Nike Class Battlecruiser

Hi all. With the upcoming release of Armageddon I've been working furiously to develop a scratch-built version of the Nemesis. IMO the new miniatures are lacking inspiration so I thought I'd give this a try.

It's still a work in progress and although I have a ways to go, I thought I'd share what I have to date, and post progress as it becomes available. Click here to see the project from the very beginning. I'll continue to update both sites when progress is made.

Here is the design I've chosen to use as a proxy for the Nemesis:
orion2000-1.jpg

This CGI version is called the Orion - which is what I'll christen the prototype ship in homage to the CGI. By the way the original art I'm using for this project was created over at http://foxfire.fatal.ru. Some great work there and a definite source of inspiration for future projects.

Here's what I have so far:

IMG_1235.jpg

IMG_1231.jpg

IMG_1229.jpg

I'm at the point where I'll be adding the armored plating all around as well as the various turrets and guns. Nova cannons, small EA turrets, Warlock turrets and even some Poseidon turrets will be ordered shortly. Some more details have to be added, then it's on to priming and painting (my favorite part).

Any comments & criticisms are welcomed. If this project turns out good, I'd like to try a Marathon.

Um...damn.. nice :shock: That is awesome work with plasticard.... I like that you choose to use the Nike Battle cruiser...
http://efni.org/nike.htm

I have been trying to plan out a Tillman battleship without much success :( .

The Nova II is another good candidate for converstion from the EFNI site

when you decide to make a mold of it, I'll take two.

so much better a design than the neme'shark that mongoose is putting out

Hey prelude,

I really liked that whole line on your web site, with the Orion, the Pegasus, the Minos, the Harpy, and the Boreas. Frankly, a much more inspired set of designs than what we're seeing from Mongoose.

Yeah all of those images are from the same site - he has a lot of cool Shadows and Vorlons too...

Nice link Grey_Ghost - the fluff on these ships is interesting. Looks like the Orion is a Nike with an improved sensor package.

I've applied green stuff to the gaps and will be adding armor plating and the 'wings' hopefully this week.

prelude_to_war said:
Yeah all of those images are from the same site - he has a lot of cool Shadows and Vorlons too...

Nice link Grey_Ghost - the fluff on these ships is interesting. Looks like the Orion is a Nike with an improved sensor package.

I've applied green stuff to the gaps and will be adding armor plating and the 'wings' hopefully this week.

Thanks, can't wait to see the finished ship..

Think you still have the original measurements to make some online templates? :D

excelent work mate, I hope my G'Vrahn looks half as good as your potential final ship should :)

Nice work, Prelude, that is one verrry sexy ship...Mongoose and 4G, I hope you're paying attention!

The ship prelude_to_war is making was one of a few ship I see in this Forum. I will love to see when is finish, But after that you will try to do one of the others ships?

Python Battleship
python.jpg

python2000.jpg

Atlas Battleship
atlas2000.jpg

Pegasus Frigate
pegasus2000.jpg

Boreas Cutter
boreas2000.jpg

Quasar Dreadnought
quasar2000.jpg

Orion Cruiser
orion2000.jpg

Harpy Heavy Assault Cruiser
harpy2000.jpg

Progress continues. Apparently styrene sheets are available in 'sidewalk' patterns good for hull plating effects. Sadly by the time I found out about them I'd already cut & glued my plates on. Here's the current state of the Orion - plates added and gaps filled.

IMG_1239.jpg

IMG_1240.jpg

Upon close inspection the plates are not completely lined up with eachother. I may have to go back with an X-acto and even things out a bit. I also have to do the bottom half still but you get the idea.

The next big hurdle - which I've been avoiding - is the engines...I can either go with Hyperion style engine nozzels or try and recreate the three cylinder shapes per the CGI...have to think about that one...

Back