Lets see a monster manual before epic rules

A

Anonymous

Come on guys,

I would love to see Grand Master rules just like anyone else. But they're seriously not needed. The game just came out and alot of use aren't even that far to need them. Now I know some of you out there have been running home grown campaigns for a while and need them, but a majority out there need other books before epic rules are needed.

I think the next book after magic of magnamund needs to be a Monster Manual of Magnamund. I want a long list of monsters. Good illustrations! And it'd be nice to have stats on how to play Ogrons, Kloons and other Non-human races in magnamund. I'd also like to see some specialty classes for monsters as well. Like a Gorgoraz (not sure of the spelling) Crusher.

A monster manual is needed. Then regional sourcebooks on different areas so we can explore them. Then maybe a yr down the line we can get epic rules.

sunwolf

...but a majority out there need other books before epic rules are needed.

You've done the market research then? :p :wink:

We've already got a huge thread covering the vast majority of monsters that aren't in the main rulebook. There's your monster manual.

EPIC RULES! NOW!

Although, if they aren't around when I need them, I'll just start my Conan campaign. 8)

To necessitate Epic rules, it would take a yr or two to get to 20th lvl. If your playing the game correctly. Considering how it becomes exponentially difficult to advance lvls after a certain point.

I want official rules on monsters along with templates and rules on playing non humans like ogrons.

sunwolf

First up, let me apologise for playing the game incorrectly.

Secondly, I should point out that:

1. It has been officially stated that August considers 1 level per adventure/book to be appropriate for Lone Wolf.

2. I am running a campaign straight from the books, and the group is keeping pace with Lone Wolf. If we're going to talk "correct", then it doesn't get any "correcter" than that.

At one session per book, that means my group will hit 20 in eight sessions.

Finally, my initial post was somewhat tongue-in-cheek. I had hoped all the smiley conveyed that point. But, arguments regarding the "correct" way to play are, IMO, particularly bad ones.

As to what supplements most players want: neither you nor I actually know. I would guess that Mongoose are capable of making reasonable decisions in this regard (otherwise they aren't going to be around for too long); personally I hope they put out what I need. You are welcome to wish otherwise. :D

Sorry, gotta agree with Sable on this one.

There is no one 'correct' way to play; whatever feels right for your players and yourself is the 'correct' way. If you want to start at 373rd level, and your players agree, then that is 'correct' for you. If you want to start at 1st level and have your players gain 3 levels every session, that is also 'correct'.

Having said that, all of the monster Ordovican and I posted in that thread have been submitted to Mongoose. So who knows, you may see them officialy at some stage!

Another reason for wanting Epic rules "early" would be if you wanted to see what your high-level NPCs were capable of, even if your players were still at L1.

I, too, would favor seeing the Monster Manual before the Epic book, as the former would be useful for low- and high-level game play.

But then, most important is that we get both books (and others, too), while the order of publishing them is not that important.

Confused Wolf said:
But then, most important is that we get both books (and others, too), while the order of publishing them is not that important.

Right! :)

When it comes down to it, I want my complete run of LW books (all fifty or so, including numerous gazetteers, monster books, magic books, class books, epic rules, large campaign books, scenarios... :D ). It's not possible to get them all out tomorrow, and I couldn't afford them all even if it was.

What I wouldn't mind seeing is an official "work in progress" list with, say, the books we're likely to see in 2005.

My vote would be for expanding the setting before expanding the character level threshold. Prominent people, pivotal places and powerful adverseries... then all that pretentious epic stuff! If you feel the need to push your characters from 1st to 20th level in the space of 8 gaming sessions... what are you playing for? The power-mongering or the enjoyment of the setting? I'm not quite sure. I've played games that lasted many months, even years, before the gods started quaking in their boots about our characters arrival...

Costin-U-MOR:

I'm playing for the fun of seeing the group follow in the footsteps of Lone Wolf. Rapid power-scaling is simply a side effect -- one that, importantly, my group happen to be enjoying as a change of pace (for context, one player recently made a comment to the effect that a slower progression, starting at 1st level, is generally preferable).

Many months? I don't consider that a long time before gods start quaking. Shows how opinions can differ from yours in both directions.

And again, I question the need to defend this campaign.

Well meaning or not, insinuations that my group is simply made up of powermongers are baseless; further, the implication that it would be wrong if we were doesn't serve any useful purpose.

And, BTW, it's 13-20 in 8 (longish) sessions.

I think one of the main reasons that a few people want to see epic rules is for the simple fact that we want to see the Grand Master disciplines of the Kai!

Costin-U-MOR-6 said:
My vote would be for expanding the setting before expanding the character level threshold. Prominent people, pivotal places and powerful adverseries...

If you want my opinion (I'm sure you really want it very badly... :p :wink: )... I agree with this point.

I'd prefer read (and use) "gazeteer-like" supplements before more rules. As I'm not very found of too much precise and complete rules (I prefer GMing with feelings and impro rather than 1000 pages rulebooks) I am waiting for more NPC, countries and cities descriptions.

And before all: scenarios!

Thanks for Mat's English accent, we could have one great one within few weeks... :wink:

There will be a 40 page scenario, written by August Hahan for download soon, as per mogoose announcement. They will probably release it in parts, week by week or something.

I have to admit though, while epic rules are nice and all, before all that we need a Might(warriors) of Magnamund to supplement the _extremely_ eagerly awaited magik of magnamund. Otherwise there will be parties of nothing but spellcasters.

We need rangers rogues, mercenaries, duellists etc etc. Not all have to be from the gamebooks, August and mongoose have already shown they can generate their own material if need be, and do it very well. (many abilitites of the kai/magnakai disciplines were not in the gamebooks, but seem to fit in very well.)

After that we can have a bestiary and epic rules, both of which can be released within one month. The bestiary can contain epic mosters as well, to appease thos players like sable whose groups are into epic levels. A large concern of mine is if the new core classes from the supplements, like magik of magnamund, will be dealt with in regards to epic enhancement. I sincerely hope so, and that mongoose addresses this issue.

There is no need to argue amongst each other, since you all seem to want the same books, yet at different timeframes. Until then however, sable, I suggest you gear your party up to fight with Xagash (the water dragon monster in the rulebook) and some darklords. ;)

Before all this however, we need magik of magnamund previews! :shock:

Personally, I really want the Epic Rules soon. Now that is not to say that I don't want the other things mentioned in the post as well. Just that I prioritize the epic rules a bit higher.

Having new monsters to fight and new places to explore and fight said monsters is great, and certainly as time progresses a requirement. But I can also use my imagination for that and the source material, namely the Lonewolf books, to fill in until they are released. The actual rules I can't do that with, trust me I've tried, and so those I need.

Magic supplement, and Epic rules. As well as some type of Might of Magnamund supplement, as another poster mentioned (Great Idea BTW). Those should be the priorities right now, in my mind at least. Give me the rules, then give me places and things to use them on ;) Until then the book is just a good read and an attractive addition to my expanding collection of RP books. I need these additional rules, before I can start telling the stories I want to tell. So, yet another reason to wish to see additional rules first, and an expanding area to use those rules on later.

As for anyone suggesting anybody else is RPing wrong, well thats just plain silly. Different strokes and all that. To each they're own. The whole idea of RP is supposed to be entertainment, like a movie. Not everyone likes the same movies either. Opinions will vary ;)

So to summarize:

After Magic of Magnamund everyone wants to see:

*Gazeteers
*Warriors of Magnamund
*Epic rules
*Adventures/campaign.

Did I miss anything?

Eternalknight said:
Did I miss anything?

Only the book this thread was founded on, a LW Monster Manual :)

Although I'm thinking I'd rather see monsters rolled out in Gazetteers, so when you're playing in Vassagonia you know you have everything you need in the Vassagonia book, and so on.

I just have one nit to pick with Silent Wolf's last post, in that the setting books are probably more important than the rules for a lot of people who are unfamiliar with the original setting. Luckily I'm familiar enough with it but I can imagine a lot of people aren't. On the other hand, I've always found I can make up rules (or borrow them from elsewhere) a lot easier than I can make up background material (especially when it's for a game where the players may be familiar with certain aspects and be ready to argue with me when I get the name of the 38th King of Wherever wrong :) ).

I think Gazetteers are the way to go, but ensure that everything needed for that area of the world is needed (including all character classes and spells/epic rules for them), rather than splitting everything into books of classes, magic, monsters, etc, as that way you really need to have every single book on the table in order to play the game. It also makes it easier once you have one Gazetteer done to have multiple authors working on the others as they have a "template" to follow.

mthomason said:
I think Gazetteers are the way to go, but ensure that everything needed for that area of the world is needed (including all character classes and spells/epic rules for them), rather than splitting everything into books of classes, magic, monsters, etc,

That's it!
This is the best solution in order to have something easily usable... as far as I'm concerned I like this idea.

Back