Kai question

taylor

Mongoose
Can the kai have families and children? Is there anything in the background about this (not including the legends, which I don't really consider to be "official")?

Cheers. :D

Hmm, a good question, that ... Can't remember having seen anything about it in the gamebooks or newsletters.

Personally I would say they should be allowed to - after all, the potential for becoming a Kai lord does run in the blood, and if you gather up all the potentials you can get and make them Kai without allowing them to have children, you are effectively weeding them out!

(Of course that's a somewhat extreme depiction of the results, but nevertheless it would develop in that direction ...)

BTW, wondered about something like that when I watched the new Star Wars movies, as that "weeding out" seems to be exactly the thing the Jedi are apparently doing ... :? Therefore: No Jedi comparison from me this time! :D

Paido

P.S.: About the Legends, I completely agree! :wink:

There's nothing that states anywhere that the Kai cannot have families and children as far as I've seen. The only such restrictions on lifestyle seem to be regarding the accumulation of wealth, and any form of excess when it comes to indulgences. What this means, I take it, is that a Kai is nor permitted to go out and get roaring drunk or have casual sex. Granted, undercover missions can often require behaviour contrary to this, and that's fine, as long as it doesn't become a habit. But I imagine that Kai can fall in love and freely do all the things that go along with that. Granted, their tutors will have something to say if they are still only students at the monastery and not actual Kai Lords with their own homes to go to!

Just my thoughts on the matter.

Accumulation of wealth is disallowed? Um, does that mean I shouldn't have kept all six silver maces in book 5? And the diamond from Kalte, and the two diamonds from Kazan-oud, and the two vordak gems and 20 crypt spawn gems and you know, I think I may be in trouble here.

Reginald de Curry said:
Accumulation of wealth is disallowed? Um, does that mean I shouldn't have kept all six silver maces in book 5? And the diamond from Kalte, and the two diamonds from Kazan-oud, and the two vordak gems and 20 crypt spawn gems and you know, I think I may be in trouble here.
It does not count, I'd say. After all, an adventurer always need some spare weapons (very practical for when you free some prisoners, for instance). As for the diamonds and gems, well they could be used as bribe to get past some grumpy guards (and while they are mesmerized by their new acquisition and start calling it "my precious", then you can knock them cold and take back your precious, err your stone). Note I'm not refering to passages of the adventure books but RPG opportunities.

Reginald de Curry said:

I remember how you can get 20 crypt spawn gems and the two vordak gems, but how did you manage to find 6 Jewelled Maces (I think the most I recall ever accumulating was 2) :shock:

Heh heh, all kidding aside...I do recall as Lone Wolf doing some nasty things that in the Mongoose RPG would have conflicted with the Oath of Solaris (and gotten my character's hiney kicked out of the Order) :oops:

Yeah, you opened the box in the zakhans palace, and it had 5 maces, but you could only take one. It says so in the text.

But i took all of em anyway. I'm a gamer, fer crissakes.

From Shadow on the Sand, Section 35:

You discover six silver-handled maces, each beautifully carved and encrusted with rubies, emeralds and pearls. In the Northlands these weapons would fetch thousands of Crowns. At the bottom of the chest, you also discover a small Copper Key. If you wish to take either a Jewelled Mace or the Copper Key, or both, mark them on your Action Chart as Special Items. You carry the Copper Key in the pocket of your tunic and the Jewelled Mace tucked into your belt.

As it doesn't forbid taking more than one mace outright, I interpret that to mean you can take as many as you want, if your don't mind your belt clanking.

Back