My answer to hyperspace Travel

Agamemnon_B5 said:
While we're on the topic of hyperspace, I was wondering about a few things.

Larger ships can create their own jumpoints in and out of hyperspace. It would be feasible that they travel along a beacon so they have a general idea of where they are going. But how do they know where to jump out of hyperspace using a self made jump point without running into anything? Also, if a ship with jump point capability gets lost, couldn't they just jump out of hyperspace, find the nearest jump gate and try again?

Ships need a jump engin to create a jump point to enter and leave hyperspace.

My understanding is that the jump gates are like lighthouses or beacons that emit a signal which can be picked up in hyperspace but the signal is strongest between two beacons or jump gates. So, you could be off the signal stream and not know how to find the nearest beacon's signal. Remember that space is three dimentional and finding a streatched string from one side of th room to another would be difficult for a blind fly.

My understanding is that Explorer ships use special sensors to detect large masses (stars) and jump out "near" them. Explore the nearby area and if it looks promising they can create a new jump gate/beacon.

I don't see any reason that you couldn't jump out of hyperspace anytime but there is a lot of space between starts. Light years of empty space.

Sidney

The way I thought about it and plan to do it is as follows:

acc + Handling + Sensors = Y times 2.5. = % reduction in time.

I feel that all these are critical to traveling hyperspace.

in regards to using sensors as a maximum speed cap....well, that is already done. If your sensors are +3, then they only add 3 to the equation to figure out your max speed. If you only have +3, then you can't add +6 to the equation.

If, for example, a vorlon ship had +10 to sensors, then it should be able to navigate hyperspace much faster, using its thrusters and handling to its utmost. I think of it as the person with the better sensors has the most detailed map and knows the best roads to take to avoid the swirls and eddies of hyperspace. If someone had +15 to their sensors, then they can see an even clearer map.

Abraxus

acc + Handling + Sensors = Y times 2.5. = % reduction in time.

While your formula is simple, I don't agree with that Handling and Sensors would reduce the time the same way acc would.

Sidney

Actually you can't just jump back into space because hyperspace and "real" space don't seem to touch every where.

Remember, they talk about "deep hyperspace" a few times in the show.

My understanding is that even a jump engine equiped ship can't jump back from deep HS, since it isn't connected to our dimension. Remember that episode in crusades where they found the "Mosoleum".

Or the one where that space jock who dies at the end of season 3 acts a relay for some other ship (which was capable of jumping).

Also, jumping in or out requires you to know where point A and B are. Otherwise, you'd end up anywhere in both dimensions.

Now Doctor Who might like to travel that way, but most people find it an impractical means of moving around.

Being lost in space is just as bad as being lost in hyperspace, eventually your supplies will run out and you'll die.

After reading all of these posts, I have come to a conclusion. It truly does not matter what formula you use to figure your passage through hyperspace, just as long as you are consistant and that it makes sense to your idea of hyperspace.

There really is not enough specific information out there on hyperspace to put a truly authentic technique together. Although I think my technique will be the following:

((Acceleration-3)+(Handling-2)+(Sensors-2)x2.5=%decrease in travel time

The reason I tossed in the minuses was because there has to be a baseline for the travel times that are listed. Otherwise, all ships would travel in less time then the travel times listed.

I can see your point Dag'Nabbit on the minuses in there. There are some ships that can't make the trip faster.

And El Cid, I can see why handling and sensors get factored in. Sensors get added to allow the ship to see whatever goofiness is in hyperspace in front of it and the handling gives the ship a chance to go around it (remember hyperspace beacons are still energy transmissions, there is some leeway on the signal). How that translates is a more maneuverable will be able to go around hyperspace events at a good clip while a flying brick could possibly have to stop at worst and plot a longer arc around the event at best (doing everything possible to stay on the beacon).

Just my thoughts on this.

Back