The World Builder's Handbook - It Is Here!

^This
This is why we need access to the pdf BEFORE it goes to print.

This is an extremely complex and detailed document, and we all want it to be as close to perfect as possible.

We need an August Update to the WBH to ensure we can get one more read through before it goes to the printers - I doubt anyone (myself included) who paid in advance would mind if it was held up for editing.
Congratulations. You do have access to the PDF before it goes to print. You have it and it hasn't gone to print yet.

But it is a bad idea to speak for others about what is or is not acceptable in terms of delays.

Congratulations. You do have access to the PDF before it goes to print. You have it and it hasn't gone to print yet.

But it is a bad idea to speak for others about what is or is not acceptable in terms of delays.
The last pdf we have is from July, which on the day of release had a series of changes discovered. There was even a change needed that Geir posted today. If someone does not want to wait, they have that version. If you gave someone the choice of a better edited version vs a rushed version, I doubt very many would vote for the rushed version. Ymmv.

On balance, more people would be upset by errors than by delays. But postponing the hardcover book will definitely get some non zero percentage of people unhappy, especially amongst the pdf hating crowd. I've seen it with other products. Don't particularly understand it, but I've seen it. As I said, it is a bad idea to speak for *OTHER* people. Speaking for yourself should be enough.

It looks marvelous. I scrolled thru the whole thing and I can see art! Yippee. I only saw two small places where there may or may not be art in the original. Bottom left column on page 151 and the bottom of page 221. Thanks for fixing this for us Apple folks!
Jim

It looks marvelous. I scrolled thru the whole thing and I can see art! Yippee. I only saw two small places where there may or may not be art in the original. Bottom left column on page 151 and the bottom of page 221. Thanks for fixing this for us Apple folks!
Jim
Those two pages are art free in the Windows world as well.
This update should also have all the changes from the Feedback thread up to and including the fixed black hole diameter.

There are a few things that would be nice as downloadable supplements, i.e. not part of the book but as downloadable pdfs.
Such as a flow chart for the procedure for each part of the system creation with referenced page numbers.
Separate blank world forms for fixed hex size for world sizes S-F.
Standard icons etc.

All of that is icing on the cake, you should be very proud of yourself Geir - I have just had a chance to sit down and read it, and it is a wonderful thing.

Incidentally, we would be interested to hear from any Mac/iOS players as to how the graphics appear as we made some more tweaks on that side too...

I'm happy to report that most of the PDF's images are now working flawlessly! There are some that are still misbehaving, though; that I can spot right now are the Star Class spheres on the image of page 19, they aren't showing up on my iOS 16 iphone. Similarly, the little yellow balls on the Barycentre diagram on page 23 are not showing up. Same thing for the planets on the illustration on page 51.

That said, the ship-over-planet on page 57 that didn't work before is now rendering properly!

The ones that don't seem to work all seem to share the same thing in common, namely 'being an element overlaid over a background'. Hopefully that might help you guys trace down what the origin of the issue might be.

There are a few things that would be nice as downloadable supplements, i.e. not part of the book but as downloadable pdfs.
Such as a flow chart for the procedure for each part of the system creation with referenced page numbers.
Separate blank world forms for fixed hex size for world sizes S-F.
Standard icons etc.

All of that is icing on the cake, you should be very proud of yourself Geir - I have just had a chance to sit down and read it, and it is a wonderful thing.
I'm glad you liked it.
I tried to get the different sized world hex maps included in the Sector Construction Guide box, but apparently not practical. Neither were the stencils and coloured pencils I wanted. Oh well.

I made varying map sizes sheets some in Visio years ago, but don't currently have a license. And pretty sure copying them straight out of T5 Book 3 would violate a copywrite or two for anything other than personal use by someone who paid for the product. Been playing with drawio, and though it's a little clunky, it is free. Hex maps might require some frustrating tricks, but flow charts would be easier. Something to think about after I finish my current albatross. I assume by standard icons you mean icons for hex maps?

I'm glad you liked it.
I tried to get the different sized world hex maps included in the Sector Construction Guide box, but apparently not practical. Neither were the stencils and coloured pencils I wanted. Oh well.

I made varying map sizes sheets some in Visio years ago, but don't currently have a license. And pretty sure copying them straight out of T5 Book 3 would violate a copywrite or two for anything other than personal use by someone who paid for the product. Been playing with drawio, and though it's a little clunky, it is free. Hex maps might require some frustrating tricks, but flow charts would be easier. Something to think about after I finish my current albatross. I assume by standard icons you mean icons for hex maps?
I can do the hex maps in Inkscape if you want. Yes icons/symbols for standard items. I can do them but it is best if they come from/are defined by an official source.

Incidentally, we would be interested to hear from any Mac/iOS players as to how the graphics appear as we made some more tweaks on that side too...
Indeed, most graphics show fine but can confirm what @GabrielGABFonseca wrote:
There are some that are still misbehaving, though; that I can spot right now are the Star Class spheres on the image of page 19, they aren't showing up on my iOS 16 iphone. Similarly, the little yellow balls on the Barycentre diagram on page 23 are not showing up. Same thing for the planets on the illustration on page 51.
Extracting the raw image files shows that most JPEG2000 files in the document now reference an sRGB colourspace, but some CMYK referring JPEG2000s remain nonetheless (the ones that don't show). EXIF comparison between cover image (showing) and the brownish 2,400-3,700K sphere image on page 19 (not showing):

File Type:
JPX
File Type Extension:
jpx
MIME Type:
image/jpx
---- Jpeg2000 ----
Major Brand:
JPEG 2000 with extensions (.JPX)
Minor Version:
Compatible Brands:
jpx , jp2
Image Height:
Image Width:
Number Of Components:
Bits Per Component:
8 Bits, Unsigned
Compression:
JPEG 2000
Color Spec Method:
Enumerated
Color Spec Precedence:
Color Spec Approximation:
Accurate
Color Space:
sRGB
File Type:
JPX
File Type Extension:
jpx
MIME Type:
image/jpx
---- Jpeg2000 ----
Major Brand:
JPEG 2000 with extensions (.JPX)
Minor Version:
Compatible Brands:
jpx
Image Height:
Image Width:
Number Of Components:
Bits Per Component:
8 Bits, Unsigned
Compression:
JPEG 2000
Color Spec Method:
Enumerated
Color Spec Precedence:
Color Spec Approximation:
Accurate
Color Space:
CMYK

Question about Final Age formulas on page 22. My math skills are terrible so any help is appreciated. The first box text shows:

Star Final Age = Main Sequence Lifespan + Subgiant Lifespan+ Giant Lifespan

The next text box at the shows the full formula, but the Main Sequence is multiplied by the sum of the other two. What am I missing? Can an example for Main sequence stars with D companions be added to this section? I am also still trying to figure out age, temps and luminosities for white dwarfs. Expanded example might help.

So the second formula, the 10/Mass^(2.5), is in effect the numerator for all three of the age components. So it is equivalent to multiplying it by the three components where the numerator is 1 (and Main sequence is 1/1 so you're not multiplying by the sum of the others but by 1 + the sum of the others). The mass to use throughout is the D3+2 X Dead Star Mass.

This is used in the example on page 30 to determine how old the white dwarf was when it became a white dwarf - 4.635 billion years in the example case. The actual age of the system, as determined by the primary star is 6.336, so the difference is 1.701. This difference becomes the 'age' of the white dwarf, in other words the amount of time it has had to cool down, the effects of which are based on the White Dwarf Aging table on page 227.

Yeah, okay, I can see how that's confusing. The basic assumption is that in using the Special column on the Star Type Determination table (page 15) you're not going to get a white dwarf as a primary star, so the primary star, being the most massive star (at the current time - maybe not before the white dwarf was a white dwarf...) anyway, the primary star determines system age. There's a loop-back (reverse engineering method) on page 29 in the section called System Age Adjustment suggests aging the system because of the presence of a white dwarf, to account for it being there, if it shouldn't be there because the system is too young for it. Yeah. Pretty sure that's it.

All this didn't break my spreadsheet, but I suspect it actually requires some manual tuning in some cases and I just didn't trap for it or notice it. Be interesting to see if programmatically it causes issues that require human (or clever coding) intervention.

I looked at the example on page 30, but am still confused about how to determine the age of a white dwarf. The example seems to use the formula which determines the total age of the main + sub + giant sequences. The table on page 23 implies the age of the white dwarf phase is based on the Small Star Age formula. The table then shows that both are added together to get the full age of the white dwarf. The page 30 example appears to use a different method to generate the white dwarf age rather than that listed on the page 23 table.

To confuse things further, my own creation is a main sequence primary that is younger than its companion white dwarf (using the procedures listed on the page 23 table). My primary is a F3V (1.38 mass; 6900 temp; 1.39 diameter) with a D companion (0.58 mass).

I do apologize for my continuing ignorance of math and physics. I almost have the concepts down, but the text might need a little more clarification to smooth the learning curve. Thank you for the help so far.

The thing with a white dwarf is that it's a stellar remnant. As part of its dying process, mostly during the late giant phase (although technically throughout its life via fusion) it looses mass. At the end of its giant phase, it briefly becomes a planetary nebula as the hot newly formed (or exposed) white dwarf heats the layers of gas that it's shed. The original mass of the white dwarf is 3-5 (that's the 2+D3 amount) times the mass it has by the time it becomes a white dwarf, so that white dwarf of 0.58 sol was once 1.79 - 2.9 sol. A star of this size would always use the main sequence lifespan formula on page 20 for large stars - really any white dwarf should, though a very small and rare amount might have had progenitors that where both less than 0.9 sols and still younger than the age of the universe. And these would use the 'star final age' (perhaps a poor choice of terms) on page 22. Really the age at which the original star died and became a white dwarf..

Since that original mass is more than the mass of the primary star in your example, it makes sense that it would have become a white dwarf while the primary is still in the main sequence. I'm not going to show my work (spreadsheet scrawl), but for 3x, 4x, or 5x the white dwarf mass, which is 1.74, 2.32 or 2.9 Sol, gives a range of Star Final Age answers from 0.802 to 2.988 billion years. That's how long it took for the star to become a white dwarf. Rolling 2+D3, the only three answers are 0.802, 1.423 and 2.988, but consider 0.802-2.988 a range, if you want to.

The large star formula for your 1.38 sol F3V has a range of results up to 4.4699 billion years. As long as the age determined by the primary, (which is greater than the time it took the white dwarf to come into existence, then you're good. If the system is younger than say, 0.802 billion, then you should increase it to an older age, limited by the main sequence lifespan of the F3 (4.4699-ish). So even if the original star was only 3x times the size of the white dwarf, any age between 2.988 and 4.4699 billion years, you need do nothing further, except subtracting the final star age of the deceased star, now a white dwarf, from system age and that would be the age of the white dwarf, as in how long it's been a white dwarf.

Hope this helps - probably shouldn't be multitasking while typing the response, but that's they way my Thursday is going.

Sorry for the delay in getting back to this, but life has been busy.

I am still having trouble with formulas and how to get to the solution. I have a White Dwarf - age 0.455gyr and mass of 0.58 - how do I determine the temperature? The example on page 30 describes linear estimation, but where did the example numbers such as -.201 come from? I guess I need a better description of how linear estimation works.

I came up with 19,675 (and 19,019 if I multiply by mass and divide by 0.6). It seems far off what it should be based on the page 227 table.

In the example, based on a white dwarf whose age is 1.701 billion years, the temperature is between 7000 (the 1.5 billion value) and 5500 (the 2.1 billion year level). The difference between those two numbers is 1500. The actual age is .201 billion beyond 1.5 (or 0.799 more than 2.5) since this is a billion year period, you can either multiple .201 x 1 and then multiply by 1.5 and subtract that number from the higher temperature - that's the -.201 x 1500 +7000 - it could also be 7000 - 0.201 x 1500 - same answer) or you can multiply .701 by 1 and add it to 5000. Also same answer of 6699.

Now I think you caught me at an edit gap here, (which sucks, because I just said the book was good to print) because I stopped there and did not do another step which I detail on page 227, which is to adjust the temperature for mass, and that would be - in the example - 0.49 /0.6 or 0.817 so the temperature in the example ought to be a final value of 5471. Hardly matters because the luminosity is so low as a potion of the binary, but that was missed. :(

In your example, the white dwarf is 0.455 billion years old, which is fairly close to 0.5, but to be precise, it is 0.5-0.455 or 0.045 short of 0.5. Since the two values on the table on page 227 are for 0.1 and 0.5 billion years, the difference between those ages is 0.4 billion, and the difference between the temperatures is 25000-10000 or 15000, so we can say that it is 0.045 billion / 0.4 billion = 0.1125 x 15000 (the difference in temperatures) = 1687.5 above the value at 10000, which is 11687.5 (yes, that's backwards from the example, it would also work by taking 25000 - 0.8875 x 15000 = 11687.5 { with 0.8875 being = 1 - 0.1125} ). So including the mass differential we have 11687.5 x 0.58 /0.6 = 11297.9 or ~11,300.

(And yeah, I tried to do this today with the iPhone calculator app, failed to get consistent results, and had to dig out Excel to use as a scratch pad to make sure it was right - coffee must be defective)

Back