Merchant Prince

Jame Rowe said:
I tried to order Merchant Prince from my LGS but the owner's distributor does not carry Mongoose products. Damn!
Strangely, Mongoose books are the only books I don't buy from Amazon UK. In Newcastle, there are two FLGS on Grainger Street (Travelling Man, Forbidden Planet) and I buy stuff from them.

IanBruntlett said:
Jame Rowe said:
I tried to order Merchant Prince from my LGS but the owner's distributor does not carry Mongoose products. Damn!
Strangely, Mongoose books are the only books I don't buy from Amazon UK. In Newcastle, there are two FLGS on Grainger Street (Travelling Man, Forbidden Planet) and I buy stuff from them.

Well, there are two things you have that I am jealous of. Two FLGS and the ability to get a cold pint of Old Peculiar whenever you like.

DeadMike said:
I have no idea why they did not send out both books to the others here. first thought was that my order was both books together, but Dark Lord Skippy said he has both books on the same order number too. Only thing I can think of is that Amazon either didn't order enough books or will be sending out a seperate notice to them later. I only received the one notice with both books being shipped together.

Well, we'll see if I get anything on Monday.

I have to say that, if I do get them within the next week or two, I dont mind a bit. I was getting pretty irritated that I was told by Amazon when I pre-ordered to expect them in late April.... and then after I ordered they changed it to late May. If they can take this back to the original deliver date (which would be next week), I'm cool with it.

DeadMike said:
Jame Rowe said:

I wonder if that's because he feels there isn't enough demand. If you know others in the area that would purchase them from the store too, I would let the owner know. Have each person assure the owner you would purchase them, then make sure you do purchase them from him. Might even be able to get some other gamers interested. Just my thoughts anyway.
Owner's distributor. Getting a few people at one shop to promise to buy is not going to get the distributor to pick up the Mongoose line of products.

Get contact info for the distributor from the owner and pass it along to Mongoose. Let Mongoose try to convince the distributor to carry their products. I believe I've seen a mongoose post in the past indicating this was something they would attempt.

The worst single roll on the Injury table can result in 10 points of stat loss... that's Cr50,000 worth of medical bills, and there is always a chance that the employer will not pay. This level of pain may well result in an injury crisis, slugging you 1d6 x Cr10,000 of extra costs.

Also, while Merchants are one of the safer careers (unless this has changed with Merchant Prince), you might have a character who has done time in another, more dangerous career before or after who has landed one of the "roll twice on the injury table" results and exceeded this. A TRULY unlucky character could lose 2 points from two stats and D6 from the other TWICE off one injury event, plus a resulting injury crisis.

And Merchants are not one of the better careers as far as Cash payout goes - three rolls without Gambler skill gives an average of Cr48,000. Some players may choose to start in debt in order to maximise their Other Benefits table rolls... what's a piddly Cr30,000 medical bill vs even one ship share?

DeadMike said:
Jame Rowe said:

I wonder if that's because he feels there isn't enough demand. If you know others in the area that would purchase them from the store too, I would let the owner know. Have each person assure the owner you would purchase them, then make sure you do purchase them from him. Might even be able to get some other gamers interested. Just my thoughts anyway.

From what I understand, the problem is on the distributor end and not the game store's end.

rinku said:
The worst single roll on the Injury table can result in 10 points of stat loss... that's Cr50,000 worth of medical bills, and there is always a chance that the employer will not pay. This level of pain may well result in an injury crisis, slugging you 1d6 x Cr10,000 of extra costs.

Also, while Merchants are one of the safer careers (unless this has changed with Merchant Prince), you might have a character who has done time in another, more dangerous career before or after who has landed one of the "roll twice on the injury table" results and exceeded this. A TRULY unlucky character could lose 2 points from two stats and D6 from the other TWICE off one injury event, plus a resulting injury crisis.

And Merchants are not one of the better careers as far as Cash payout goes - three rolls without Gambler skill gives an average of Cr48,000. Some players may choose to start in debt in order to maximise their Other Benefits table rolls... what's a piddly Cr30,000 medical bill vs even one ship share?

Yes, I have been lucky the few times I practiced rolling up a character to haven't land on the injury table so far. They can be nasty, Cr5,000 to restore one point of physical stat damage is not anything to laugh at.
As for the payout regarding the merchant career; well that's risk versus reward isn't it? You don't get a lot (discounting a shot at your own Free Trader, free and clear which definitely isn't anything to sneeze at) but on the other hand you can usually make it through character gen without any real lumps.
Moving on, are there any new ship classes we can expect from Merchant Prince?

rinku said:
Also, while Merchants are one of the safer careers (unless this has changed with Merchant Prince)

Merchant Careers in Merchant Prince Survival ranges from 5+ to 7+. Qualification ranges from Int 4+ to Soc 8+. Advancement 5+ to 8+. If this helps Rinku.

Techno-Guru said:
Moving on, are there any new ship classes we can expect from Merchant Prince?

variants of existing classes; 3 in total and a drone.

Most of the work has been put into Corporations; examples and building out your own; as well as into trade.

dreamingbadger said:
variants of existing classes; 3 in total and a drone.

Most of the work has been put into Corporations; examples and building out your own; as well as into trade.

- No need to repeat material from Tradeships and Gunboats I take it? Ah well, something else I might add to my shopping list in the future then.

- So all this complaining about Amazon is not wasted then? We too can create corporations that aggravate a portion of the buying public!

Techno-Guru said:
- So all this complaining about Amazon is not wasted then? We too can create corporations that aggravate a portion of the buying public!

I just hope this is a base line. When the next book comes out, if it comes out at Amazon within a week like this time, that's alright.

Still reading the book, but finding it very enjoyable so far. Especially the part on starting and running a corporation. Found a new enemy as well (slavers).

Techno-Guru said:

I just hope this is a base line. When the next book comes out, if it comes out at Amazon within a week like this time, that's alright.

Still reading the book, but finding it very enjoyable so far. Especially the part on starting and running a corporation. Found a new enemy as well (slavers).

DeadMike said:

I'm surprised Mongoose made that an option. Surprised as slavers, while a common enough foe in sci-fi writing, are not a pleasent bunch by any stretch of the imagination.
Surprised, but not displeased as this gives me some new avenues to explore for antagonists and repentent characters...

Don't forget that rolls on the Injury Table can be paid for by the service, not just the character.

Merchants pay a minimum of 50% of the bill and up to 100% depending on the roll.

DeadMike said:

Certainly one of the more interesting books. There is also a lot of interesting options for various plots - Slavers, Privateering and dodgy merchants to name a few.

Rikki Tikki Traveller said:
Don't forget that rolls on the Injury Table can be paid for by the service, not just the character.

Merchants pay a minimum of 50% of the bill and up to 100% depending on the roll.

Not quite. You still need to roll 4+ (with rank as a DM) to get that 50% coverage. If you're injured early in your career, or are unlucky with promotions, you may still be paying all costs if you roll low...

DeadMike said:
Techno-Guru said:
Sounds interesting. What kind of corporations can we create?

Any kind. It focuses on free trading for obvious reasons, but any corporation can be created.

Thanks, now to go over my plans to create the first intergalactic Microsoft!!!

Back