New Unit Suggestions for SST:Evo

Goldwyrm said:
Galatea said:
Something new could be a thing like a Kamikaze Bug - a Bug that explodes when charging the enemy - like the CHAS, but as part of a charge action (some Ants use this tactic). Probably some kind of upgraded blown up Blister.

I have a "Firecracker Bug" which uses the cliffmite stats but rather than attack, it freaks out and blows up as a frag grenade if an enemy model gets in it's personal space..
I really like this concept. I think that has potential so long as it's not too powerful and still counts toward your shatter point. It makes them a calculated risk in use and deployment and makes them a very interesting unit to field.

Rhino Beetle
Crossbreed these two:
http://www.abc.net.au/science/scribblygum/december2003/img/f_rhino.jpg
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Reek

Squad Size: 1
Size 3
Move 6”
Close Combat D10+3
Target: 7+
Save: 1+
Kill: 10+

Reckless: Rhino Beetles are immune to Suppression. However it is possible for sheer weight of firepower to force them backwards. If a Rhino bug succeeds in an Armour roll, move it directly away from its attacker by 2". It may only do this once per turn, and if it cannot move 2" away (because of impassable terrain or a table edge) then another Armour roll must immediately be made.

Unstoppable: If an enemy model completes an action within 6" of this unit, it may choose a Charge action as a reaction. However, it must Charge the enemy unit that triggered the reaction.

Armoured: The Rhino Beetle will ignore all terrain 1” high or less for the purposes of movement. It is also immune to Suppression but only has an Armour score of 3+ to the Side or Rear facings.

Tough: The Rhino bug will ignore the first three failed Armour rolls. An attack roll that rolls its Kill score will not automatically destroy it - instead, it will count as two failed Armour rolls.

====================================================

Firecracker Bugs
Squad Size: 7
Size 1
Move 5”
Close Combat D6
Target 4+
Save -
Kill 6+

Unstoppable: If an enemy model completes an action within 6" of this unit, it may choose a Charge action as a reaction. However, it must Charge the enemy unit that triggered the reaction.

Retribution: Firecracker bugs may opt to use a Ready action to “self-destruct”. By mixing two chemicals within their body the Firecracker Bugs are able to create a violent chemical reaction that sprays their enemies with a corrosive/acidic substance. All units (friend or foe) within 2” of this unit suffer 3xD6 damage. Once this ability has been used the bug should be removed from play as a Kill with the Victory pts being applied to the opponent’s total.

Up to 5 more units may be added to this squad for +10 points each.

I'm really liking those stats Paladin, any idea on points cost? The Rhino is a nice halfway between a warrior and a tanker, dedicated to taking out large or important targets. I'd like to see it with a 2+ save rather than the 1+. I think it's tough enough without needing a save penalty to hurt it, plus to paraphrase Andy Chambers "You should never have a sure thing."

Rabidchild said:
I'm really liking those stats Paladin, any idea on points cost?
Not really, there aren't enough units in the Evo set to gauge it very well.

Rabidchild said:
The Rhino is a nice halfway between a warrior and a tanker, dedicated to taking out large or important targets. I'd like to see it with a 2+ save rather than the 1+. I think it's tough enough without needing a save penalty to hurt it, plus to paraphrase Andy Chambers "You should never have a sure thing."
That's why I upped the from the sides/rear. I'm picturing a big, wide armor plated head with a soft body behind it. And since most weapons that can hit that high of a target score have negatives to armor as is so it's really not a "sure thing".

for an explodey Bug- the old 2000 vid game, had baby plasma bug variants called 'Cherry Bombers' I would like those as suicide bugs, also they could rear up and shoot a plasma flame at very short range...

on top of this... I would like to see Spider Bugs improved (the web idea Galatea mentioned has been floating around for a long time, some sort of shoot attack that limits/actions or movements.

'Scarab' bugs, small packs of bugs that are deployed as ambushers, they would generally suck, much like a cliff mite, but could be useful.

Independent small squads of chariot bugs that enhance range/targeting/or actions of the local brain bugs.

I'd like to see MI command suits. Maybe make them slightly resistant to rupture? That's about all I'd like see, other than the obligatory "anything at all"

The Evo Firecracker Bugs described are a bit more powerful than how I had them for v1. With 2" and 3xD6 like a Chem grenade, the Arachnid player's option to detonate, and 7 in a unit, you're looking at 21xD6 dice at 10 points per model. That's more dice than Warrior Bugs and a cheaper unit.

The SSTv1 ones I described were a bit more toned down. The Arachnid player can't control when they explode. They automatically do when an enemy gets within 1". They also are only a frag grenade in effect, 1" and D10.

Goldwyrm said:
The Evo Firecracker Bugs described are a bit more powerful than how I had them for v1. With 2" and 3xD6 like a Chem grenade, the Arachnid player's option to detonate, and 7 in a unit, you're looking at 21xD6 dice at 10 points per model. That's more dice than Warrior Bugs and a cheaper unit.

The SSTv1 ones I described were a bit more toned down. The Arachnid player can't control when they explode. They automatically do when an enemy gets within 1". They also are only a frag grenade in effect, 1" and D10.
but slower and a 50% chance of kill shot per d6 at them (no armor). 7 troopers on them and statistically they are dead in 1 Shoot action if they are all in LOS.

Rhino Beetle
Crossbreed these two:
http://www.abc.net.au/science/scribblygum/december2003/img/f_rhino.jpg
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Reek

Squad Size: 1
Size 3
Move 6”
Close Combat D10+2
Target: 7+
Save: 1+
Kill: 10+

Hits/4
Pierce/2

Bull Rush: If the unit moves in a straight line for it’s entire charge it receives a +1 to it’s Damage

Unstoppable: A unit of equal size or lower must flinch after being hit by a Charge action regardless of Cover or a Hits score greater than 1.

Armoured: It has an Armour score of 3+ to the Side or Rear facings.

Firecracker Bugs
Squad Size: 5 / Up to 5 more units may be added to this squad for +10 points each.
Size 1
Move 5”
Close Combat D6
Target 4+
Save -
Kill 6+

Retaliate

Kamakazi: Firecracker bugs may opt to use a Ready action to “self-destruct”. By mixing two chemicals within their body the Firecracker Bugs are able to create a violent chemical reaction that sprays their enemies with a corrosive/acidic substance. All units (friend or foe) within 2” of this unit suffer 3xD6 damage. Once this ability has been used the bug should be removed from play as a Kill.

A "blood sucker" tick/leech/mosquito like unit with multiple hits. Allow it to use a Ready action to "drain" an infantry type unit to heal 1 of it's own damage hits.

Centipede/millipede type that moves fast, but doesn't have the strongest attack (c. D6+1) but is poisonous and has the persistent ability.

Termite type that permanently reduces a unit’s armor score.

New Flyer with accurate ability.

Strider bug - give a Climb score equal to double it's standard move so that it can freely pass over terrain/vertical surfaces. Possibly implement as a unit upgrade.

Add a quick reflexes upgrade option to warriors that give them a +1-2” move on Reactions

Add a heightened senses upgrade option that works like Stay Frosty of the MI.

I'd like to see cliff Mite models cheap enough to field in numbers.

They're not really effective stat-wise either.

If they were done in a plastic boxed set with about 100 cliff mites, and it were the same price in money as say, a warrior bug mega swarm or tanker bug, would it be feasible?

I think Max's idea is fantastic- loads of optional tables so rather than playing on desert planet with no adverse effects you haveto deal with the migrating Burrower Sacks, local nanobot guerillas and a plant that injects your models with a mild narcotic leading to them reeling all over the field like a drunk. Much better for universe immersion.

In real unit terms I'd like to see some diversification amongst the Federation with more real ground forces, types of Marauder, tanks/APC's/Buggies and more freaky things from SICON labs. Proper K9's. Etc.

That and the likes of Mormon seperatists, planetary militias, local police forces (discover the bug threat in your colony!).

Mage said:
If they were done in a plastic boxed set with about 100 cliff mites, and it were the same price in money as say, a warrior bug mega swarm or tanker bug, would it be feasible?

Plastic costs more than Metal to produce. If enough people said they were going to buy them, it would be worth it. :?

my suggestion for a new unit would be the lami with the old movie moritas and the roughneck heros in lami armor with old moritas also.

also not a unit suggestion but just an idea, GW has cities of death bulding kits, maybe mongoose could make outpost kits colony kits tunnel kits, and other stuff like that. :D

Some nice ideas there.

There is plenty of scenery out there for that kind of thing really. GW can do this as a lot of their market don't know about any other kind of wargaming. :?

LAMI in plastic would be nice, the old metals are really nice but expensive to boot. The roughnecks in LAMI armour would be really nice too.
However, I can see why they wouldn't be. Their campaign was fought in powered armour. The series doesn't give opportunities for them all to be in the same place at once wearing something that isn't power armour (other than marauder suits). But I agree, they would be nice for a 'what if' scenario. Also, if the background for SST V.2 has them in it.

yes rob you gave another good idea, maraurders, they should have maraurders from the sst fps i thin the lami just need a lil more cause honetly we have too many pami stuff. :)

Whats the SST:FPS?

Sorry dude, I'm not great with that kind of thing!

If you mean LAMI equivilent Marauders, then definately a solid idea. However, the idea of tanks interests me more LAMI wise.

LAMI definately do need more options, but the main part of a LAMI force should always be LOTS of cannon fodder. :lol:

starship troopers first person shooter, its a pc game. its kind like halo were your an elite trooper assighned to different tasks on hesperus and you get to engage in battles with id say hundreds of bugs on the feild at once with maybe 20- 50 MI troopers, its really good but ya tanks and stuff would be great too cause i remmeber there wer like apcs and stuff in the animated series which were cool. :D

Sounds pretty cool. I guess ideas should be taken from there as well as the movie and CGI, but it dpends if MGP has the liscensing to do that! Some of the designs may be from another company, in the same way say, the pathfinders are a MGP design and it would breach copyright to use them without consent, even if it is for an SST based project.
Just saying :(

Back