Pre-Abiding Book Grimoires

PhilHibbs

Mongoose
I think it says in COG that all the Malkioni orders' grimoires are derived from The Abiding Book. Yet, there was much powerful sorcery around prior to the AB. Was this sorcery substantially different from the grimoires that we know today? Arkat's sorcery, for instance, pre-dates the AB by a long way, so would Stygian sorcery be fundamentally different from Malkioni sorcery?

PhilHibbs said:
I think it says in COG that all the Malkioni orders' grimoires are derived from The Abiding Book. Yet, there was much powerful sorcery around prior to the AB. Was this sorcery substantially different from the grimoires that we know today? Arkat's sorcery, for instance, pre-dates the AB by a long way, so would Stygian sorcery be fundamentally different from Malkioni sorcery?

It is an interesting question. There is no doubt that sorcery existed before The Abiding Book (which appeared rather late on in 646). In The Middle Sea Empire we read that sorcerers prepared spells when the book appeared and the glowing finger wrote it. It does have a couple of paragraphs on pre Abiding Book sorcery wrt heroquesting. It appears a few sorcerers could travel to the sorcery plane and a few grimoire nodes - but it seems the spiritual leaders were far more important in those days.

The Mostali and Brithini have had sorcery for a long, long time and the Brithini probably gifted it to the Seshnegi who later colonised Jrustela.

I'd posit that the Abiding Book codified into one place many, many spells that existed in disparate grimoires as well as offering some new ones.

A lot of it is probably a case of New Sorcery, Same as the Old Sorcery. Like, Halal is the rules in the Koran, although it's pretty much the same as the old Kosher rules.

Isn't the Blue Book of Zzabur basically "the Abiding Book" for The Olden Days? As Zzabur is the first sorcerer, I suppose?

Back