Map question

Trodax

Mongoose
I have a question for all you Hyborian Age Scholars. On the (very beautiful) map in RoK, why are the "Isle of Iron Statues" and "Xapur - the Fortified" placed so far to the north in the Vilayet Sea?

I've checked out a bunch of different maps on the net (which all differ in various ways), but none of them have this placement. Is there a reason that I'm missing? Especially the placement of Xapur seems to go against what is said in "The Devil in Iron".

The real problem is that Howard did not have an "offical" map. Thus, all maps made have been drawn from information presented in the stories which is often vague or even contradictory.

I'd be curious as to what Hyboria map people consider to be the best.

Um, there are actually at least two errors in the RoK map. Numalia is north from the Road of Kings, but the book itself sais RoK runs through this city. The same goes for Tarantia. Or maybe a trade route doesn't have to run through a city, as long as it's close enough? Dunno.

Another error are the locations of Ayodhya and Peshkauri in Vendhya. I think you have to exchange them, because Peshkauri is the frontier garrison.

I wonder, too, if Howard meant for the Road of Kings to be a metaphor rather than an actual road.

Can anyone come up with a cite from his stories where he says that it's an actual road?

René said:
Another error are the locations of Ayodhya and Peshkauri in Vendhya. I think you have to exchange them, because Peshkauri is the frontier garrison.

Yeah. Don't know were Ayodhya should be, but Peshkhauri should definitely be closer to the Himelian mountains (one hour on horseback according to "The People of the Black Circle"). On other maps, I've actually seen it drawn north of the Jhumbda River, which makes sense since I don't think the river is ever mentioned in TPotBC.

That sounds like an epic quest. To assemble all of the HOWARD stories and data and compile them into a wall sized poster map.

Logistical problems would abound, not to mention the fact that my wife would beat me silly when I started painting on the walls. It's hard enough to stop the kids from doing that...

Back