpt Ishido K

Haven't got the book yet but I would have thought that surely most weapons with the weak trait wouldnt really have the RANGE to count as plunging fire? Well, that is, unless your talking about strafing runs by aircraft I guess....

Locutus9956 said:
Haven't got the book yet but I would have thought that surely most weapons with the weak trait wouldnt really have the RANGE to count as plunging fire? Well, that is, unless your talking about strafing runs by aircraft I guess....
Plunging fire is over 20". Many weak weapons have over 20" range.
And there is no such thing as a strafing run!

Captain Kremmen said:
Jammybee said:
A natural 6 will always cause damage, but a natural 6 will not always hit.

Thankyou, that is EXACTLY where I was getting confused. I remember the natural 6 not always hitting and was getting that mixed up with the damage dice.

Hoping to play first game on Sunday,

Then off to a local wargames club I haven't seen for 5 years to play them on Wednesday they haven't played much more than me so should be fun. Will let you know how it goes.

Cpt Ishido K

Dont confuse your AD, and DD dice like I did in my first game :oops: Oh, and remember the +1 for Beam hits, and dont forget Movement Modifier too :)

Back