my reflections on darklands

A

Anonymous

I got the book in the dead of night last night. I read thru it this morning. And I wanted to post a few questions, comments on it.

1. First off, considering the little info August had to go on, he did a great job capturing the feel of Lone Wolf in this book. I think this book could have been its own hardback easily. But I think it was a solid supliment.

2. Is there supposed to be a map of the darklands in the book? Was i ripped off, because mine doesn't have one. It was a little confusing reading about all the cities, fortresses, regions with no map to reference.

3. I'm still a bit disappointed in the art work. While it was better then the illustations from the core rule book, it still doesn't feel as on par with the game books that Brian Williams and Gary Chalk illustrated. I think if you guys got yourself a top notch beginner artist online with the project it would really make the books look outstanding.

Overall, its a good start on the regional sourcebook idea. Now we just need regions books on: Ruel, Lencia and the Crucade Lands, Stornlands and we've got something ;).

sunwolf said:
Overall, its a good start on the regional sourcebook idea. Now we just need regions books on: Ruel, Lencia and the Crucade Lands, Stornlands and we've got something ;).

Don't forget Sommerlund!

About the only gripe I have with the book (apart from some sloppy editing, especially at the beginning of the book) is that a lot of the references to areas of the Darklands are not marked on any map. I understand why this was done, as August states that the borders shift constantly, but even just a rough visual reference would have been nice. Still, August does a good job of verbally explaining the locations.

True,

But big fortresses and cities rarely shift location..

It just seemed a bit lazy that they didn't at least include SOME kind of map. I mean, they mention donzens of lands/places/fotresses/terrains..but i have no idea where they are!

But big fortresses and cities rarely shift location..

I wouldn't be surprised if they do in the Darklands!

And the idea sounds kind of cool. Just imagine the players' consternation if they enter a fortress and, upon sneaking out again, find themselves in a wholly different region...

Is there supposed to be a map of the darklands in the book?

I'd like to know the same thing. I kept looking for it to show up, but it just wasn't there. It would be handy to know exactly where Tar Ogashaar was so we could take the long way around it. :)

I'm still a bit disappointed in the art work.

I still want to know who the "mystery" Darklord is...that bat-winged creature with a bucket-like head, seen on The Masters of Time, UK Beaver edition (over Gnaag's left shoulder), and in the Magnamund Companion. It doesn't look like any of the ones in the book, but of course Kraagenskul and Zagarna look different that I'd imagined, too.

KL, ready to order the next MGP Lone Wolf supplement

W00t! I finally got my mitts on a copy- it came yesterday. I was glad to see the images of all the darklords inside, as it allows one to envision them easier. The book all in all reminded me of the Book of Vile Darkness, Lone Wolf style. :twisted:

I was pretty impressed all in all, as it gives me lots of fresh material I can throw upon my unsuspecting players once I GM a Lone Wolf game later this year. Indeed, a territorial map of the Darklands would have been nice, but it means I get to improvise borders again, which is always fun, and overwise I have few quibbles.

I did notice in the details of Dajaraa and Dajdorza that apparently Nithraag Tower is in both of them (I assume one should have had an entry for Tiinzaa Tower instead!) :shock:

The only other thing I can say is that, for the first supplement, it seems to aimed solely at a bunch of high-ish level PC's. Whilst this isn't bad, the Darklands are not really going to be the first adventuring port of call for our Lone Wolf PC's; and indeed, any party not consisting purely of Kai Lords with Nexus will die before ever seeing adventure, given the nasty nature of the environment, but nevermind... :roll:

Well, Rimoah did have to give even Lone Wolf a Gold Amulet. I think it probably makes sense that the Darklands are tough to explore, you wouldn't want a bunch of first level characters blowing up Helgedad, would you. ;) Anyway, sounds cool, as soon as one comes in to my local store I'm getting a copy...

I thouroughly enjoed this supplement. My only beerfs with it are:

1.The Unknown Darklord? Will he be covered in a new supplement down the road?

2. Vashna's stats are not hear.

3. 19 darklords? I thought there were only 17 left? Unless more joined the ranks or maybe I missed something in the supplement. 3 dead including Vashna and those other two Vashna killed.

4. No maps. I am a big fan of maps.

raethryn said:
I thouroughly enjoed this supplement. My only beerfs with it are:

1.The Unknown Darklord? Will he be covered in a new supplement down the road?

2. Vashna's stats are not hear.

3. 19 darklords? I thought there were only 17 left? Unless more joined the ranks or maybe I missed something in the supplement. 3 dead including Vashna and those other two Vashna killed.

4. No maps. I am a big fan of maps.

I don’t have the Darklands Supplement yet, but I am definitely looking forward to getting it.

1. I read the question about the Unknown Darklord on the Project Aon Forum. There is definitely only 20 Darklords (No extras). I was hopeing that the Darklord supplement would have artwork for all the Darklords. (Can anybody let me know if it does)

http://projectaon.proboards30.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&num=1082035220

2. Vashna’s Stats not there! Pity, I was looking forward to resurrecting the undead lord in the future.

3. The 20 Darklords are:-

Vashna, Lord of Helgedad
Zagarna, Lord of Kaag
Haakon, Lord of Aarnak
Dakushna, Lord of Kagorst
Kraagenskul, Lord of Helgedad
Chlanzor, Lord of Gazad Helkona
Menashga, Lord of Nadgazad
Tomogh, Lord of Gournen
Unc, Lord of Aarnak
Slutar, Lord of Kaag
Gnaag, Lord of Mozgoar
Shebnar, Lord of Helgedad
Taktaal, Lord of Helgedad
Zhanshal, Lord of Aarnak
Ghanesh, Lord of Helgedad
Nhorg, Lord of Gourizaga
Mrugor, Lord of Helgedad
Xog, Lord of Helgedad
Ghurch, Lord of Ghargon
Khatellu, Lord of Helgedad

Vashna was defeated by King Ulnar
Zagarna was killed by Lone Wolf in "Fire on the Water"
Haakon was killed by Lone Wolf in "Shadow on the Sand"
Unc & Ghurch were killed during the Civil war. Ending "The Jungle of Horrors" with Gnaag in charge.

This leaves 15 Darklords left by the time, you get to "The Masters of Darkness". A few of these die at Lone Wolf hands the rest die, when the Transfusor is destroyed.

Here are a few links you might be interested in:-

http://www.geocities.com/Area51/4427/darklandtime.html
http://www.ncf.carleton.ca/~as300/darklords.html
http://www.projectaon.org/~simon/Newsletter_NY87.pdf

4. No Map! I was looking forward to a detailed map of the Darklands. Maybe it could be released as an addition to one of the other supplements.

1) As far as I am aware it is only unkown as to WHICH Darklord rules V'ka. As for artwork, everyone except Vashna is depicted.

2) I would have been more annoyed if Vashna's stats were there. He is dead, after all, at the time the campaign takes place. Plus it wouldn't be difficult to use one of the existing Darklords and beef him up a bit to make Vashna if need be.

3) No response

4) Saying 'no maps' is unfair; there is a nifty map of Helgedad after all.

For anybody who hasn't got this yet the cheapest copy I have sen in the UK is £10.69 here.

http://www.infinitygames.co.uk/ProductDetails.aspx?productID=1952&menuId=46

I can't vouch for what they are like, I'm still waiting for my copy from my FLGS. But unless they really sting you for postage that is mighty cheap.

A friend of mine uses Infinity Games and they post orders the same day. I don't know what their postage rates are like. I would have used them, except I was impatient to get the Darklands and they didn't have it last week. :D

In both the online preview and the introduction to the darklands in states:

Darklands Page 3:

"Those Darklords not completely dominated by his will were powerless to challange him for the right to ascension to the Obsidian Thron of Helgedad.
At least two other Darklords learned this as their final lesson; Their blankened bones still grace the throne as a symbol of their folly."

Also referencing: p 188 of the Lone Wolf Rpg sourcebook under THe Rise of Vashna:

It says in the second paragraph:

"During his first year as archlord, the Darklords drop from 20 to 17 in number; two die at his hand. One is torn apart for the capital crime of questioning his decisions in battle and the other is detonated after he has the temerity to seek the Ebon throne for himself"

So why not include Vashna and why is there 19 darklords in the Darklands book when there should, for consistancy sake, be only 16. Missing would be the three who died in Vashna's first year and Vashna himself.

Also, if there is an unknown darklord ruling Maakanmire, shouldn't he also be absent from the darklands book or at least letting us know who it is?
To respond I know there were originally 20. My question is the source book and the intro to the darklands book both say that there should be 17 if not 16 after Vashna's death. So this brings about more questions? Who were the 3 that died of the original 20? Why are their 19 now? If 3 died, were 3 more created by Naar to take the places of those who were killed? Who were these new 3? Will they be covered in a Darklords supplement in the future like the ones TSR did for Netheril etc.

As for maps, you are right there is a map of Helgedad but no make that details anything else about the darklords. The more I read the Darklands supplement the more thrown together and inconsistant it seems. I did like the Prophecy though. Here is another question. We know that Vashna had a mighty magical axe so is that him on the front page of the Darklands or is that a Helghast? If he does grace the cover why not cover him as a sidebar in the book?

So Unc and Ghurch die in the civil war after Haakon is killed. Where is this info from?

Ok so I'm still confused:

Vashna comes to power and 3 darklords die in the first year: 17(Core book/darklands)
Vashna dies at the hand of King Ulnar : 16 (core book/darklands)
Zagarna dies at the hand of Lone Wolf: 15 (Fire on the Water)
Haakon dies at the hand of Lone Wolf: 14 (Shadows on the Sands)
Unc and Ghurch die in the Civil War: 12
Kraagenskul dies at the hands of Lone Wolf: 11
Taktaal dies at the hands of Lone Wolf: 10
Gnaag dies at the hands of Lone Wolf:9
All the rest presumably die when the transfusor and Helgedad is obliterated. Does the darklord of Maakanmire survive since he could be in his domain still? If so who was he or is he?
Ok so that still according to all of the sources leaves 17 alive after Vashna's first year and 16 alive after Vashna dies. So shouldn't there only be 16 now?

Ah so the Haakan-Slutar civil war lone wolf paawn thing and the Unc/Ghruch death were in the Legends of Lone Wolf books that fleshed out the gamebooks. I'll have to figure out where to find these and read them ;)

Raethryn, first thank you much for your kind words.

Second, the two Darklords killed by Vasha is a note taken directly from the source material I had to work with and othe rnotes found along the way to researching the book. It was my assumption (and nothing was ever revealed to prove or disprove it) that they were either two existing Darklords rebirthed by Naar or two unnamed Darklords repleaced after their demise.

It appears that, at least in the time before Lone Wolf, Naar took a very direct hand in the lives/deaths of the Darklords and was fully capable of bringing them back time and again as long as they were not slain by an "act of the Light" such as Ulnar and the Sommerswerd.

Because I did not have any direct answers, I chose the path of least resistance and simply noted what I had uncovered. If it really bothers you that the number is inconsistent (and it is, I agree), take the option I have personally and assume that the two were Haakon and Zagarna (both of whom were then brought back by Naar after torment in the Dark and watched carefully by Vashna thereafter).

I did not mention this in the book because I wanted to leave it to Games Master interpretation. When in doubt, I like to leave things as open as I can to give you judges more room to work with.

I am at least happy you liked the Prophecy.

-August

Just to let you know August,

I really enjoy your writing. I think your doing a fine job. I just think that the map and art issue could be cleared up by who ever else is in charge and the books would be wonderful! It's just tough to find all the locations mentioned when i don't have a map.

Let me clarify my moents because now to me it sounds like I was a bit rough on ya. Being the rabid avid fan I am, I have high expectations. Darklands was high on my list and since I'm also big on consistancy and infomation, I was just frustrated by the direction without explaination. However, I did enjoy almost all of the book and will use it in my coming campaigns. Question for you August..any idea when we might see something that covers Mr Vashna? And is that Vashna on the cover?

To the best of my knowledge, that's an artist's interpretation of a very powerful Helghast. After seeing it, I was immediately reminded of Unc's lightning spear so in my mind's eye, this is a favoured minion of Unc's returning to Helgedad to report. Just my interpretation...

And yes, you will eventually be seeing Vashna. The plan (at least for me) is to make him the subject of a nice short article for S&P.

Take care,
-A

Mongoose August said:
And yes, you will eventually be seeing Vashna. The plan (at least for me) is to make him the subject of a nice short article for S&P.

Take care,
-A

Awesome! In which issue of S&P is the first LW article scheduled (even tentatively) to appear?

Back