Movement rate?

ExInferis

Mongoose
There is a reference to listed base land speed and it should be determined by race and armor. Where can I find this land speed that refers to races? I thought all races had the same base at 30 from the start or am I missing something?

Page 166, Tactical Movement, Atlantean Edition

/ExInferis

All the races in the core rulebook have a base speed of 30'. If, for some reason, there ever were another race with a different base speed it would list that speed under their racial qualities.

Hope that helps.

Indeed, the base speed for humans without armor is 30 feet per round. See AE listing for Speed in the Combat section at pg 151.

Just for reference: all races have a base speed of 30', barbarians have a base speed of 40', a character with a favoured terrain (borderer or nomad) with a +2 bonus on a favoured terrain gain a +10 to their base movement speed, if the bonust to fav terrain is +4 the bonus is increased to +20'. Just think of it a barbarian-borderer with enough borderer levels could have a base speed of 60' in one of his favoured terrains! The fleet footed feat increases your base speed by +10' each time you take it, a character can take it up to 3 times and the bonus stacks. The Forest Runner prestige class from Across Thunder River, is based on speed in the wilderness. There were combat styles in Hyboria's Fiercest that granted base speed bonus to borderers, and There is a feat Quick Stealth, which allows you to move up to your base speed without taking the usual -5 penalty to move silently. All this can make a 'woodsman' very elusive in his own ground, since most other characters will usually get penalties in difficult terrains.

Trodax said:
Voltumna said:
... barbarians have a base speed of 40'...
Thats the case in D&D, but not in Conan, IIRC.

dang it, we have always considered the base speed of barbarians to be 40'.

i am checking the movement section, and i hadn't realized the difference between running (x3) -running pace for character in heavy armour- and running (x4) -running pace for character in light or no armour- i guess running (x3) also applies to characters in medium armour? it doesn't say.

also, per table 6-4, speed is limited by armour, only a light armoured or unarmoured character moves at 30', character with heavy or medium armour move at 25'.

that is interesting, a borderer or thief wearing light armour, would have a greater speed than more heavily armoured characters like soldiers, and maybe barbarians.

say while a thief in light armour could move at 90' without incurring penalties to dv (30x3 not yet running speed, thus keeping dex bunus to dv) a pursuing soldier in medium armour moving at running pace (x3) moves at 75', and looses dex bonus to dv.

A lightly armoured thief can outrun a heavily armoured guard - which is why almost all guards are lightly armoured unless they are mounted. City guards generally don't tromp around in plate armour unless they also have horses.

Voltumna said:
i guess running (x3) also applies to characters in medium armour? it doesn't say.
I'm pretty sure running in medium armour should be x4, giving a total breakdown of:
No armour/light armour 30' (x4)
Medium armour 25' (x4)
Heavy armour 25' (x3)

IIRC, there is something wrong with the description of the Run feat, which can confuse things (don't have my book in front of me).

Voltumna said:
say while a thief in light armour could move at 90' without incurring penalties to dv (30x3 not yet running speed, thus keeping dex bunus to dv)
Hmmm... I think this Thief could only move 60' without taking a DV penalty (by using two Move actions). If he wanted to move further than that (anything between 60-120'), he would have to use a full-round action to run, which would deny him Dodge/Parry.
Maybe not that big of a deal, but I'm bored at work... :wink:

Trodax said:
No armour/light armour 30' (x4)
Medium armour 25' (x4)
Heavy armour 25' (x3)

That makes sense

Trodax said:
IIRC, there is something wrong with the description of the Run feat, which can confuse things (don't have my book in front of me).

I wasn't refering to a thief using the run feat. The feat only says that you can run up to 5 times your base speed, and that you keep your dex bonus to dv.

Trodax said:
Hmmm... I think this Thief could only move 60' without taking a DV penalty (by using two Move actions). If he wanted to move further than that (anything between 60-120'), he would have to use a full-round action to run, which would deny him Dodge/Parry.

What means: running (x4) running pace for lightly armoured or unarmoured character then?

I was thinking you could use a feat of strenght to push your speed beyond your normal limit. If you spent a point or two of strenght you could add a +10' to base movement.

Voltumna said:
Trodax said:
I wasn't refering to a thief using the run feat. The feat only says that you can run up to 5 times your base speed, and that you keep your dex bonus to dv.
Well, what I meant was that the feat description says that you run at (x5) when in no or light armour and (x4) when in medium or heavy armour, which would mean that you get no benefit at all from the feat if you wear medium armour. This was an error in D&D that was carried over to Conan, but later cleared up in errata. It should say that, if you have the Run feat, you run at (x5) when in no, light or medium armour, and at (x4) when in heavy armour.

Voltumna said:
Trodax said:
What means: running (x4) running pace for lightly armoured or unarmoured character then?
A character with a speed of 30' can move up to 30' in one Move action (well, duh! :) ). If he wants to move further than that, he can use two Move actions in a round to move up to 60'. This means he can't do anything else that turn, but he will still be able to Dodge/Parry, since he isn't running yet.
If he want's to move even further than that, he will have to use the Run action, which is a full-round action that denies Dodge/Parry (AE, page 161). In this case he can move up to 120' if in no, light or medium armour (30'x4), or 90' if in heavy armour (30'x3).

Back