More on Divine Magic

I only want to point out in regard to a posting earlier in this thread: ranks determine up to what magnitude you can get divine magic, see page 80 of the rulebook. To get spells greater than magnitude 8 you must be a runepriest or -lord.

You might be right about that, Rosen, but then it would still be the advantage of being able to use 8+ point magnitude rune spells, because the others are limited to 2/4 point runemagic.

(I was only automatically associating runelord/-priest with divine magic from my RQ 3 campaign, where use of divine magic was the hallmark of these ranks.)

Vatras said:
I only want to point out in regard to a posting earlier in this thread: ranks determine up to what magnitude you can get divine magic, see page 80 of the rulebook. To get spells greater than magnitude 8 you must be a runepriest or -lord.

I concur with the other comment that this applies to Rune Magic only.

In fact, I think it's just sloppy wording. The Initiate Benefits sections says that they get automatic access to tutors for up to 4 points of Rune magic, I think the Runepriest section is just intedned to extend this up to 8 points.

To be clear, I think the cults provide half price training up to a certain threshold depending on you're rank, but that this shouldn't be construed as a cap on how high you can be tought, only a cap on the subsidy.

The sction on Rune Magic clearly shows that you can learn spells above 8 points, and I don't see why cults would put an absolute restriction on their members, when you can clearly learn spells to any level you like from independent tutors. That would be nonsensical.

What independent tutors? The text under the Runelord/-priest heading may be vague about what magic, but it is clear about the point limit. The table at the start of the runemagic section has to be complete, or would you print it under the various abilities...?
Anyway, that is what is written under the hero ebilities, and therefore the advantage of having them, which is what was asked for originally. You can ignore that text of course...but what would be the point of joining a cult then? If anyone can teach you to any level, why would you spend 50% of time and income?

Back