Old school Lone Wolf Mini's

GJD

Mongoose
Here are some images of the old GW Lone Wolf figures, whils we wait the the shiny new ones.

These figures are over 20 years old, and have seen a lot of use in that time. The paint jobs are pretty poor (what there are of them) but I was only 12 when I first painted them. The goop on Banedons hands if from yellow cotton wool that I glued on for a 'magic' effect...

I'm not sure that three of them are actually from the LW range (Wolfhead, Morninstar and Twoswords) but they were all in the same box, and are all labelled GW 1984. If you know anything about them, I'd be interested to hear.

If anybody knows of a way to remove 20 year old paint without damaging the mini's I might have a go at re-painting them...

G.

http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/gavindady/album?.dir=/1a4e&.src=ph

There are some mild paint solvents that are metal firendly available at any local hardware store. I suggest taking a miniature into the store and explaining that these are lead figurines. The sales help should be able to direct you to the most appropriate solvent.

Take care, and good luck!

-A

Nice pics. I like your Helghast.

If only I could find the last few to complete my collection...

All of the LW minis can be seen here: http://www.solegends.com/lonewolf/index.htm

Interesting. The above link list it as a helghast, but the actual miniature has Drakaarim on the base...

G.

GJD ; "Wolfhead", "Morningstar" and twoswords" are not LW minis. The Citadel LW range was divided in two parts :

- The C-41 serie : 11 miniatures that were sold individually : Lone Wolf, Banedon, Vonotar, two noodnics, a drakkarim, a vordak (described as a helghast in the old Citadel catalogue), A guard from Holmgard, A guard officier, a bandit and a giak.

- The LW-1 boxed set which was designed to play the battle at the bridge in the first gaming book with the first edition of the Warhammer rules set. It was including five or six giaks, a gourgaz and Prince Pelethar himself (one of the most beautiful knight ever designed by GW by the way.)

All these minis have been sculpted by the Perry twin in 1984. They are very rare now and their price can go high on ebay : about 10 or 12£ per mini for the C-41, less for the boxed set, depending of its condition. It's nearly impossible to find Prince Pelethar with his lance not broken. I own all the C-41 (that are waiting for paint on my desk...) but I still miss the LW1 boxed set.

The descriptions in the catalogues are not always correct or are badly spelled ; but all the minis have been sculpted on the basis of Gary Chalk's pictures for the two first gaming books so it is easy to know what is what. The drakkarim you have is really a drakkarim.

I vaguely recall that there was a contradiction between descriptions of this figure, but whether from the packaging, the catalogue or the base of the figure I can't remember.

The Lone Wolf newsletter #4 lists it as a Helghast. The hand pulling back the hood and the position of the sword lead me to believe it is based on the Drakkarim illustration from section 246 on FftD. However it could easily be a Helghast pictured in sections 69 and 134 of FotW.

Personally, mine was painted as a Helghast.

One of the boxed sets is going on eBay right now as a matter of fact, except the Gourgaz' axe is missing.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5906448172&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

I vaguely recall that there was a contradiction between descriptions of this figure, but whether from the packaging, the catalogue or the base of the figure I can't remember.

The descirptions given on the bases are correct. The catalogues and newsletter were wrong ("noodnic" was also badly spelled IIRC.)

The Lone Wolf newsletter #4 lists it as a Helghast. The hand pulling back the hood and the position of the sword lead me to believe it is based on the Drakkarim illustration from section 246 on FftD.

I really guess it is - look at the left hand.
But it doesn't matter really much anyway.

One of the boxed sets is going on eBay right now as a matter of fact, except the Gourgaz' axe is missing.

Murphy says : "Prince Pelethar's lance is broken ; if not, Gourgaz's axe is missing."

This boxed set is cursed.

Anonymous said:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5906448172&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

It still fetched a pretty price! £39! That's close to $100 Canadian!

Back