Let's just call it "Traveller", shall we?

captainjack23 said:
does anyone here think Mongoose is selling a lifestyle ?

Not to completely derail the thread, but. . .

This is actually something we have been looking at. Almost every hobby or pastime 'sells' a lifestyle along with the actual product.

Hobby games do not or, at best (worst), they portray a negative sterotype. The geek. The unwashed gamer. WotC recently launched an advert that targeted WoW players, but did so in a way that suggested solitary geekdom, and how geeks should unite.

We thoroughly reject that idea here at Mongoose. If someone (say) knows almost everything there is to know about Russia in the 1940's, for no other reason than he plays a _game_, we think that is pretty funky. That guy is _smart_.

As another parallel, we are very big fans of Top Gear here at Mongoose, and we think they have hit a tremendous nail on the head. For those of you who remember the original Top Gear, the new series with the Hamster and Co. are streets ahead - indeed, you might argue it is one of the best things on British TV at the moment (they certainly have a worldwide audience _much_ larger than the population of the UK).

The new Top Gear was built around one fundamental idea - that there are no really bad cars any more, so they would concentrate on which cars were _cool_ and what they said about their owners.

That was a good idea.

And I think it can be applied to games.

Now, we have been looking at all sorts of ways of doing this (including a Top Gear-style video podcast thing) with games, but we have not got it locked yet.

However, the fundamental point is this. Yes, you can be a geek and play hobby games. But most players aren't.

Especially if they play Traveller, of course. That automatically identifies you as intelligent, well-educated, and likely to be successful in your working life. Not like those dorks who play Conan. . .

(Of course, we tell Conan players that they are real red-blooded men who will drink Traveller players under the table, and then pinch their women).

You get the idea. . .

msprange said:
captainjack23 said:
does anyone here think Mongoose is selling a lifestyle ?

Not to completely derail the thread, but. . .

(Of course, we tell Conan players that they are real red-blooded men who will drink Traveller players under the table, and then pinch their women).

You get the idea. . .

I guess you don't know my woman...or is your point that Conan players are inherently suicidal ?

Why does everything have to always be so polarized here?

Why can’t I elect to keep calling it Mongoose Traveller without having to be a dumb person or a person who does not embrace change? Or any of the other insults tossed out here?

Why can’t some folks start to call it just Traveller without it being some malicious plot of some kind?

Call it what ever you want, just do not be mad at others for calling it something different.

Daniel

dafrca said:
Why does everything have to always be so polarized here?

Why can’t I elect to keep calling it Mongoose Traveller without having to be a dumb person or a person who does not embrace change? Or any of the other insults tossed out here?

Why can’t some folks start to call it just Traveller without it being some malicious plot of some kind?

Call it what ever you want, just do not be mad at others for calling it something different.

Daniel
AMEN!
I'm a gamer.. Since I started playing games in the early 60's, I guess I am "old-school" to some, but it doesn't mean that I am inflexible about game mechanics or hwo to play or anything like that... I look at it as "having lots of hands-on experiance playing games."

I also liked what Matt wrote. Both at my gaming table and at Stores & Cons I run games at... I'm always telling gamers that "gamer stink" is NOT a badge of honor, it's just disgusting and not all gamers have failed to learn the simple skill of regularly bathing.

When it comes to who's buying a game system (old or new system), their age (old or young), their experiance in gaming (old-school vs newbie) or what-not debates like this thread has devolved to only fracture our community and waste everyone's time.

Maybe this thread should be locked and put to rest?

the people who don't like to move beyond the status quo, and the people who are willing to change and adapt

"don't like to move beyond the status quo" = negative portrayal
"willing to change and adapt" = positive portrayal

It could also be:

"like to use existing resources to their fullest" - positive
"don't like stability and using what's already available" - negative.

How about:

so-called "Old Guard" = likes using existing materials to their fullest
so-called "New Wave" = likes to try new things
?

There's pros and cons to each view. If we focus on the positive and respectfully point out perceived negatives, it'd be easier for all of us to learn things and maybe want to try the other view on for size.
139.gif

(Did I make my Diplomat skill check? :) )

But enough of that... back to Traveller.

My motivation in wanting to call the game Traveller rather than Mongoose Traveller, MGT, RTT or whatever is simply to say "this is the game now". I certainly never intended to say or imply that fans of older editions are idiots or anything. I like D&D 4th edition...I also helped with Labyrinth Lord and run that when I can. I certainly don't have an issue with older editions of D&D.

Also frankly, Traveller is easier to type than having to add qualifiers every time you do. I was simply saying what I planned to do. Whatever anyone else wants to do is fine with me.

Allen

rgd said:
the people who don't like to move beyond the status quo, and the people who are willing to change and adapt

Point taken, but that's just how I see it. I guess I could put it more diplomatically, but the vibe I've got from the old guard is of a general unwillingness to move beyond the status quo, and I've got a vibe of definitely wanting to change and adapt from others. But to be honest, I don't have much motivation to wrap things up in cotton wool for people - it seems that people get offended or insulted by the tiniest things on the internet (like a proposal to change the label of a game, for example), and I've found that it's just not worth trying to appease everyone because it's generally doomed to failure. So I just tell it how I see it (which granted people tend to take the wrong way anyway, but takes a lot less time to write and is much more honest).

I'm sure one could ascribe other motivations to them but that's what it ultimately seems to boil down to for me. if the 'old guard' get offended by that characterisation then perhaps they could try to not come across as being so resistant to change, but until they do that then I'll continue to characterise them that way.

And here we seem to have some terminology problem, because the
people considering themselves "Old Guard" because they have been
playing Traveller for a very long time are not necessarily the people
you consider "Old Guard" because they are unwilling to change some-
thing. :shock:

I think I'll stick with Mongoose Traveller just like I stick with Mongoose Runequest.

It also does the Mongoose good to be identified with the current product instead of being confused with a long dead company like GDW or Imperium Games.

Border Reiver said:
It also does the Mongoose good to be identified with the current product instead of being confused with a long dead company like GDW or Imperium Games.

This.

There are differences between the versions of Traveller, and disambiguation is oft required. In context, one can mostly determine which version of Traveller you are referring to, but not always.

Mongoose Traveller is as much Traveller as any other version, as all versions that came before Mongoose Traveller are also Traveller.

EDG said:
rgd said:

Point taken, but that's just how I see it.

You don't convince people of your point by insulting them.

vargr1 said:
You don't convince people of your point by insulting them.

I'm not insulting them - they're taking it as an insult. Like I said, I can't control what people infer from my statements, but I'm not implying any insults here.

But since some people seem intent on misreading and misrepresenting everything I say on the subject, I don't think there's anything to be gained by defending myself further here.

a silly thread, imho

its ALL 'traveller'
but when discussing rules and variants, its helpful to differentiate the various rules.

so, unless you're talking abut a specific ruleset, then its just 'Traveller"

whats so hard about that?

As long as we're clear enough about what version we are actually referring too, it's all good as far as I can see (as in saying Traveller here is pretty obvious you mean Mongoose Traveller. Somewhere like CoTI on the other hand, is a different kettle of fish altogether :p ).

I honestly think this thread has gone about as far as it can go, and is just wizzing around in circles now. We each have our own opinions, and will use the name we prefer.

Ishmael said:
its ALL 'traveller'
but when discussing rules and variants, its helpful to differentiate the various rules.

Amen.

Isn't this the same bus that certain people on the TML drove that caused a bunch of us to move over to a separate X-Boat list during the TNE years?

How about we agree that no one's going to come over to my house and take away my Traveller collection, and you can call your game Traveller, and I can call my game Traveller, and we're both right?

Admittedly, we can both pick on the GURPS and T20 fans, but DO NOT make fun of my Traveller ruleset with Pat Benatar and the members of the 80's band "A Flock of Seagulls" on the cover.

donm61873 said:
Isn't this the same bus that certain people on the TML drove that caused a bunch of us to move over to a separate X-Boat list during the TNE years?

How about we agree that no one's going to come over to my house and take away my Traveller collection, and you can call your game Traveller, and I can call my game Traveller, and we're both right?

Admittedly, we can both pick on the GURPS and T20 fans, but DO NOT make fun of my Traveller ruleset with Pat Benatar and the members of the 80's band "A Flock of Seagulls" on the cover.

wait...Rebellion sourcebook, right ? Or was that "Mullet force 5 from Navaronne" ?

The coolest thing about MegaTraveller is that no one wants to duplicate it's look...

I really tried to convince someone to create a "MegaTraveller" java cover generator, where it would slap 80's album covers under a MegaTraveller logo with the name of the book in that odd font...

8)

donm61873 said:
The coolest thing about MegaTraveller is that no one wants to duplicate it's look...

I really tried to convince someone to create a "MegaTraveller" java cover generator, where it would slap 80's album covers under a MegaTraveller logo with the name of the book in that odd font...

8)

I'd buy that for a dollar :)

Back