Lankhmar Unleashed Errata - Ready for Download

MongooseMatt

Administrator
Staff member
We can only apologise for how long this has taken, but we finally set aside the time this month to work through the errata for Lankhmar Unleashed, and bring it fully up to RQII spec.

You can now download it (and pick up the book at a very low price!) from;

http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/rpg/detail.php?qsID=1723

PhilHibbs said:
Code:
Weapons
Type  Size Reach Damage         AP/HP
Staff H    L     Instant Death*  6/12
Now that's a weapon!

Yay - lets kill one and take it's stuff!

Kill it *carefully* of course. Also, not a weapon you want to fumble with.

Simon Hibbs

Good to see this up. There are minor issues but only minor ones that I've noticed. Evaluate snuck into a combat style (fun but probably wrong - "I assess that your attack is worthless!") and Lore (World) pops up a few times where it probably ought to be Lore (Regional). Only systematic error is Fafhrd's and the Mouser's basic and advanced skill lists which are still MRQ1. Also I don't have the original but no one seems to have any Heroic Abilities listed in the errata.

Finally a bugbear of mine is that Brawn is rarely included despite the fact that I find it is used a lot in combat and Persistence is often missing. Evade is occasionally missing too. Finally, finally, you occasionally see stats where the skill given is actually lower than the base chance from characteristics. eg Simorgiyan Cloak Beasts have STR 21 DEX 11 but Athletics 10%.

These are largely details. Unless you're using a spreadsheet it is actually very hard to make sure the details in a stat block are internally consistent.

Deleriad said:
Finally, finally, you occasionally see stats where the skill given is actually lower than the base chance from characteristics. eg Simorgiyan Cloak Beasts have STR 21 DEX 11 but Athletics 10%.
It may be that Simorgiyan Cloak Beasts are described as having an unusually poor ability at athletics. I don't think all creatures have to have the same base chances as humans. Another example of this is in the Giant, which has listed STR 50, DEX 10, but Athletics only 44%. Should a 12m giant have Athletics 109%?

PhilHibbs said:
Another example of this is in the Giant, which has listed STR 50, DEX 10, but Athletics only 44%. Should a 12m giant have Athletics 109%?

That is something of a question. Back in the dawn of time I did ask whether it would be worthwhile having a maximum bonus of +25 to a skill from a characteristic.

E.g. If a giant has a STR of 40 and a STR 20 dwarf has a STR of 40 due to sorcery, should they both get 40% added to their Athletics and combat scores?

You could handle things on a case by case basis and give large things a situational modifier. After all a giant is probably no more accurate at throwing rocks as it gets bigger but it does get to throw bigger rocks. Thing is, if you start trying to add species modifiers to common skills it all gets very messy and most times the effect is not that obvious in play.

Deleriad said:
That is something of a question. Back in the dawn of time I did ask whether it would be worthwhile having a maximum bonus of +25 to a skill from a characteristic.
I don't think this can be fixed with a general rule like that, because a 6m giant probably should have 100% in Brawn, if not more.

Don't really know where to start but I'll give it a go.

Character Creation

Lore (World), Lore (Animal), Lore (Plant) still appear as common skills.

Only eight of the professions seem to have been updated (and six of these still with RQ1 common skills (see above)). If I want to create and Acrobat (just taking the very first profession on the list in LU as an example) I'll still get the RQ1 common skill Throwing which no longer exists in RQ2. Haven't looked at the others that aren't in the errata but I suspect this isn't an isolated example.

Sorcery

No errata at all - though if you create a Sorcerer from this errata you do get the RQ2 skill Manipulation - the Sorcerers in the NPC Stats still have the multiple Manipulation Skills - with there being no errata on Sorcery there is still no mention of what constitutes a RQ2 Grimore (a single spell ?) in LU.

NPC Stats

Fafhrd and The Grey Mouser - RQ1 Lores listed as Common Skills, Dance as an Advanced Skill - no Sorcery for The Grey Mouser (though this may have been a design choice - still a bit odd though)

Basic Typos

Swimming instead of Swim, Tracking instead of Track (again RQ1 instead of RQ2) Thief Second Class has a rather amazing Resilience of 4333%

Sorcery

No errata at all - though if you create a Sorcerer from this errata you do get the RQ2 skill Manipulation - the Sorcerers in the NPC Stats still have the multiple Manipulation Skills - with there being no errata on Sorcery there is still no mention of what constitutes a RQ2 Grimore (a single spell ?) in LU.
From my perspective this was the one of the key problems with the book, it would be good to get clarification as it still seems to be RQ1 magic mechanics.
But at least I get the feeling some-one has looked in to producing errata for what is a pretty cool setting.

Code:
Weapons
Type Size Reach Damage AP/HP
Staff H L Instant Death* 6/12

Now that's a weapon!
The gods of L are pretty nasty dudes - not sure if I'ld set my players against these entities as they're cities ultimate protectors/bogey-men, in a way the stats don't do them justice.

Any idea when the Necro Arts book will be errata-ed?

Back