loans for Speculative Trade?

Yes. Pretty much any lender willing to loan to a player-character spec-trader is going have the middle name "The". You know, Johnny The Fish, Jimmy The Squirrel, Jabba The Hutt...

Plot hook, anyone?

I do not think there are rules, which offers the chance to make some neat houserules for your game.

It makes sense really. Suppose your broker player makes an awesome roll and finds a deal on 30 tons of Advanced Manufactured Goods. They roll 18 on the 3D roll and get 50% of the purchase price. If they could borrow the 1.5 million to buy the goods, they could double the money with an average roll on the selling table.

Maybe you could get a second, or a modified mortgage on your ship? Add the extra debt to the ship's mortgage and get a higher monthly payment. Add in the option to pay back the loan as soon as you make your profit.

And just to add a question. Suppose someone makes a killing in the spec trade market. Can ships be paid off faster to save the interest cost? Does anyone allow this and if so, what penalties do you impose for the faster payment. I know you can pay off a home mortgage faster with a minor penalty, why not extend this to spaceships? :p

I think I’d approach this much like traders in the days of sail. Instead of loans, have the PCs round up investors willing to front the cash in return for a share of the profits. Naturally that sets up some tension - investors will likely seek a deal that minimizes their risk while the PCs will want to at least ensure their expenses are covered.

That work could be an adventure all by itself. Think about The Producers.... :D

An agent of the loan company could be part of the deal. They get a cabin and literally follows the money around. Imagine the players trying to run any scams or adventures while the Company man is around and the players want to appear professional.

I ended up hacking up the GURPS Traveller Far Trader loan rules to work with MgT2: https://www.evernote.com/shard/s91/sh/423686be-c3be-4ca2-a352-4cf3eb229328/a5f3de3cdc5e116beaef40e76ee010d4

Back