Legend for just $1!

MongooseMatt

Administrator
Staff member
We have just posted Legend and Monsters of Legend on DrivethruRPG - and we are letting the 100% Open Content core rulebook go for just $1!

Using the core rules from RuneQuest II, Legend is a new fantasy roleplaying game that serves as the basis for a multitude of settings and worlds. 100% compatible with all previous RuneQuest II books, including Elric of Melnibone, Deus Vult and Wraith Recon, Legend repackages the rules into a new digest-sized, Open Content format.

You can grab it from Drivethru for just $1 at;

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product_info.php?products_id=97239

I've just downloaded it and taken a quick look.

The good - it has bookmarks and it has layers (you can turn the graphics and the backgrounds off).

The not so good - some of the art is in the graphics and some in the backgrounds layer. The page background is in the Master Layer.

For example page 189 the art of the woman with crossbow is in the backgrounds layer, the black borders topping and tailing the art is in the Art layer.

All in all this is very minor - as I would see people wanting to turn all graphical stuff off for printing or viewing on a slow tablet or phone.

Very Nice Mr. Sprange

And at this price, I can justify getting the PDF and the Dead Tree version as well. And it reads quite nicely on my new Nook Tablet.

Thanks

How long's this offer for? I need to sort things out for tomorrow. I want to get this, but I can't get it today even though it's so cheap.

Tomorrow evening. Tomorrow morning, at the very earliest, is the best I can do. I really would hate for this offer to have expired by the end of tonight.

msprange said:
We have just posted Legend and Monsters of Legend on DrivethruRPG - and we are letting the 100% Open Content core rulebook go for just $1!

Using the core rules from RuneQuest II, Legend is a new fantasy roleplaying game that serves as the basis for a multitude of settings and worlds. 100% compatible with all previous RuneQuest II books, including Elric of Melnibone, Deus Vult and Wraith Recon, Legend repackages the rules into a new digest-sized, Open Content format.

You can grab it from Drivethru for just $1 at;

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product_info.php?products_id=97239

Bought it, downloaded it, printed it, bound it!

I wasn't going to buy Legend, because I have RQII. But it is worth every penny of the 66p I paid for it. :twisted:

Well, it seems I'm a bit of a latecomer!

The core book and monsters will soon be in my possession! <rubbing hands and cackling with maniacal glee)

alex_greene said:
How long's this offer for?

It is not an offer. We have no intention right now to change the price :)

That is not to say we won't later on - but no plans as of now...

Either way, I found it online while looking for Traveller stuff and I have to admit, the system is very interesting.

It's very similar to a sci-fi system a friend and myself made up, but with a few notable changes, making it very comfortable to grasp for me.

I think the $1 rulebook is an excellent idea, since it makes it much easier to evaluate the basic rules and would eliminate all piracy - after all, anyone not willing to spend 69p on a rulebook deserves to be strung from the yardarm... cost is often one of the major reasons - eliminating that pretty much leaves them no excuse for doing so.

Might I also suggest doing something similar with the Traveller rulebook when things online sales slow down? I've now got a mind to picking up the Legend rulebook in hardback over the coming year, along with the supporting books... it's a similar idea to the IT industry selling cheap printers - once you're in their pocket, you'll pay out for more expensive ink - in your case, a cheap online rulebook allows people to fully evaluate your system and then run a game or two off it... which means, sooner or later, they'll want paper copies and/or extra books.

andyl said:
I've just downloaded it and taken a quick look.

The good - it has bookmarks and it has layers (you can turn the graphics and the backgrounds off).

The not so good - some of the art is in the graphics and some in the backgrounds layer. The page background is in the Master Layer.

For example page 189 the art of the woman with crossbow is in the backgrounds layer, the black borders topping and tailing the art is in the Art layer.

All in all this is very minor - as I would see people wanting to turn all graphical stuff off for printing or viewing on a slow tablet or phone.

I'll get this fixed up for you!

Well I wasn't going to get the LEGEND core rules as I already have MRQ2, but I was going to keep supporting the product line for the MRQ2/LEGEND setting sourcebooks.

But for $1 how could I NOT get this pdf! So I grabbed it, because I was interested all the same. Now I may even buy the core rules just to support the line and get it off to a good start, as the $1 pdf is very generous I must say.

What a great buy, I shall eagerly devour these rules tonight. Thanks for the generosity!

cheers

I looked at the hardcopy in my LGS this week and passed on it simply because I don't think I will get round to playing it, however when I saw the PDF for $1 I knew I would buy it because its practically free!

However, the bookmarks in my downloaded copy do not appear to be working - is anyone else having this issue? Also although I am glad that this PDF has bookmarks, I am a little disappointed that they are only for the chapter headings and not any deeper - this limits the usefulness of the PDF for me unfortunately.

Still, for $1 I can't complain too much :)

DigitalMage said:
However, the bookmarks in my downloaded copy do not appear to be working
I just got an email saying Legend had been updated and so downloaded the PDF again and lo and behold the bookmarks are working, yay!

I would still love a bit more depth to the bookmarks though :)

Kick ass....

Got it, got Monsters of Legend too while I was at it. Still waiting for the print copies to come in (they are on the way though) but the $1 deal is a real boon, as it will make it much easier to convince skeptical cohorts to buy and try, as I've been telling all my players for years that RQII/Legend is my preferred system of choice and that we should be doing more of it and less of 4E/PF. I have one group that relented and now quite enjoys rotating their regular game with my RQII game, but if I could get my other group to do it as well, it would be a major coup for my fun factor, heh...anyway, the cheap entry cost will facilitate this for me greatly. May even buy them as gifts if rpgnow has that option.

Can I also say: Excellent plan with the cover, Matthew and co... a plain cover always looks better on the shelf and helps to unify the whole collection. My Traveller collection looks good and the Legend one that will someday sit alongside it will also look as good. Compare that to the Rifts and Shadowrun collections on the same shelf and they look chaotic and disorganised. If nothing else, I'd strongly recommend keeping the spines the same since it does make for a really nice look.

I'd say that the $1 offer was very wise in my case... as if Mongoose wasn't already making me struggle in its web enough, with Traveller, ACTA: SF and Prime Directive (and the old Dragon Warriors books I didn't grab in time), it now gets me snared in yet another collection... :(

If I'd known that the Runequest rules were like that, I'd have possibly grabbed them too... I got the old AH RQ boxes and the rules put me right off the licence... which in retrospect is a shame... but then I do prefer background-independant rules systems and separate background books since it saves on learning new systems.

I'd actually like to see an alternative background book for a sci-fi setting with these rules... but that's just me and I'm going off-topic, so I'll just shut up now. :D

Back