Piracy: Response time table.

Mawdrigen

Mongoose
Currently I am running it like this:

The Players start shooting/or make the target so suspicious they call for help is when the response timer starts running. This occurs whether the players have jammed the target comms or not (more on that later).

I then roll on the response table.

This is where my problem comes in. What do the "response times" actually mean. Currently we are running it as this is the time it takes for the responding ship to hit distant range from the altercation (meaning they then start applying 50 thrust to move to V Long etc etc). When they are coming from the planet I can usually work out the response times easily, but things like the rolled response times sometimes end up with response times Longer than this. I suppose this could be getting the crew on board/readyness.

Other problem is the ranges of sensors. Very few push out to distant/vlong so how does the response find them.

Currently the response is "a ship" although I am planning on making my own responding ship table, with modifiers for if they received a detailed distress call or just heard jamming noise.

I would put the response time as the time it takes to get into sensor or weapons range.

I haven't run this yet.

Another option would be to have response time be the Intercept Time. That is, the time to reach the vessel screaming for help. This would put the responding ship in Sensor/Weapons range a lot sooner than the other method.

I guess it really depends on how long you, as the Referee, want to give the PCs to strip the ship.

Mawdrigen said:
Other problem is the ranges of sensors. Very few push out to distant/vlong so how does the response find them.
Both visual and thermal sensors are 'minimal' at 50,000 km +. 50,000 km + does not give an upper range limit. 'Minimal' visual and thermal can be enough to locate the ships but not provide details. Or perhaps you could say a response comes based on the last transponder location provided or location communicated by the ship in trouble.

That could certainly work. I'm somewhat worried that at the moment the response time to distant system will give them FAR too long.

Response time to start of attack may well work better! Thanks!

Also I didn't spot visual and therm sensors... duh, I assume they come with every sensor package?

Back