Playtest Rules 1.1 - Vree

Everyman

Mongoose
I like the concept of the new special action but it really needs a CQ check or to be limited by size of the Vree ship in some manner.

Otherwise, I can see Vree patrol ships de-crewing low crew ships like blue stars in patrol games with no effort at all.

Court Jester said:
As I read the special action I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if a thousand ISA players all cried out at once...

:lol: Excellent!

Granted, I think it might need to be tweaked, but I like the concept of the rule in principle. Besides, if an ISA player allows his ships to get within 2" of the Vree they deserve to be "probed" by the Vree... ;-)

Cheers, Gary

skavendan said:
Lord David the Denied said:
Court Jester said:
As I read the special action I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if a thousand ISA players all cried out at once...

Yeah, I hope so. I hate ISA players... :evil: :wink:

I second that vote lol

i'll third it, not so much because i hate them, i just like any advantage the Vree can get on anyone. :D

silashand said:
Court Jester said:

:lol: Excellent!

Granted, I think it might need to be tweaked, but I like the concept of the rule in principle. Besides, if an ISA player allows his ships to get within 2" of the Vree they deserve to be "probed" by the Vree... ;-)

Cheers, Gary

That will give BS commanders a second thought before they decide to skin dance around a vree ship.

I think this is ideal for the Vree. They can spend a lot of time dancing around outside everyone else's range while smashing them with long range and devastating antimatter weapons- this gives them incentive to get in close, where secondary weapons can just murder those thin skinned little tin cans. But if they beat the risk and DO pull it off and probe an unlucky ship, then honor and victory points to the Vree. So two very big thumbs up on this special action.

Possibly workable. I do have some questions, and a few involve balance.

Does Dodge apply to reduce damage?
Does Adaptive?
Does GEG?
Does Close Blast Doors?

I would think the answer to all of the above is No. And that's a problem.

I would also suggest that hordes of Xaar would then become hideous. This is a ship that we already have problems with, so this certainly doesn't help. I would suggest establishing a maximum crew damage you can do by PL:

Patrol: 1
Skirmish: 2
Raid: 4
Battle and Above: Full Die.

Xaars can use this Automatic order to exterminate Bluestars wholesale, and get extra VP for it. That's a problem.

well people did complain about bluestars ;)
but seriously you are right, I think this needs to be on a PL basis much as the shadow scream is.
Patrol/skirmish - 1 crew casualty
Raid -2 crew
Battle - 1d6
war -2d6

slightly better i know but then they also have to get within 2"

The question is, does dodge work against it? If so then I see no reason to change the existing rule really as most Blue Stars, etc. will just dodge away from the Vree ship. If dodge *doesn't* work vs it, then yes, it needs to be limited a little more I think. JMO...

Great idea in principle though. Makes me want to do a Vree fleet just because ;-).

Cheers, Gary

Well right now RAW dodge doesn't work against it...its a SA extracts crew there is no "hitting" going on as far as i can tell, no roll to hit is required by the SA only a roll to automatically remove crew.

Personally I think this should be on adrift or at least a -4 spd crit. Using the Blue Star as an example how would these things lock on to extract crew when they are targeting the fastest ships in the Galaxy?

I thought these were suppose to be cool extras races could do or fill in fleet weakness (which the Vree do not currently need IMO), not something that gives them a near instant win against races with low crew counts.

For those that said whoever gets a BS within 2" deserves to lose crew, remember the Xaar patrol boat can do this too and it has 6" of SM if it needs it. So a BS has to be over 8" away at end of movement from one of these and it has an 8" gun which means a BS is now worthless against the Vree and most other races will have to fear swarms of Xaar eradicating crew as well.

I would be fine with an adjusted crew loss like others have mentioned as it is now because of the Xaar alone its too powerful.

The boarding restrictions could work... moved less than half you speed for the turn?

I would let dodge at least affect it... and frankly adaptive T could see as the ship tries to compensate for the beam. CBD is harder... but I know I can't get cell reception in a big steel box store so maybe...=)

Ripple

silashand said:
The question is, does dodge work against it? If so then I see no reason to change the existing rule really as most Blue Stars, etc. will just dodge away from the Vree ship. If dodge *doesn't* work vs it, then yes, it needs to be limited a little more I think. JMO...

Great idea in principle though. Makes me want to do a Vree fleet just because ;-).

Cheers, Gary

Gotta look at Adaptive Armour, GEG, and other defensive measures, not only dodge. By the way can someone explain what exactly this SA consist of? Vree "teleporting" themselves or victims around? It would be silly to allow Vree to board the victims since there are already restrictions on boarding actions.

Or do we say this is a mystery just like not being able to perform CAF and Come About, at the same time... (The crew responsible for plotting firing solutions and tracking targets, are too busy running from one side of a ship to another to make it turn faster )

If high priority ships could be allowed to perform more then one special action a turn, maybe they would be more playable. But that is just MHO

Well, I tried out my Vree this night and I can say quite easily that this special action should only work on adrift and immobilized type targets. It should NOT work against moving targets!

I did just fine against the reduced strength ISA and I don't need more help.

People have been wondering what to give Early EA for PnP, how about a response to the Vree SA? After all, the memory of "Greys" abducting humans would still be fresh. Maybe a, "You ain't sticking that thing up my A**!" SA.

Back