New to the Conan RPG

Vincent791

Mongoose
I'm an avid RPG player for 10 years, but now I'm trying to start a new party cause my old D&D party is going down.

Conan is probably my favorite character, and the incredible world of Hyboria has a lot to do with this, also the mature themes, the women, the gore, etc. So now I'm thinking about playing this game, but the game and the mechanics are a mistery to me.

Considering that I read a lot of Conan, and I know the world of Hyboria it's probably that I'll be the GM, so it'd be great if you can give me any tips and help. How different is from D&D? How hard is to get into this mechanics? Please tell me the books I need and the books I should get to start.

Thanks! I'm very interested in playing this game so I hope you can help me.

Good to have you aboard!

The rules are very similar to D&D3.5 with the following exceptions:
* All New PC classes, only 1 of which (The Scholar) has any hope of learning spells.
* Only 1 NPC class: The Commoner.
* combat is more lethal (weapons do a little ore damage, lower massive damage threshold)
* No Weapon finesse feat, Finesseable is a weapon trait instead. A Finessed attack can bypass armor.
* Weapons have a penetration trait which determines how well they "punch through" armor.
* Initiative based on reflex save.
* Armor provides Damage Reduction not AC bonus
* Characters have 2 defense ratings which have class based bonuses (like Saves)
* Magic is very different. A "Spell point" system as opposed to a "spells per day system"
* Monsters have No CR.

You need the Core book "Atlantean Edition". After you get through it you can decide what else you may want. Based on your post I would recommend the Scrolls of Skellos (sorcery supplement) as it adds spells and monsters among other things.

I already got the Core book "Atlantean Edition". I'm very pleased with the purchase, I was expecting to see the details of every kingdom and city, the religions, the gods, etc and that's what I got.

I just read the Introduction and I'm amazed by the description of the cities, and it's just the introduction, I hope that it gets better.

I'll have some problems getting the players cause I don't know anybody interested in the Conan RPG, so wish me luck. Also I'll have to think in an adventure that gives the players what Hyboria truly is: the kingdoms, politics, racism, barbarism, sexism, etc. Any tips or help?

Having characters start in a bar getting drunk and then getting kidnapped by some rich merchant to do some deed for him with freedom as the reward is a good start. This way any class can be brought in, comeraderie established through the adventure, and not real explanation other than "you're the group he chose for the job" need be given.

The tough sell is that there are no Dwarves or Elves and that just because it says "Conan"on it, it's still just a RPG. There's also some other huge differences between COnan and D&D that might help you in convincing you usual players:
  • All classes can use magic by gaining the Dabbler feat, but only the scholar can get good at magic without it.
  • Thieves aren't the only ones who can sneak attack, but they also are able to do it at 1st level and, through choosing a specified weapon, can inflict d8 damge instead of d6.
  • No alignments. Do what seems right at the time - no goody-goody Paladins to tell you not to! (lol)
  • Ability increases still occur at a rate of 1 point every 4 levels, however, every 6 levels, all ability scores increase by +1. Cimmerians recieve a +2STR and so a 6th level Cimerian Barbarian who rolled an 18 STR could easily, and legally, have a 22 STR.
  • Treasure isn't as much a goal because the GM is instructed that characters lose about 50% of thier wealth every night. (hehe) Wine and women are the way of Hyboria, and so deeds really tell the tale, not possessions. This is handeled with a Reputation value that adds a new dimension to the game. Defeating someone of higher level than you, for instance, can garner lots of rep, while defeating a weakling can cause you to lose it!
  • Everyone can multi-class freely, you just get bonus feats when you level up in your favored class; 1 free feat at 1st and then at 5, 10, 15 and 20. The flip side is that only +3 HP are gained, plus CON bonus, after 10th level.

I could go on, but you'll see for your self...there's a lot going on in this game and it's all good...

Sutek said:
Having characters start in a bar getting drunk and then getting kidnapped by some rich merchant to do some deed for him with freedom as the reward is a good start.

It has been my experience that this does not work so well. The characters in my campaigns, outraged, will attack the merchant, even if it means dying. Even if they don't attack him immediately, as soon as they have been given weapons and sent on the quest, they will disappear quietly as if they were going, then double back and attack and kill the merchant. The actual quest never gets undertaken.

I have yet to have any PCs who meekly submit to enslavement or coercion. They would rather their characters die in a brave attempt at freedom than submit to the will of an NPC.

This is what happened with the Black Stones of Kovag Re for me.

What about a slightly different setting?
Players are not kidnapped by their employer, but become arrested by the local guards. The Merchant appears and tells them that he is ready to help players out from the jail (bribe guards, help them to escape, whatever) if they will help him to solve a certain problem.

It is still possible that after getting out from jail the players will just say "So long, sucker" and refuse to help him... But then thay are in their own (and if He helped them to escape and did not bribe/buy them free, they will still be searched by guards)

Also, it could be nice twist afterwards if it turns out that this merchant actually was behind their inprisonment because he needed some thugs to do his dirty work. Maybe he spreaded false rumors about players taking part in some criminal activities, or maybe the guards were bribed from the beginning to arrest players for couple of days so that it looks like he has helped PC:s to get out...

That would work better - it is similar to the beginning of "Rogues in the House."

However, the latter twists will just get the merchant killed once it is uncovered. It might make more sense to leave him as a useful contact for future adventures.

Another good way to start a campaign is the usual one for Conan himself- they're broke and they desperately need money. Desperate players are easy to coerce. 8)

Great! Thank you all for helping me and joining me in my new Conan adventure, I'm reading the Core book at detail cause, although I've been playing D&D for years, I always played D&D 2nd edition, so I'm discovering a lot of changes cause it seems that the system is based on the 3rd edition. Now I'm in the Characters chapter.

I really want to play this game cause I think that it's a more mature game than the usual D&D campaign. I've been reading Conan for years, and now the Dark Horse run on Conan really gets me into the character, I'm reading the Howard's novels and poems too. So recently all I'm reading is Conan, and I can't stop.

About your toughts I think that I'll mix all your posts, let's see what you think:

"The adventure starts with a tavern, womans and ale, then a brawl starts due to the ale and the drunken commoners, the brawl ends with someone dead so the local guards appear and capture the PC's, they're taken to jail, they took all their money, posessions, etc....

...they pass the night in the jail, they're tired, they're hungry. Then, the next morning, the merchant appears and bribes the guard to freeing the players (and probably a NPC to join them, another adventurer, a beautiful slave, who knows? toughts?)...

...then the merchant let them know his true intentions, he needs a relic or maybe someone dead, he hires them, he gives them weapons as part of the pay, and the money when the mission is completed..."

It would be a pain to start this thing alone, so I really appreciate your help, thank you all!

VincentDarlage said:
It has been my experience that this does not work so well. The characters in my campaigns, outraged, will attack the merchant, even if it means dying. Even if they don't attack him immediately, as soon as they have been given weapons and sent on the quest, they will disappear quietly as if they were going, then double back and attack and kill the merchant. The actual quest never gets undertaken.

If the merchant's quest is about some good loot, my players would probably do the quest and after that disappear or kill the merchant and do then the quest (depending on their sympathy for the rich guy).
Planning a campaign is not the easiest task...

Make it loot that only useful to the merchant- either cursed so only he can undo it, information only useful to the merchant, or something not so reaily salable on the market like sorcerous artifacts or obscure historical items that only a few 'true collectors' would want. Other options- have the merchant ready to betray them with hired toughs once the weakened party get it for him, have the merchant slain by rival factions that now are hunting the party, have the treasure be something like a sentient person, creature or object that objects to being 'collected- but must be brought in alive.

One possibility, odd that it might seem, is that the merchant hires them on the up and up. While the party could betray their merchant, they may find it more useful to garner a positive Reputation for keeping their word and being discreet as it will net them more jobs from the merchant and he may recommend them to other, possibly more powerful patrons. Having contacts, especially in the upper classes and nobility is a treasure beyond gold. Operating as such, my party now has such patrons as a Argossean smuggling network, an Zamorian assassian/sorcerer, a young but rising Pict shaman, a high priest of Bel and even the Argossean crown- all of which can provide a wide variety of adventure potentials.

VincentDarlage said:
That would work better - it is similar to the beginning of "Rogues in the House."

However, the latter twists will just get the merchant killed once it is uncovered. It might make more sense to leave him as a useful contact for future adventures.

Well, the latter twist was just something extra, if you want to add some kind of surprising element at the end of the scenario. Or maybe the truth will be revealed couple of scenarios later... They have completed their original task for the merchant, maybe worked with him couple of times after that (or meybe he had been some kind of source of vital information in a some scenario) and only after that they hear that the guy had actually manipulated them from a very beginning. That could actually be a source for a new adventure: couple of scenarios after the first adventure players will meet sergant of those guards who arrested them alone, and try to settle the score with him... and to save his own neck he will reveal that he was actually hired to arrest them...

quote " always played D&D 2nd edition, so I'm discovering a lot of changes cause it seems that the system is based on the 3rd edition. "
Hello mate, we were in exactly the same boat but it worked out alright. In fact the system is much like 2nd edition in some ways. Combat is more tactical and in my opinion better, we are just getting used to sorcery which is so much better than traditional D&D. Anyway just saying hello, and good luck on your campaign :wink:

Thanks my friend! Now I'm feeling a little overwhelmed by the Conan universe and the system, I'm starting from zero, so I'm reading the whole Core book, page by page, I'm surprised cause I didn't do that to start playing D&D.

I also bought yesterday the Shadizar box set. I tought that I'll need some help speaking about maps, guides and adventures. So I'm going to check that city at detail, cause I think that Shadizar has a lot of potential and offers a lot of possibilities. Obviously I have to learn a lot of things about the system before thinking about cities and adventures. Well, I hope to get into this thing ASAP cause I can't wait to start playing!

Vincent791 said:
Thanks my friend! Now I'm feeling a little overwhelmed by the Conan universe and the system, I'm starting from zero, so I'm reading the whole Core book, page by page, I'm surprised cause I didn't do that to start playing D&D.

I also bought yesterday the Shadizar box set. I tought that I'll need some help speaking about maps, guides and adventures. So I'm going to check that city at detail, cause I think that Shadizar has a lot of potential and offers a lot of possibilities. Obviously I have to learn a lot of things about the system before thinking about cities and adventures. Well, I hope to get into this thing ASAP cause I can't wait to start playing!

Hi. I've been running a Conan campaign for about a couple years now, and am about to start another campaign. My first bit of advice you're already practising: read the book first!! (LOL): my group convinced me to let them roll characters before I'd received my (1st ed) book, and looking back I personally wouldn't have allowed sorcerers (Scholars) had I read the book first. (I have a couple really impatient players :wink: ).

As for Shadizar, I'm working on starting another Conan group of players more familiar to some extent with the Howard stories (one guy really knows them well), and I decided to use Shadizar as well. Since you just bought the boxed set, you may or may not be aware that the map with the huge right-angled river running through it isn't very Shadizar-like; it's actually a DnD map, so go to this thread and write to Mongoose and they'll send you the 'authentic' Shadizar map. It's really cool in my opinion, and you'll be very happy when you get it (as far as I know Mongoose hasn't released any boxed sets with the correct map unless recently, so you may have gotten a pre-fix boxed set).

For other supplements, I think the greatest release so far has been the h/c The Road of Kings, which is a more detailed gazeteer of the Hyborian World. Scrolls of Skelos is great if you will have a Scholar PC in your group; Pirate Isles if a Pirate (this is a really cool book IMO); Free Companies if you'll run a military campaign or a mercenary band; but for adventurers, yeah I am also thinking Shadizar:City of Wickedness. Everyone seems to love Across Thunder River, but since neither of my groups are the least interested in the west I haven't done much more than a quick perusal of this book, but everyone seems to love it.

Lastly, MightyCthulhu posted a link to Iron_Chef's thread about creating adventures, which is great to look at. Several of us have been posting adventure breakdowns of our groups' adventures in this forum (My Saturday group's thread, for example, is called The Story So Far...) and reading them may help both give more adventure ideas or maybe learn from our mistakes. ~I thought maybe I'd link several threads similar to yours asking general questions about getting started, so:
*Conan campaigns - advice sought
*Some newbie questions
*A couple rules questions
*Conan Campaign?
*First post here, health question...
*Adventure Generation
*Instant Campaign Starter
*The First Session
*New to Conan - Quick Question
*New to the game...
--At present there's 40 pages of threads on the Conan forum; for example while putting this list together (took 10 minutes) I found 7 posts on Great Swords. So odds are if you are trying to figure something out, odds are someone's already asked it. :wink: So you can also use the search button at the top of the screen.

So in closing (I tend to write long posts :oops: ) reply if you have any specific questions, and I hope this helps.

Thanks for that list! It'll make this job easier.

Now I'm taking notes of the differences between the systems (2nd to 3rd edition), I still have to check the combat system, the sorcery, and I also want to study the gazeteer at detail, I'm going to study every kingdom and city, I'm even taking notes of every race, class and region of Hyboria, so I'll have this thing solid when our party starts. I'll let you know as soon as I have the adventure ready (or maybe some doubts).

try the road of kings then as most of that work has been done for you in that book you can concentrate on adventurs to intreast your group :D

I've made this offer several times in the past, but when I was waiting for the original version to come out a couple years ago, I quickly ran through my collection of Conan stories by Howard, and a couple re-done by DeCamp, Carter (my old Ace collection of p/bs, but I didnt' do all the pastiches), and made an MS Word doc of character names, etc. Then I sorted them by region/nationality, the latter doc I added to when names were added in Signs & Portents magazines, the Shadizar boxed set, etc. There may be some questionable choices (I put Tlazitlan names under Stygian), but it's you're if you're interested.

If you want, PM me and I'll email them to you.

toothill man said:
try the road of kings then as most of that work has been done for you in that book you can concentrate on adventurs to intreast your group :D

There is so much great information on the different countries in Vincent's The Road of Kings; one may easily miss the great chapter on GMing in the Conan RPG that is also in the book. The list of the following popular themes with examples from Howard's stories for example:

1) The Lost City/Race theme
2) Barbarism vs. Civilization theme
3) Weird Menace theme
4) Tragic Heroism theme
5) Black Magic theme

Add in the long list of adventure ideas and the starting sample scenarios and the NPC notables of the Hyborian age and ROK is a must have for any Conan GM! A great book!

Back