OGL Steampunk Amazing Machines Special Features

TheAuldGrump

Mongoose
Finally transferred the special qualities I have been working on for Amazing Pesonal Weapons, Vehicles, and Vehicle & Artillery Weapons from pencil written notes to a more legible medium. I am looking for comments in regards to the Skills and Costs in particular.

Additional Qualities for Amazing Machines

Weapon Mounting - Sponson (Automata, Structure, Vehicle)
Description: Essentially a limited mobility turret a sponson allows a weapon to fire to the front and to the sides in a 90 degree arc. When used in a pair, as is typical, both sponsons may fire their weapons at a target directly ahead. Rear facing sponsons are also possible, and may fire to the rear rather than to the front of the machine.
Skills: Craft (mechanical) +1
Costs 4 CP, 1 HS

Area Fire (Vehicle and Artillery Weapon)
Description: Rather than selecting a single target the user selects an area determined by the weapons size on the chart below. Because of the relatively small size of the ammunition the weapon does normal rather than structural damage. Creatures within that area must make a Reflex save (DC 15) or take damage. Objects within the area take the weapon's normal damage, subtracting the object's hardness as usual. Because of the cumbersome nature of the weapon it may not fire at a single target.
See Rules for Targeting an Area below.
Skills Craft (mechanical) +2
Costs: 8 CP, 2 HS

Area Fire Range and Damage Table
Size / Range increment/ Damage/ Area
Medium /50 ft. /1d10/ 10 ft. x 10 ft.
Large /70 ft. /1d12 / 10 ft. x 15 ft.
Huge /100 ft /2d8 / 10 ft. X 20 ft.
Gargantuan /140 ft. /2d10/ 20 ft. x 20 ft or 10 ft. x 30 ft.
Colossal /190 ft. /2d12/ 20 ft. x 30 ft. or 10 ft. x 40 ft.
Leviathan /250 ft. /3d10/ 20 ft x 40 ft. or 10 ft. x 50 ft.
A revolving or turret mounted weapon can have the axis of the target are be either parallel to the weapon or perpendicular. A boresight weapon can only place the axis parallel and directly in line with the front of the weapon.

Artillery Fire (Vehicle and Artillery Weapon)
Requirements: Long Range Fire.
The weapon is designed for long range and indirect fire.
Description: An Artillery Fire weapon gains four additional Range Increments, but is unable to fire within the first four range increments.
If an Artillery Fire weapon is also a either an Area Fire or Heavy Artillery weapon it may fire indirectly (at a -4 circumstance penalty) at a target of size Large or greater or at an area even if the target may not be seen from the weapon’s location as long as a forward observer can succeed at a Knowledge (tactics) check at DC 15. Failure in this check prevents the weapon from firing, failing the check by 5 or more results in the weapon firing and the shot going wild, landing 10 times the number of range increments away in a random direction. See the rules for Targeting an Area below.
Skills Craft (mechanical) +2
Costs 2 CP, 2 HS

Automatic Fire (Personal Weapon)
Requirements: Ranged Attack, Two-Handed Use
The weapon covers an area with its attack.
Description: Rather than selecting a single target the user selects a 10 ft. by 10 ft. area. Creatures within that area must make a Reflex save (DC 15) or take the weapon's normal damage. Objects within the area have a 50% chance of taking the weapon's normal damage, subtracting the oject's hardness as usual. Because of the cumbersome nature of the weapon it may not fire at a single target.
See Rules for Targeting an Area below.
Skills: Craft (Mechanical +2
Costs: 6 CP, 2 HS, 5 charges

Automatic Weapon Range and Damage Table
Size / Range increment/ Damage
Small /30 ft. /1d8
Medium /50 ft. /1d10
Large /70 ft. /1d12
Huge /100 ft /2d8
Gargantuan /140 ft. /2d10
Colossal /190 ft. /2d12
Leviathan /250 ft. /3d10

Heavy Artillery (Vehicle and Artillery Weapon)
Requirements: Artillery Fire
Description: Similar to Area Fire, rather than selecting a single target the user selects an area determined by the weapons size on the chart below. Like most Vehicle and Artillery Weapons a Heavy Artillery weapon does Structural rather than normal damage. Damage is determined by the weapons size as normal. Creatures within that area take damage, a Reflex Save (DC15) may be made for half damage. Objects within the area take the weapon's normal damage, subtracting the object's hardness as usual. Because this is the result of an explosive shell, or area energy effect the weapon cannot single out one target in the area.
Skills Craft (mechanical) +1
Costs: 8 CP, 2 HS

Heavy Artillery Blast Area
Area Covered
Medium 10 ft. x 10 ft
Large 15 ft. x 15. ft.
Huge 20 ft. x 20 ft.
Gargantuan 25 ft. x 25 ft.
Colossal 30 ft. x 30 ft.
Leviathan 35 ft. x 35 ft.

Targeting an Area
Some weapons allow for targeting an area rather than a single creature or object. The base DC for this attack is 10 plus the range modifier.
In some instances the shot may go wild, in which case the direction the shot travels is determined randomly with a d8. 1 means that the shot passes directly overhead in the direction fired, 2 is ahead and to the right, 3 is to the right, 4 is behind and to the right, 5 is directly behind the intended area, 6 is behind and to the left, 7 is directly to the left, and 8 is ahead and to the left.

The Auld Grump

*EDIT* Reduced HS cost of Weapons Mounting - Sponson to 1. It is not as effective as a turret, and like a turret is largely external to the bulk of the vehicle. So, why should it cost more? (The only reason I can think of is that I originally had them as pairs only.) Neatened things up a wee bit while I was at it.

And two more:

Production Model (any except Structure)
The machine is widely available.
Description: The purchase price for amazing machines in the OGL Steampunk rules assumes that the machine is a prototype. For machines turned out in greater numbers from factories rather than workshops the price is considerably less. Only the Games Master can determine what machines are available as Production Models.
Costs: The Purchase DC of a Production Model is equal to the CP divided by 3 rather than CP times 2.5 as normal.

Military Surplus (any except Structure)
A bit rough in handling, but still runs...
Description: The military sometimes sells off older or heavily used equipment. Due to the rough handling the machine has recieved all Malfunction Thresholds are increased by one. Only the Games Master can determine what is available through Military Surplus.
Costs: The Purchase DC of Military Surplus is equal to the CP divided by 3.5 rather than 2.5. This Purchase DC includes the discount for a Production Model, if for some reason they are purchasing a surplus military prototype the Purchase DC equals the CP divided by 3 rather than 3.5.

The Auld Grump

*EDIT* Cutting and pasting to a forum from a word processor does weird things to the format...

*EDIT 2* Furshluginer math mistake...

And what I suspect is the last:
Internal Bracing (Vehicle or Structure)
The machine is heavily braced inside.
Description: Internal bracing increases the size of the structure die by one at a cost to available space. This feature may be purchased multiple times each time increasing the structure die type by 1 to a maximum of d10, increasing the CP and HS cost but not the knowlege roll neccesary.
Skills: Knowlege (sructural) +2
Cost: CP 2, HS 1

Has anyone else tried these out? The problem with testing something out myself is that of course it looks good to me, I wrote it! I have used them, but what do other folks think?

I may need to reword this last one a bit, I am copying it directly off of a Burger King tray liner...

The Auld Grump

Back