A few points regarding 2e so far.

ShawnDriscoll said:
You can't convince someone that steals, that they are a thief. They've already logistisized it in their brain that what they are doing isn't hurting anyone. It all comes down to... they don't want to pay for stuff. Be it games, movies, music, etc.

Anyway,
I've been able to referee Mongoose Traveller games on G+ Hangout just fine without the players having the rules. Players end up buying their own set of rules because they want to become referees themselves.

Oh I know, but every once in a while someone needs to call them out on it.

I play online, play by post, chat-based, and RPGtools based games...never had a problem if someone wants to learn without books...I have taught dozens of people to lay over the years and it's a matter of getting them into the game, not the rules. If you can make it fun and entertaining they are more than happy to deal with the 'hassle"

Wow, I swear I suddenly stumbled onto a forum for music and video pirates! SAME EXACT excuses for a slightly different product.

Quite frankly, I will have as much sympathy here as for the other pirates if and when anyone stealing books get caught. They can use their 'logic' with law enforcement and courts. Stealing is stealing.

There is a simple solution to the OP's problems - use 1e's SRD. This is PERFECTLY legal to distribute as you like, and the rules are quite good. And similar enough to 2e that if the players like the rules, they can but 2e knowing that it's a ruleset they'll like.

Golan2072 said:
There is a simple solution to the OP's problems - use 1e's SRD. This is PERFECTLY legal to distribute as you like, and the rules are quite good. And similar enough to 2e that if the players like the rules, they can but 2e knowing that it's a ruleset they'll like.

Or just keep using 1e and not bother upgrading to 2e.

1e's rules are still out there, available legally for free on websites such as this one, and it is perfectly legal to pass that around the table or to your friends.

I havent realized the prices of the PDF copies are so high, but on that note does Mongoose still do the Bit and Morter system where if you buy a hardcopy you get a pdf for free?

I ask as I am still interested in this 2nd edition, but due to life finances are not what I wish they would be for allowing the purchase of gaming products.

Jacqual said:
I havent realized the prices of the PDF copies are so high, but on that note does Mongoose still do the Bit and Morter system where if you buy a hardcopy you get a pdf for free?
Hope so. The Traveller Core Rule Book, 2nd Edition is £30 for the hardback. How much are they asking for the PDF on its own?

I take it from this conversation the SRD for 2nd hasn't surfaced yet.

Historically I have put together "Readers" for the Games I run, which generally cover Character Generation, skill use and Combat and the like. Frequently these were Photocopied from the Core rules. With these I have found the players who stick and continue playing the game purchase the rules and further supplements, while those who don't don't.... And with the advent of the PDF tools in Chrome yanking relevant chunks out of PDFs is just as easy as Photocopying.

Back