[Land of the Samurai] Beginning skill points for characters?

Jed Clayton

Mongoose
Hi there.

Last night I found a group to play RQ Land of the Samurai with, something I've planned to do for a long time. My other RQ group plays on a medieval fantasy world we created ourselves, and my players from that group currently have no interest in Japan, Samurai, Buddhism, and all that.

When I opened the Land of the Samurai book again yesterday, I couldn't find all the info I was looking for immediately. (Damn, I should have remembered that the Courtesy skill was introduced in the RQ Companion, not in the RQ Main Rulebook ...)

My most pressing question, though, is this: Do new characters for Land of the Samurai also get the 100 free Skill Points at character generation? This is not expressly stated in the book. Since I figured it would be used in conjunction with the standard char-gen from RQ Main Rulebook/Deluxe, I assumed all player-characters get the 100 free points to be added to skills.

Maybe Larence had a different philosophy, though. I think it' possible that he thought Land of the Samurai characters would not get the 100 extra points, since they get Courtesy, access to Ki Abilities, spirit magic, On, and other benefits already.

'Land of the Samurai' character get the 100 skill points as well.

Character creation, aside from the specific differences mentioned in 'Land of the Samurai', is the same as for the RQ core rules.

Loz said:
'Land of the Samurai' character get the 100 skill points as well.

Character creation, aside from the specific differences mentioned in 'Land of the Samurai', is the same as for the RQ core rules.

Thank you very much, Loz.

I just wanted to make sure I got it right.

By the way, one of my new players from last night asked me right away how she could play a Miko -- commonly translated as a Shinto shrine maiden, or shrine guardian. They are very widespread in anime and manga.

I flipped the pages for character professions, and since I didn't want to disappoint the player, I said it would be equivalent to a beginning Kannushi (shinto priest) as a female. Would you agree?

Another player, not surprisingly, wanted to create a ninja.

In addition, three out of four players wanted to buy the Healing skill, ... maybe in expectation of what is coming. :wink:

I think the female Kannushi is the right fit for the shrine maiden, so I'd say go ahead!

Simon Beale has just finished the excellent 'Price of Honour' campaign for 'Land of Samurai', which I'm really looking forward to seeing in print. Heal will definitely be useful...!

Wow, I gotta make sure I get that campaign book when it's out in print. It's good to know that the line is being continued.

Looking forward to it. Thanks.

Back