MRQ review in Roolipelaaja (Roleplayer) magazine, Finland

Jason's deluxe BRP is not a reprint of third edition RQ, it is a stand alone generic BRP game.

I think there may be entirely separately a RQ3 reprint, but it's not the same thing.

I find it odd people say this isn't Runequest. It obviously is, personally I preferred second edition to third but this is no more different to earlier editions than third was different to second.

I find it similar. I am punching out sections of the rules to add to my BRP homebrew with no difficulty. Specifically the chargen and the monster hit points and skills. And the ap/hp of the weapons. I just wish I didn't have the number of little gripes with the system that I do.

Balbinus said:
I find it odd people say this isn't Runequest. It obviously is, personally I preferred second edition to third but this is no more different to earlier editions than third was different to second.

+1

There are BRP Monographs available on the Chaosium site and they are just reprints of the AH RQ3 books, with any mention of Glorantha removed.

While the new BRP may be in playtesting, it apparently has been for years. Playtesting is cheap. Bringing a printed product to market is not. Until Chaosium coughs up the dough to publish it, I would consider its status uncertain.

And really, how much play testing is needed? Hasn't it been playtested for almost 30 years now? Or is it going to be that different from previous BRP's (in which case people will howl, just like with MRQ).

It is one of the best systems out there, and all "modern developments" don't change that. Sure there are More good systems than in 1978, but BRP is still one of the best.

Vadrus said:
Infact the three runes a worshipper of the Storm God needs to cast the cult spells shown are Stasis?, Mastery and Chaos??
I think you may have found one of the downsides of MQ -- the Storm King isn't Orlanth from Glorantha, and Chaos is probably more representative of randomness in nature over the more Gloranthan concept of entropy.

I still find the 3d6 Disruption hard to believe -- it seems to be on par with Sever Spirit. And you can get it from something you stub your toe on as you walk down the road?

Does MQ allow for spell resistance? Since there's no Resistance table, it can't be POW vs. POW -- is it RuneCasting vs. Resillience? (which in itself seems frought with problems).

Urox said:
Does MQ allow for spell resistance? Since there's no Resistance table, it can't be POW vs. POW -- is it RuneCasting vs. Resillience? (which in itself seems frought with problems).

Specific spells pells my be resisted with either Resilience, Persistance, or Dodge (the spell specifies which skill is used to resist).

Rurik said:
Urox said:
Specific spells pells my be resisted with either Resilience, Persistance, or Dodge (the spell specifies which skill is used to resist).
I have to wrap my head around this, but it sounds like a blending of AD&D's Saving Throws and Opposed Skills.

Also, is the Halving Rule going to going have any weirdness?

I guess without the POW vs. POW roll, there is no mechanism for boosting spells (i.e spending extra MPs to overcome your target)?

Enpeze said:
atgxtg said:
I'm not so sure the two games will convert easily. MRQ has enough changes and special abilities that character mightnot translate so easily. THew differences in how skill checks are awarded will make RQ/BRP character more skilled in a borad-based way as compared to MRQ character, who will probably have more concetrated skill ratings.

Enpeze said:
Well, I am not so sure. As GM I can alway oversee the things and allow my players only skills which are logical to improve. (eg. skills they have used in the game) Even if the MRQ basic rule say that the player has a free choice which skill to improve, I use my GMs power to regulate this a little bit.

I think you missed my point. I wasn't taking about player advancement, but just how easy it will be for a GM to do the conversion. That you can convert from one game to the other (from any game to the other) is a given. How easy that conversion will be is a differenrt matter.

atgxtg said:
Enpeze said:
The next big step in BRP is surely DBRP which should be out till Xmas I think.

THat's a safe call. It is really the only step in BRP. It will be interesting to see how DBRP and MRQ affect each other. It could be mutually benficial, or you could see the RQ community split up into camps with one side refusing to buy products from the other. Probably a bit of both.

Enpeze said:
This is a harsh word, because it means that MRQ is not BRP. As far as I can see this system now, I dont agree. MRQ is not farther from BRP than say Pendragon.

MRQ isn't BRP. It might be RQ derived, but it is not BRP. Pendragon isn't BRP, nor is Call of Cthulhu, Nephilim, RuneQuest, ElfQuest, Ringworld or Stormbringer. They are related, but different games. I'd say most of the above are close to BRP than MRQ, with the possible exceptions of Nephilim and Pendragon. IMO Pendragon is a bit closer to BRP than MRQ, but it is still a lot more differenrt from BRP than, say Stormbringer.

Enpeze said:
Regarding to the influence both system will have to each other, I think this will be a very good one especially for BRP. MRQ brings many new players interested in "our gritty" way to play roleplaying games. So BRP and of course chaosium could profit from this in the long run. Of course they can screw it (its obviously that their marketing abilities are not as high as their abilities in game design) but I hope not.

If there are 2 camps with fanatical followers which shun each other, maybe this could be, but I would not overestimate it. The division happened even with RQ (pro and contra Glorantha) and it happened with Glorantha (pro and contra HQ) so it seems to be a normal human (orlanthi?) way to behave.

You seem to believe that MRQ will automatically "bring many new players interested in 'our gritty' way to play". Why? It might bring many new players into the fold, but it might just bring some.

I think one of the things about the latest incarnation of RQ that makes it differnert from the schisms in the past is that this time the Chaosium designers are not the ones making the transition. Even with HQ, they had Greg Stafford controlling things. With a OGL, we don't have just Mongoose, but every other company out there capable of putting stuff out. While more chooices sounds good, it has caused a lot of headaches for d20, with many poor quality products. Since most new players base thier judgements on the things they see when flipping through the book, we better hope that there is more good stuff out there then bad.

Balbinus said:
Jason's deluxe BRP is not a reprint of third edition RQ, it is a stand alone generic BRP game.

I think there may be entirely separately a RQ3 reprint, but it's not the same thing.
Thanks for the info, I didn't realize that it was going to be a new BRP.

Balbinus said:

Obsious in what way, becuase it has the name on the cover? Functionally, the game uses completely differenrt rules from any other RQ or BRP product. If that is obviously RuneQuest, then there are several other RPGs (HARN, FASA's Star Trek, James Bond RPG, Phoenix Command) that are "obviously" RuneQuest too!

atgxtg said:
Functionally, the game uses completely differenrt rules from any other RQ or BRP product. If that is obviously RuneQuest, then there are several other RPGs (HARN, FASA's Star Trek, James Bond RPG, Phoenix Command) that are "obviously" RuneQuest too!

Wow.

I submit that the differences between RQ3 and MRQ are of a magnitude not very different from the differences between RQ3 and RQ2.

I remember very similar arguments being had at the time RQ3 was released from all the RQ2 fans.

iamtim said:
[
Wow.

I submit that the differences between RQ3 and MRQ are of a magnitude not very different from the differences between RQ3 and RQ2.

I remember very similar arguments being had at the time RQ3 was released from all the RQ2 fans.

I'd refute that submission too. Rule system wise, RQ3 is fairly close to RQ2. It is in the change of setting that RQ3 really diverges from RQ2 (not Glorantha-based).

MRQ has altered every apspect of the RQ game.

How is it more obviously RQ than HARN?

Urox said:
Rurik said:
Urox said:
Specific spells spells my be resisted with either Resilience, Persistance, or Dodge (the spell specifies which skill is used to resist).
I have to wrap my head around this, but it sounds like a blending of AD&D's Saving Throws and Opposed Skills.

Also, is the Halving Rule going to going have any weirdness?

I guess without the POW vs. POW roll, there is no mechanism for boosting spells (i.e spending extra MPs to overcome your target)?

You can overcharge spells, with the following affects (all apply per MP):

+1 to magnitude for purposes of opposing countermagic/dispel magic.

-10% to the targets resistance test (dodge, persistence, or resilience)

+1 to duration if the spell has a duration.

The resistance test(saving throw if you will) is does not appear to be opposed, so the halving rule does not apply. -10% per MP boost is more than the 5% you would get from the RQ2/3 resistance table.

Also, I imagine haters of the halving rule who stick with MRQ will have their own alternative house rule in place.

atgxtg said:

Didn't you, just last night, post that you don't even have the MRQ book yet, and that all your information came from this board?

How can you make such a statement if you haven't. even. read. the. book?

iamtim said:
Wow.

Wow.

I couldn't disagree with you more (and I was playing during the transition to RQ3).

If you consider the defining mechanics of RuneQuest to only be Skill% based checks, with the additions of hit locations, active defenses and damage reduction, then MQ is RQ.

I think many of of feel that a few of the changes (XP awards instead of skill checks, no total HP, restriced and low-success magic, no Resistance table, uber loot runes, splitting attack %) are fairly significant.

Yes, RQ3 lost Defense, changed the skill skill modifiers, added more special successes, and over-complicated character creation, but pale next to the sweeping changes in MQ.

I am starting to think the best analogy for MQ is RQ1 -- it's got a lot of new ideas, but needs more actual play to get out the kinks (and an editor!).

iamtim said:
atgxtg said:

Didn't you, just last night, post that you don't even have the MRQ book yet, and that all your information came from this board?

How can you make such a statement if you haven't. even. read. the. book?

Based on the information revealed. Generating attributes is differenrt, previous experience is differenrt, skill bases are diffiernt, characteric rolls are gone, general Hit point are gone, new magic system, new way of handling skill checks, new method of handling parrying and dodging, opposed rolls, skill halving, no more special successes, no resistance table, no skill categories, skill checks are assigned rather than earned, the addtion of hero points, the addtion of legendary abilties.

That's what I got from the board.

Can someone show me one rule or stat that hasn't been changed?

iamtim said:
Urox said:
I couldn't disagree with you more

Then we will have to agree to disagree. And that's OK.

Yeah, but my point of contention was with you statment that you found it odd that poele could say that MRQ isn't RQ when it obviously is RQ.

It isn't quite that onbvious. An RQ2 player could sit in with a RQ3 group and play with only minor adjustments. Functionally the game was almost the same. An RQ2 or 3 player sitting down into an MRQ session really doen't know the game.

SteveMND said:
Well, you still use a d100 to roll your skill checks. :)

Not that the results work the same way. I can see some, "What do you mean he beat me, I got a special success?" situations cropping up with experienced RQers.

Back