[New GM] Recommendations for a 3-4H Demo game?

Giorgio3025

Banded Mongoose
As a new Traveller 2E GM, I aim to run an in-person/meatspace demo game at a local convention on the weekend of April 7-9th in Florida. What recommendations can you offer for a 3-4 hour demonstration game for a PUG (with pre-gen PC sheets if possible) that would be a good fit for such an event?
(I will try to run a few test games with some local players before that event if possible.)
I own the physical copies of the Core Rules 2022 update, Traveller Companion, Explorer’s Edition, Field Catalogue, Vehicle Handbook, Utility Pack, and Mercenary’s Box set.
From my Fantasy Grounds Unity Traveller Core Bundle, I have the PDFs for Mongoose Traveller 2E Ruleset, Traveller Companion, High Guard, and Central Supply Catalogue.
From my Bundle of Holding's (DEC'22) The Mongoose Traveller Explorations and Great Rift bundles, I have the dozens + PDFs included in those collections.

If you have the Companion then the alternate chargen approach there makes it very easy to make quick pregens for a game, with the added advantage that they'll each have a clear theme.

Death Station is a good one. It has the added advantage over some of the others (Flatlined, Stranded) that it involves a little bit of ship activity without making that the emphasis, so characters may actually get to do something with ship-related skills.

If you want to avoid the horror theme and/or focus a bit more on shipboard activity - and especially if they players are more familiar with space opera or action-adventure franchises - Theories of Everything may also be worth a try. The episodes meander between dangerous/tense and slightly comical, so you can play with the mood to suit the group.

So far I have “Flatlined”, “Death Station”, “Return to Mithril”, and “Theories of Everything” to dive into on my next days off (SAT 3/11-SUN 3/12) as good recommendations for a demo game.
As a follow up, besides what I can find with a Google and Forum search,
1) Which Character Generations options have you found to be good for a new GM and Players to use for new PCs (easy to understand/newbie friendly)?
2) What online resources have good pre-gen PCs with the current version of the MGT2E rules (websites, Google sheets, wikis...)?

Last edited:
To your first question, I’d second what someone else said, the Traveller Companion has quick-build rules. Basically you just pick a background and a career and each one gives you some skills and characteristic DMs, and there are a few simple steps to finish up and round out the character. You end up with essentially a 3 or 4 Term PC (without the career events IIRC).

As to your second question, I feel like I’ve seen some NPCs in some MgT 2e product but I can’t recall exactly which one(s). I don’t believe Mongoose has done a stand-alone book of NPCs but I recall there is one from the Classic era.

So far I have “Flatlined”, “Death Station”, “Return to Mithril”, and “Theories of Everything” to dive into on my next days off (SAT 3/11-SUN 3/12) as good recommendations for a demo game.
As a follow up, besides what I can find with a Google and Forum search,
1) Which Character Generations options have you found to be good for a new GM and Players to use for new PCs (easy to understand/newbie friendly)?
2) What resources have good pre-gen PCs with the current version of the MGT2E rules?
In regard to your first question the most important thing is, that you as a referee know the in and outs of the generation method that you chose. Because it will be you who will have to guide them through it. Some find the randomness of the classic Traveller character generation hard to accept, especially if you are used to have more control over it in other systems.
Not sure that if I understand your second question correctly but usually the resources (money, items and contacts/allies/enemies) are generated during character creation for PCs. At least that is what I consider resources.

In regard to your first question the most important thing is, that you as a referee know the in and outs of the generation method that you chose. Because it will be you who will have to guide them through it. Some find the randomness of the classic Traveller character generation hard to accept, especially if you are used to have more control over it in other systems.
Not sure that if I understand your second question correctly but usually the resources (money, items and contacts/allies/enemies) are generated during character creation for PCs. At least that is what I consider resources.

I will be supplying pre-gen PPC sheets, and I was looking for exsisting examples for inspiration. I will in any case build my own pre-gen PCs with the Traveller Companion "Package-Based Creation" option, which seems preety solid (and GM friendly).
As for my second question, I realize it wasn't clear, so I edited it.

I did a read over of "Death Station" and I think I will go with that for the demo game, and keep the others in-mind for alternate future demo games or one-shots. I do have some questions on this module, but I will see if others have already asked them, or start a new thread.
Thanks to everyone who has reponded to this thread, much appreciated. :)

You might want to check out Seth Skorkowsky's review of Death Station, if you haven't already:

He's the author of the updated MgT 2e version so some good insight there.

Pre-Gen PCs v1 (Traveller Companion):
Aslan Military (Enlisted/PBI), Developed World, Combat Implant
Bwap Scholar (Field Researcher), Fringe, 1 Ally (Law Enforcement) & 2 Contacts (Criminal)
Human Agent (Law Enforcement), Metropolis, cr 100000 in cash
Human Medic (Physician), Space Habitat, SOC +1
Human Spacer (Crew), Belter, Combat Implant (Illegal)
Vargr Scout (Explorer), Colonist, TAS Membership
+ Traveller Skill Package
Patron: Core Sector Corporation that provides “Consultants” for anyone who needs “deniable assets”.
Ship: Old Scout/S (Quirks: Haunted, Requires Heavy Maintenance)

Looks like a great crew!

l love it - how did that ex-cop get so much cash? And where (and why!) did the probably broke-as-hell belter get that illegal implant? And a Bwap and an Aslan on the same team just begs for Odd Couple hijinks.

Looks like you‘re off to a great start!

As a new Traveller 2E GM, I aim to run an in-person/meatspace demo game at a local convention on the weekend of April 7-9th in Florida. What recommendations can you offer for a 3-4 hour demonstration game for a PUG (with pre-gen PC sheets if possible) that would be a good fit for such an event?
(I will try to run a few test games with some local players before that event if possible.)
I own the physical copies of the Core Rules 2022 update, Traveller Companion, Explorer’s Edition, Field Catalogue, Vehicle Handbook, Utility Pack, and Mercenary’s Box set.
From my Fantasy Grounds Unity Traveller Core Bundle, I have the PDFs for Mongoose Traveller 2E Ruleset, Traveller Companion, High Guard, and Central Supply Catalogue.
From my Bundle of Holding's (DEC'22) The Mongoose Traveller Explorations and Great Rift bundles, I have the dozens + PDFs included in those collections.
I recommend “Critical Vector” from Journal of the Travellers Aid Society Volume 6. Great scenario that easily fits into a short time window.

Pre-Gen PCs v1 (Traveller Companion):
Aslan Military (Enlisted/PBI), Developed World, Combat Implant
Bwap Scholar (Field Researcher), Fringe, 1 Ally (Law Enforcement) & 2 Contacts (Criminal)
I would stay away from using alien races for beginners. Aliens are not just humans that look different. This makes them more difficult to play. Not only do you need the appropriate alien books but you have to find a player that is willing to dive deeper into the corresponding alien background.
If alien races are an important factor in your game setting I would introduce them as NPCs at first.

Your game should be representative of your players interests really. So think what they would like to play. This is the problem with pregen scenarios they are very generic and not necessarily suited to your players. I always think the most interesting bit about Traveller is coming up with the idea yourself - a 'Commando' style rescue mission maybe if they love combat, or a mystery, or a survival scenario, a western, or yes possibly a horror. Think what they will enjoy and a lot of that will come from the characters they have created. Then think of some films or books that have similar themes. That will start you off. Firefly is a great series to watch for ideas.

By all means look over some made scenarios to give you some ideas but I generally find them not very in line with my own idea of what Traveller should be about, never mind my player's own interests.

Sometimes a scanario will come just from the character generation process, especially if you ask your players to flesh it out with a character background. A randomised system like BOLD can help with giving some prompts during that process as can:

Last edited:
A bit of thread-necromancy but does anyone have any good resources for running a convention game? For all the GMing Ive done over the decades Ive never run a con game so wondering what resources people would refer to for a GM doing that for the first time.

Thanks

A bit of thread-necromancy but does anyone have any good resources for running a convention game? For all the GMing Ive done over the decades Ive never run a con game so wondering what resources people would refer to for a GM doing that for the first time.

Thanks

What "resources" are you requesting? Books, articles, blogs, apps, wepages, tools...?

For my "Death Station" Con demo I just used the Core Rulebook, pre-generated PCs with Flat Plastic Miniatures, brought enough dice, pencils, and paper for everyone, and some "cheat cheats" rules printouts.

Back