Paper, binding, and illustrations for CE Lone Wolf books?

Lone Wolf

Mongoose
Using high quality paper and hardbound for durability, this Collector's Edition of the first Lone Wolf gamebook marks the return of the last Kai Lord.

I've seen a photo of one of these and the binding looks like the current binding of the Conan 2nd Edition RPG Core Rules (current rounded hardcover style not the earlier square style that had problems)

If you order now, will all of them have rounded spines now (including 1-5)? What about all the future CEs of the 32 books?

My Conan books(main book and bestiary) appears to have either sewn binding, or at least leaves glued to the spine. This is better than paperback binding because rather than just having individual pages stacked up and glued into the spine you have leaves folded into each-other and glued or even better sewn to the spine. Which is it?

1. individual pages glued?
2. leaves folded together and glued to spine?
3. leaves folded together and sewn to spine?

What about the paper-quality? What do they mean by "high quality"?

Will all 32 books use the same quality paper and binding?

Lastly, are these books illustrated and if so by whom? Are there any samples of these illustrations? (The old books had illustrations throughout)

Lone Wolf said:
What about the paper-quality? What do they mean by "high quality"?
I can say for myself that the paper is way much better than the cheap, brownish one that was used in the last few books of the series in its French version.

Lastly, are these books illustrated and if so by whom? Are there any samples of these illustrations? (The old books had illustrations throughout)
There are a bunch of guys who made the illustrations for the books. Richard Longmore did the ones for books 1 to 12, then Nathan Furman did the one in book 13, and finally Pascal Quidault will take over with book 14 and beyond.

There are also illustrations in each bonus adventures of the new edition. Nathan Furman did the ones for books 2 to 11 (there was no bonus adventure in book 1) and then Richard Longmore did the ones for books 12 and 13. From what I understand, Pascal Quidault will also do the illustrations of the bonus adventures in the next books, starting with the one in book 14.

As for the covers, Alberto Dallago did the first 12 ones. Pascal Quidault took over with book 13 and will do the rest. However, the cover of book 29 was leaked and it was made by Nathan Furman: http://www.librogame.altervista.org/newsesterne/cover29.htm

Sadly, Nathan Furman's blog was unexpectedly closed shortly before we learn that Quidault took over as the main illustrator of the series. As for Richard Longmore, he had some art posted on the web from the LW series, but I can't find it anymore. However, Quidault has a blog in which he presents sneak peaks of his work on the series: http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/2531/lonewolf.jpg (this is a preview of the interior art for book 14).

BC, that cover link goes nowhere. There's a redirect to a blank page.

LW, the pages in the CE books are folded and glued. The headband appears to be random. I have blue-and-white, white, black, and tan. Print errors aside, the binding is really quite good, and all of my covers have been dent free, and corners sharp.

I think by "high-quality paper" they refer to the fact it's not standard paperback paper in a hardback format. The pages are bright and white, and not likely to yellow much at all due to age.

Overall, as a collector, I've been quite pleased with what I've gotten. The interior art--no matter who it is by--is very well-done.

Impressive covers & interiors! Sounds like the binding is like the later printings of conan which is fine by me!

lonewolf.jpg

At least the picture of Kaag's gate looks good! The others are good too.

I have to say that I have been rather unimpressed with the drawings of the cities in the republished books so far. I know it's all personal taste, but the old books lent an air of grandeur to cities like Morgaruith, Torgar, Kaag and so on. The new ones all look the same and there is nothing that you can look at and go "oh yes, this is Torgar" for instance.

I hope they improve, but it is all personal taste in the end.

By large though, the pictures which are not of cities are all pretty good.

Back