Office Campaign - Kreplakistan update

Lorcan Nagle said:
Hiromoon said:
Wow....and to think I was just comming up with something for this one:

RoughneckGirReportingTest.jpg

Shouldn't his eyes be red if he's actually doing his job?

This has made my day! :p :lol: :lol: if this was a real news boardcast you would not be able to get me away from the TV

Santa: And what do you want little boy or girl?
GIR: I wants me a barrel of floss, I wants me two balls of glue TO BE MY FRIENDS! And I wants to go dancin' NAKED! And I wants...
[Time passes; Santa looks extremely annoyed.]
GIR: ...and a chair made-a cheese, and a table made-a cheese, and a...
Santa: Ugh! No more! Get this kid away from me!

Well, Kristovich is in a mobile studio while Roughneck Gir lives up to the Gir name and reports from the field (I'll make a variety of armored Gir figures for different screens).

Hiromoon said:
Well, Kristovich is in a mobile studio while Roughneck Gir lives up to the Gir name and reports from the field (I'll make a variety of armored Gir figures for different screens).

Sure as...
Hey!

I won't be beaten by a robot! Hand me a flack jacket! I'm goin out there for real! :lol:

I think that Mongoose will have to produce rules/figures for news teams at some point! To take as hos.... Erm, that is to shoo...... I mean to report on the latest news from the frontline, obviously! :lol:

Actually, if you think of it that could make for some -very- interesting missions. Hostage rescue, things like that, situations where you end up having to be very careful with your targets and your Fire Zones.

Exactly :D

Hostage rescue, civilians in the line of fire, put a sticker under the base of one civilian model to hide a spy in the crowd, hold back the rioters, armed civilian uprising, and all kinds of other nifty options opening up :D

And, SAS in black counter-terror kit! Need rules for MP5s and CQB kit, but it'd make for some great scenarios.

Imagine inserting an SAS team in counter-terror kit into an enemy-held building while enemy guerrillas attempt to stop them...

Well HRT tactics differ a lot from the usual two squad facing of on the battlefield.
For an HRT scenario each soldier would have to be considered an individual.
I dont think that a platoon level ruleset could actualy depict HRT actions right.

Probably not, but once the basic ruleset is set up, there would be an opportunity to expand it for missions like that. Not necessarily a complete reworking, just add-on rules to create a bit more detail and complexity.

Hi rick its alan calling, i`m already playing around with Battlfield rules for one to one attacks, i think i have sorted the weapons out, just looking at adding a "shooting skill" skill....
I will post or add my thoughts when the game comes out, a little like gamgs of mega i guess...
Anyway back to the war..!!!

Actually, Vor had a pretty nice ruleset for that. I can't remember exactly how it went now, but basicaly you would state before the game started whether or not you were using "unit activation" or "individual activation". For larger games the unit activation was great. It was like a standard wargame where every one in the squad essentially does the same thing at the same time. Individual was good for smaller one/two squad type games. You essentialy treated each model like he was his own unit. Command/Coherency/and moral still applies, but each soldier can choose his own actions. It worked really well. If Lt. Raczak sees this he could probably explain it better.

msprange said:
I had better things planned for the Air phase, but suddenly twigged just how _much_ anti-aircraft fire the PLA possessed. The Typhoon II rocketed across the battlefield like a bat out of hell, desperately trying to outpace any return fire. It succeeded and released two 1,000 lb. JDAMs. The first bounced off the Type 99 (to all intents and purposes, anyway) and the second destroyed a building houses the PLA's elite spec ops squad - most died. This was the highlight of the entire battle. . .

This caught my attention...
A fighter does not have to 'rocket across the battlefield' to employ JDAMs. More accurately, a JDAM cannot even be employed while rocketing across the battlefield...they are employed from medium altitude (15k+, typically in the 20-30k range) well out of reach of any man portable threat. What makes me the authority? I've employed them...as in dropped them from the aircraft that I was piloting, in the real world. (Not bragging, just establishing credibility, accepting the fact that it could be viewed as the former.)

I just want to point out that low altitude tactics went the way of the DoDo in the opening days of Op DESERT STORM. Advances in antiaircraft weapons have driven us to fly higher...the advances in PGMs (LGBs, JDAM, SDB, etc) allow a pilot to employ precisely with the luxury of maximum standoff. As such, fighters today can orbit directly over a target that is protected only by MANPADs and light AAA and operate with impunity. No joker on the ground is going to be given the opportunity to shoot his rifle at a fighter anymore.

I now there are exceptions...one A-10 took AAA hits in 03 and another was downed while operating at low altitude. Some countries (the Brits come to mind) still love to rage at 100' AGL and below, and I've flown more than my fair share of lowat sorties...just in case. So, it could happen and we are prepared for it. But...will the game allow for proper med alt tactics that nullifies the majority of the AAA/SAM/MANPAD threat?

Now, I do realize it's a game and playability is foremost. But if the game is supposed to model 'near-future war,' it should also accurately reflect the tactics used. Of course, if the game allows for 'off the board' air defense, cool.

Now, I do realize it's a game and playability is foremost. But if the game is supposed to model 'near-future war,' it should also accurately reflect the tactics used. Of course, if the game allows for 'off the board' air defense, cool.

Hit the nail right on the head there. Most arty (including SAM's) have a ludicrously long range when you're talking about wargames, so the only way to effectively deploy them is off-table. Thats where the problems start. I have yet to see a wargame that is playable and allows for off-table strikes as well. Most rulesets (like bf: evo) sacrifice accuracy for playability, and I've got nothing against that.

After all, nothing we do in a wargame is real, none of it works that way in real life, most of the ordnance we throw around actually works first time, after all! :?

Hiromoon said:
Alright...alright...we'll get you a vest too.

All well and good there :roll:

As for the game itself, having news teams sounds cool, but what do they do exactly? Maybe roll to see who controls them, and if bad things get caught on tape you get a penalty and vice versa.

Just something from the top of my head.

Actually it'd be interesting to have a campaign game with a third side. I wanted to make a Media Mod for BF2 where people tried to get the best shots to score points, so in BF:Ev the news media would trie to get LoS on action sequences like where Matt's helicopter crashed into the building, that would have been worth 100vps for the News Media player.

Hiromoon said:
Actually it'd be interesting to have a campaign game with a third side. I wanted to make a Media Mod for BF2 where people tried to get the best shots to score points, so in BF:Ev the news media would trie to get LoS on action sequences like where Matt's helicopter crashed into the building, that would have been worth 100vps for the News Media player.

omg that would be a blast : P

Rogue Trader had Media as one of its scenario sub-plots.

Rogue Trader said:
A camera crew belonging to a local media company has somehow arrived on the battlefield and is wandering around trying to interview the troops and film their activities. All troops within 4" of the crew will be distracted and suffer a -1 penalty to all rolls. Unit leaders and personalities may shoot these troublemakers - other troops would be reluctant to do so.

Adding assorted civilian 'encounters' could be a fun twist on things. Most western armies seem to have media crews attached to them at the minute. Or there are paniced civilian running through firefights. Or raging mobs attacking an embassy (or local/national government building).

Back