Preview: World Builder's Handbook

(I need a TARDIS to store my books... stubbed my toe on a pile of Mercenary and Deepnight books... it's not 'hoarding', it's 'collecting')

(I need a TARDIS to store my books... stubbed my toe on a pile of Mercenary and Deepnight books... it's not 'hoarding', it's 'collecting')
As long as I can count them as load-bearing book piles, I'm OK.

That said, I just watched Isaac Arthur's video about colonizing the Kuiper Belt, and there are some cool things that the core systems could have...

My wife just commented that our books function as soundproofing. To be fair, we've actually merged three libraries to form the household library...

Today in the mail I received two copies of the CSC, regular and special edition. The pile is higher. Well that pile. I need to rearrange and dedicate an entire floor to ceiling book case. FYI, earlier in the week I handed over 17 pages of notes on the draft of the WBH. Forms need some work because I made them too dense, and we're luckily not using the tiny print of the original WBH - I can't even read the letters on that one now...

I need to rearrange and dedicate an entire floor to ceiling book case.
I already rearranged, and now three out of five shelfs on one of the larger bookcases is nothing but Traveller stuff, with a fourth available if need be. Other RPG stuff is on another bookcase.

Today in the mail I received two copies of the CSC, regular and special edition. The pile is higher. Well that pile. I need to rearrange and dedicate an entire floor to ceiling book case. FYI, earlier in the week I handed over 17 pages of notes on the draft of the WBH. Forms need some work because I made them too dense, and we're luckily not using the tiny print of the original WBH - I can't even read the letters on that one now...
have you ever consider including a spread sheet?
I guess the issue with that, is which program spreadsheet do you offer and how much of an obligation is there to make it keep working, as software updates.

Well I did a spreadsheet to test out the creation process. After way too much effort, it sort of works, but I think I might have mentioned it: the limit is six moons per planet and it is an ugly duck-taped thing with no instructions. Once the sector is generated, I have to manually kill the random number generation (conveniently clumped at the end of each relevant tab, but still careful work in a prescribed order), then search through each system's up to 21 planets and theoretical six times as many moons to pick a mainworld. It was more a method to find logical problems with the generation system than a practical tool. The Storr sector was done using the spreadsheet, but it took weeks to get right, and every once in awhile I would go back and change one of those frozen random numbers to tweak results I just didn't like.

I did a spreadsheet for Robots that works better (simpler creation method and deterministic outcomes), and that is available for download - its output is rather raw, though. If what you're asking for is a spreadsheet form for Planets and systems, not a generation system, then that might be doable, but it would be half or more hand entry. Fillable PDF is the goal for WBH.

If the difference between "Crazy" and "Eccentric" is determined by one's net financial worth, then the difference between "Hoarding" and "Collecting" is probably defined by the percentage of your living area that is not occupied by "collections."

The last post in the discord was "World Builder's still being worked on. Maybe, maybe next Friday. Will keep you all informed
🙂
"

Which was posted last week.

Just getting back into Traveller, very impressed with Mongoose so far. Especially looking forward to this title, I'm hoping it provides a simple to use guide that helps us flesh out believable and interesting star systems.

If what you're asking for is a spreadsheet form for Planets and systems, not a generation system, then that might be doable, but it would be half or more hand entry. Fillable PDF is the goal for WBH.
Well, half the fun with Star System Generation procedures is implementing them yourself with your own code scripts, anyway. :p

Back