Legend: Pain and resisting a close and grappling

Zash

Mongoose
For the Legend system:

Ok, here is the situation. Character A just had their leg seriously wounded by character B, and cannot attack for 3 rounds. A's next defense is a critical, and manages to push B back with bash opponent. B is using a shorter weapon than A, so has to close in to attack. Would A be able to resist B's closing with a weapon skill? Or is that an attack that would be blocked by the pain from the serious wound?

Second, if someone grapples their opponent, what range are they in for reach? Touch? And can you grapple if you connect on a unarmed attack at Short range then, since it would change the distance for reach?

Thirdly, is escaping a grapple an opposed test? I am not sure if I am reading the book right, but it seems a bit vague on how to escape a grapple. From what I am reading, it seems it is an unopposed Brawn or Unarmed test, which seems wrong to me.

Thank you for any answers.

Zash said:
For the Legend system:

Ok, here is the situation. Character A just had their leg seriously wounded by character B, and cannot attack for 3 rounds. A's next defense is a critical, and manages to push B back with bash opponent. B is using a shorter weapon than A, so has to close in to attack. Would A be able to resist B's closing with a weapon skill? Or is that an attack that would be blocked by the pain from the serious wound?
p. 145, the character can still parry or evade. But B would not be prevented from closing in, unless A's weapon's Reach is two or more steps larger than B's (p. 139, "Weapon Reach - Closing and Disengaging," and "Closing").

A does not need to make any kind of an attack roll for this: it's assumed, going by the rules as written here, that A can still wave the point of his weapon menacingly and yell "Keep back!" through gritted teeth while favouring his uninjured leg.

Even if B cannot directly attack A during that time, B can still attempt Combat Manoeuvres such as Disarm to negate A's advantage.

Zash said:
Second, if someone grapples their opponent, what range are they in for reach? Touch? And can you grapple if you connect on a unarmed attack at Short range then, since it would change the distance for reach?
For grapples, the Unarmed Reach is Touch (p. 128, "Weapon Size and Reach"), whether you are going for a limb grapple or a full-body wrestling hold. Once the grapple is established the character can substitute Brawn for Unarmed if his Brawn is higher, but he still needs to close in (p. 139) and use Unarmed to grapple versus the opponent's Evade or Unarmed to establish the grapple in the first place.

Zash said:
Thirdly, is escaping a grapple an opposed test?
No, it's an Unarmed (or Brawn) Defensive Combat Manoeuvre, Slip Free (p. 135).

In this case, the weapon sizes were different, a spear vs a dagger. I was wondering if the resisting close there with a weapon skill was an attack or not. Forgot to mention that, arory.

A can threaten B with his weapon but can't stop B from closing with him because it is an attack. A can however try and maintain the distance but this would be at a penalty due to injured limb.

The range for ALL unarmed attacks is touch unless the creatures natural weapons state otherwise.

Given that it is an opposed Unarmed attack roll vs the Defenders Unarmed or Brawn skill (whichever is higher) to initiate or prevent a grapple in the first instance and there is nothing in the rule book to the contrary, I would rule that is the same to break free from a grapple with each test requiring the expenditure of a CA from the combatants.

Back