MRQ1 most useable book for MRQ2?

So, I have the ability to purchase some old Runequest 1 (MRQ1) books. my FLGS has some on the shelf, but I don't want to spend alot of time there standing reading thru the books. Also, I have seen some on the shelves at Barnes and Noble here around Denver as well.

Which ones look the best, have the best art inside, monsters and cults?

And which are full color?

I would consider buying the Lahnkmar if they were in color, too. Are they?

Hi

If I had a choice I would go for any of the Elric and Hawkmoon Books as their magic systems stand alone. I would go for any of the Elder Race books and the Glorantha the Second Age book if you can't get the much better revised edition. The Cults books are very flawed, but could be of use to give you a rough idea of the nature of the cults. The 2nd Monster Book contains some nice creatures, which I am not sure if they are in the new book, but are excellent for Gloranthan games.

Simon

Blackyinkin said:
Hi

If I had a choice I would go for any of the Elric and Hawkmoon Books as their magic systems stand alone. I would go for any of the Elder Race books and the Glorantha the Second Age book if you can't get the much better revised edition. The Cults books are very flawed, but could be of use to give you a rough idea of the nature of the cults. The 2nd Monster Book contains some nice creatures, which I am not sure if they are in the new book, but are excellent for Gloranthan games.

Simon

Finding out the nature of cults is important to me. The thing is, is that I need to get this game going and I feel like I don't have all the info i need to give to my players. Homebrew world adapted from D&D, not really any cults defined. Having the players run willy nilly thru the books and aquire spells is not the desired method.

So, if I buy these books it will give more than enough info to get going? Rules and flawed books aside:

Is the Fluff up to Snuff? I want pictures and myths and at least a few cults to base around my own homebrew religeons/entities/organizations.

The Cults books are Glorantha specific... so if you are using a "home-brew" setting they are likely to be of limited value.

Most Elder Races books have the same problem, as do any of the 'Second Age' books.

Probably the most useful would be 'Cults, Guilds & Factions' as it tells you how to make and design the same.

Lord High Munchkin said:
The Cults books are Glorantha specific... so if you are using a "home-brew" setting they are likely to be of limited value.

Most Elder Races books have the same problem, as do any of the 'Second Age' books.

Probably the most useful would be 'Cults, Guilds & Factions' as it tells you how to make and design the same.

That book will be first on the list, then.

Awesome, thanks

Hi,

I can't beleive I forgot that one, and I worked on it aswell!!! Yes if its homebrew stuff you are developing then this book is a must. Also the spells in MRQ2 are generic enough to adapt to most fantasy faiths etc. and the nature of the spells is easy enough to develop your own versions, so Rain is easily adapted to a Snow spell, a Wrack could do as a Harry Potter style curse spell and so forth.

Simon

So, I picked up Guilds Factions and Cults yesterday.

I wish I had this book 15 years ago!

I know that i have permission to copy the "faction Sheet" but does anyone know where to get the electronic file of just the sheet?

For that matter, how about any of the MRQ1 sheets?

I want that sheet since 3 years ago. I think that you will not be able to find it. If you do, please notify it and share it with us ;)

OOPS!

it does not say feel free to copy for personal use on any part of the MGP8160 final page.

That means copyright infringement.

I will just reproduce a hand written copy every time I need one :wink:

Back